Jenifer (Zarknorph)

The Midnight Castle Forum On Delphi

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)|All FAQs Answered Here!

A forum devoted to the FTP game Midnight Castle. All formats and platforms. Find Friends, learn tips and tricks, read strategy guides, ask for help or just kick back in Fletcher's Tea Room and dodge the odd explosion.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Midnight Castle doesn't likemy new computer   Technical Issues

Started Oct-19 by BrenHawk; 1786 views.
AllanaX7

Oct-31

Hi Bren

I'm new at this Forum but I think I can help you if you still want to try. I have lots of players that sometimes I have to transfer when I change computer or another hard disk. Let's do it slowly. It's a simple procedure but you can't lose any detail. The text is long because I am trying to explain it very careful.

But first, I suggest not to play your game right now until this fix update be released. I hope you had not been affected and had your game returned to level 1, when you tried to use the backup of your old computer and the game shut down. 

Anyway, let me review your situation:

You have an old ID (113683) and the backup files of the old player Brendan, correct?

You got a new computer and you installed Midnight Castle. When the installation was completed you double-clicked the game icon and it took you direct to Level 1 with a new ID player (ID 915103).

Then you played a little, quit the game and decided to replace those files in AppData/Roaming with the ones of your backup. Unfortunately it didn't work. You were there looking at the opening screen, getting a "Checking cloud" message before the game shuts down. 

Well, for start you have to be sure that those backup files you have are: 

- a folder named content, with a lot of files .pck in it

- a file named logfile.txt 

- a file named save.db

- a file named settings.json

All these files must be inside the folder Midnight Castle and this folder has to be inside another folder named Elephant Games. The backup of your game starts at Elephant Games folder. That's what you have to backup on your pendrive. 

So, this is the path of your game: AppData/Roaming/Elephant Games/Midnight Castle > and the four files I've listed above (3 files and 1 folder). Remember that AppData  is a hidden folder of Windows (C:\User\"userName"\AppData).  OK, now put this aside.

Mara1022 suggested in her post:

- to create a new user in windows on your computer, 

- to give that user access to all files; 

- and then switch to that user.

That is correct and the best thing to do when you want to have multiple players. Somehow, replacing the new files from a new ID to the older one you had backup don't work, because somewhere, deep inside Windows, the files from Midnight Castle in this user are already defined. And how can you do all these things?

1)  go to the Control Panel of your Windows (it's inside Settings) and click on User Account. Then select to "manage another account" and right below the list with all users of your computer you click on "create a new account". OK? Repeating: Control Panel > User Account > manage another account > create a new account.

2) Now you have a blank field to write the name of your user. Let's use Brendan, for example. Then, you have to choose if this user will have total access (administrator) or will be a simple user (default).

I prefer to have just one Administrator at my computer. To play Midnight Castle, you don't need to give full access to all users you have. But the choice is yours and it doesn't affect the game. So, choosing between Administrator or default user don't change anything.

3) Now that you created the account "Brendan", close all windows and logoff. It's not to turn off the computer, but to close the user you are in and switch to the user "Brendan" that you just created. I don't know which Windows you are using but you can find this option clicking the Windows button.

4) Once you logged off the previous user, you have now to login on Brendan and open the desktop. Please do not start the game yet. 

5) Next, you go to Brendan folder to locate the AppData/Roaming folder. ATTENTION: you will not find any Elephant Games folder into the AppData/Roaming. YOU MUST COPY the folder Elephant Games (and automatically all files inside it  will be copy too) and PASTE inside the folder Roaming. Remember the path I wrote before? AppData/ Roaming are folders from Windows. Repeating: double-click the folder AppData> double-click the folder Roaming and then paste the folder Elephant Games into it. If the Elephant Games folder is not placed correctly, the game will not start or you will see a brand new ID instead of the player Brendan. So far so good?

6) Okay, now you have a user Brendan and a folder Elephant Games with all the game files you want. Close all windows. 

The next thing to do is to click the icon that opens the Midnight Castle game. I believe this will put your old game back again. The BigFish screen will show up and I think you will see at the bottom-left side of Midnight Castle's opening screen your ID 113683. My fingers are crossed. 

BrenHawk

Oct-31

Okay, I'm going to try this and see if it works. Before I do so, I have one question: Once I've done this, am I going to have to change users every time I want to play Midnight Castle? I have re-installed a bunch of my old BF games and started playing one which has set up a roaming app under Elephant Games using my current user. What would happen when I try to start a new game; will it open the game files under whatever user I am currently on?

LvlSlgr

Oct-31

This is just my opinion ... There's no need to create a new user for Brendan.

