Other Countries -  St. Vincent To Issue Sexy Stamps (1768 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Lloyd (LLOYDSTAMPS) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host10/15/11 6:49 AM 
To: George (GEORUPPEL) unread  (30 of 36) 
 15262.30 in reply to 15262.28 
" What are the chances that these "stamps" would ever come on the market postally used? "
Well, as CHEESEHEADUB indicates, pretty good - depending on how you define "postally used." Some collectors refuse to accept anything sent by a philatelist as "postally used," but I disagree with that view. And if that view is applied to the U.S., it would be pretty hard to assemble a collection of recent U.S. "postally used."

Reply   Options 

To: Lloyd (LLOYDSTAMPS) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (31 of 36) 
 15262.31 in reply to 15262.30 

I wonder if they'll actually be sold at post offices on St. Vincent. 

From: Ian Billings (NORVIC) Posted by host10/31/11 4:49 PM 
To: evergreen11 unread  (32 of 36) 
 15262.32 in reply to 15262.31 
If you look at the earlier posts you will see that these were issued some time ago, so if you go to St Vincent you might not find them now.

Ian Billings  - sorry, I don't use the Delphi PM system and it's unlikely I will see any Private Messages sent to me.

Our GB stamps information website: http://www.norphil.co.uk   Our blog on British stamps: http://norphil.blogspot.com/
Our online shop for stamps, fdcs, world postal history, and picture postcards: http://www.norphil.co.uk/catalog and follow us on twitter http://twitter.com/#!/Ian_norvic

To: evergreen11  (33 of 36) 
 15262.33 in reply to 15262.31 

Commercial mail from St. Vincent is not commonly found.  One dealer I am acquainted with has access to such mail, and I have looked through his offerings at stamp shows over the years. 

A census of inland commercial mail that he receives suggests that only one or two basic definitive stamps are consistently being used.  None of the few hundred covers he had on hand were franked with the many topical stamps printed by IGPC.  One of the reasons these stamps are not being used is that IGPC tends to not make denominations available that pay basic inland rates.  Higher denominations are printed to market to collectors, not to satisfy postal needs on the island.

Further, it is my understanding that Scott editors struggle with the problem of whether or not to list St. Vincent new issues.  Their argument (and it's a good one) - if the stamps can't be found or are not being used in the country of origin, why should they be listed?

I, for one, would like to know IGPC's thoughts on the this matter.

Richard L. Beecher

To: All  (34 of 36) 
 15262.34 in reply to 15262.31 
As I stated before IGPC has produced some stamps on behalf of Mongolia. Not so many these days which is a good thing. They are usually only available at the main post office here in Ulaanbaatar and sometimes it takes a while before they surface in Mongolia. Also the latest ones produced, the wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton are at least at the correct face value of 1200 Tugrik, which is the rate for a 20 gramme letter to anywhere in the world. So it is not all bad, but I am not a big fan of IGPC.

To: richardlater unread  (35 of 36) 
 15262.35 in reply to 15262.33 
In my opinion, this is a good argument for Scott returning to its former policy of relegating such products to a "For the Record" section at the end of the catalogue.  Listing stamps that may not even really be postal issues just wastes space and drives up catalogue prices.

To: richardlater unread  (36 of 36) 
 15262.36 in reply to 15262.33 

"I, for one, would like to know IGPC's thoughts on the this matter."

Their thoughts - $

First Discussion>>

Navigate this discussion: 1-9 10-19 20-29 30-36
Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.