With the new PC you have already installed the MC game but it has a different/new game ID. Just make a copy of the entire Elephant Games folder on the old PC. Then return to the new PC and rename the existing Elephant Games folder to something else ... maybe add today's date at the end. After doing that then load the copied Elephant Games folder (from the old PC) into the new PC in the Roaming folder. Close all of the folders and shut down the new PC. When you bring it back up and open Midnight Castle it should be your old game with the old game ID. 

These are the instructions Dhyani gave us in this forum about 2 years ago. Last December when I got a new laptop I followed her instructions and it worked for me without any problems.

BTW ... you are one of my oldest friends in the game and I would hate to lose you.

Good luck!

BrenHawk

Oct-31

Are you talking about the "backup file set" -  content, logfile, save, and settings - or the whole Elephant Games folder in the Programs folder? I already had the backup set saved and had copied that into the Roaming apps folder, but it didn't seem to help. Fortunately, my old PC still works, so if I need anything from it I can power it up and copy anything in it without any problem.

And thanks for your kind thoughts. I've been intermittently playing my laptop game (Hawk 724736), which is fortunately handling the October 4 update without any problems, but I'd really like to be able to play my desktop game too.

LvlSlgr

Oct-31

Yes, I copied the entire Elephant Games folder.

Actually, there are two methods recorded in this forum for moving your game to a new PC. One is by AEGram and one is by Dhyani. Click on the link below to find where Jenifer has a page with links to those two versions.

https://forums.delphiforums.com/midnightcastle/messages/3654/1

I used Dhyani's version because it was easier with just the one folder being copied. AEGram's version has you go into the Midnight Castle folder and copy specific files/folders.

Hawk is also one of my friends in the game. Good luck!

AllanaX7

Oct-31

Bren: Am I going to have to change users every time I want to play Midnight Castle?

Unfortunately, yes. I understood that your current user has now old games that you have re-installed and you would like to keep all BFG, including MIdnight Castle's old ID, there too. 

The text that I posted shows a safe way to recover your old player Brendan (once you had already tried to replace the files before and it didn't work). I do that because I have multiple players. But I wouldn't like to mess with the way you play your games.

So, maybe the best thing to do is follow what LvlSlgr said. It's true that there is no need to create a new Windows user and keep switching them everytime you play MC.

The most important thing to remember is: the entire folder "Elephant Games" from your old PC (C:/User/"yourname"/AppData/Roaming/Elephant Games) has the files that Midnight Castle need to open your old ID. 

If you copy and paste just the "backup file set" individually, not replacing the existing folders Elephant Games and (under its folder) Midnight Castle in your new PC, I believe your game 133683 will not open.

Be careful: we are not talking about the folder "Midnight Castle" under Program Files. This one has the file that runs the game and other important files too.

Going on... you asked: What would happen when I try to start a new game; will it open the game files under whatever user I am currently on?

I don't think so. Each user has its own game/players from BFG. 

Hope you will have your game back after the help from all of us. 

BrenHawk

Nov-1

SUCCESS!!!!!!

I booted up my old computer and copied the entire Elephant Games folder from Roaming onto a thumb drive, then copied that to Roaming on the new computer, and everything works. I have my original game from where I had last played it, and didn't loose a thing. I had a ton of items from friends to claim (including the 150 diamonds from the Mailman), the latest upgrade seems to be in full effect, and everything is great. Bring on the Fall Event!

Thank you all for your assistance. Now I just need to remember to back up properly; I had only been saving the Midnight Castle Folder instead of the whole Elephant Games folder.

LvlSlgr

Nov-1

OMG!!

I told you that Dhyani's method worked for me when I got my new laptop. I'm so happy it worked for you also!!

BTW ... don't play your game until the next update which should have the fix for the problems people are currently having. If you play you're taking a chance of having a problem with the Save and going back to Level 1. And the backup you have will not work if this happens. In my opinion, it's better to be safe and just wait it out.

See the source image

• Edited November 1, 2021 12:12 pm  by  LvlSlgr
BrenHawk

Nov-1

When I started up the game to test it I got a small update (about 15 items, if I recall). I had read about all the problems people were having, so all I did was check to be sure I hadn't lost anything, and that I seemed to have gotten the ability to advance beyond the pre-10/04 stopping point (but didn't try to do anything).

On my laptop game I haven't had any problems with the 10/04 update. I've been playing on the laptop every two or three days, and advanced to the lext level without any problems. I guess I've just been lucky.

AllanaX7

Nov-1

That's awesome, Bren!! I'm very happy for you. 

OMG, that's great!

Now that you've already updated your game save this current Elephant Games folder - because the one from your old PC got out of date. Be careful not to switch the game backup from PC with the other in your laptop (724736). I use to create a folder with the number ID and under it the EG folder.

And then wait for next update of the game. Today I read another post of someone restarting at Level 1. It is scary. In this case, the Elephant Games folder backup won't help you. There will be no alternative way to recover the game unless you ask Elephant Games or Big Fish to restore your player.

Have fun when the Fall Event starts!