General "Message" Discussion -  The Third Commandment (197 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 2) 

The Third Commandment:
"You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain, for the LORD will not leave him unpunished who takes His name in vain."
(Exodus 20:7)

Are you used to using the popular common term for surprise as represented by OMG? Or have you used His name as a swear word? Or flippantly used the word, "Hallelujah" (which means, "Praise Yahweh")? Maybe you made a promise, saying, "Swear to God, hope to die, stick a needle in my eye," or "May God strike me dead." Maybe you swore an oath in a courtroom trial to tell the whole truth, "so help you God," then told a white lie (or worse) during your testimony. These are all examples of how people use God's name in a way that dishonors Him at best, and insults and belittles His very being at worst. One may say, "But I don't believe in God," or, "It's just a little thing--I didn't mean anything by it." That doesn't matter, God said He will not leave him unpunished who takes His name in vain. That is, He does not take it lightly when we take His name lightly.  The Bible calls this blasphemy. What does His name represent? It represents all that is True and Holy. It represents all the power of the Universe. It represents True Judgment. To take God's name in vain is to demonstrate disrespect for our Creator, the One Who gave us life and holds it in His hands, the Judge of the world and our only hope for salvation and eternal life. To take His name in vain is to blaspheme God in His full presence--in the very presence of the One Who said He will not leave him unpunished who takes His name in vain. It's not just a good idea; it's a personal command to each and every one of us from God our Creator!

"Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, [be] honour and glory for ever and ever. Amen."
(I Timothy 1:17)
  • Edited December 30, 2016 7:58 am  by  JohnK63

Reply   Options 

To: All  (2 of 2) 
 3378.2 in reply to 3378.1 

What is the name of God? He revealed His name in the Hebrew Bible as YHVH. We call that the Tetragrammaton, which means, the "four letters". The corresponding letters in the English alphabet would be YHWH, or JHVH. We would pronounce God’s name as Yahveh, Yahweh, or Jehova, but those are only guesses since the Tetragrammaton has no vowels. William Branham had a problem with the literal name of God. Twice in 1957, once in 1960, and once in 1963 he said the name of God was JVHU. He never correctly identified God by the biblical Tetragrammaton. Of all people, one would think a prophet of the LORD would get God's name right.

Is that a form of taking God’s name in vain?  Or is it perhaps a form of blasphemy?  I don’t know.  In any case, I don’t believe WMB was ever guilty of using God’s name as so many do today by saying OMG (at least not on tape). I'm sure he didn't use His name as a swear word.  I don’t know that he ever made a flippant oath by His name.  But he did do something very serious, so serious that it could be considered outright blasphemy.  

William Branham said “thus saith the Lord” on many occasions when the Lord didn’t say what WMB said He did.  Every time WMB made a prophecy, punctuating it with, “thus saith the Lord,” and it failed to come to pass exactly as predicted, he used God’s name in vain.  Every time he predicted anything in the name of the Lord and it failed to come to pass, he tarnished the name of God.  Every time WMB taught something that he said came from the Bible when it didn’t (such as Serpent’s Seed) he was attributing that false teaching to the Holy Spirit who taught no such thing.   Everything WMB predicted, taught, or said in his role as a prophet of God which deviated in any way from the truth was a slander against God, a horrendous misuse of God’s name.  In short, William Branham demonstrated a most serious way to use God’s name in vain every time he practiced his self-proclaimed authority as a prophet.

Read Jeremiah 23.   The entire chapter is an indictment against prophets like WMB.  I will quote just a portion where Jeremiah speaks for the LORD:

"I have heard what the prophets have said who prophesy falsely in My name, saying, ‘I had a dream, I had a dream!’  How long? Is there anything in the hearts of the prophets who prophesy falsehood, even these prophets of the deception of their own heart,  who intend to make My people forget My name by their dreams which they relate to one another, just as their fathers forgot My name because of Baal?  The prophet who has a dream may relate his dream, but let him who has My word speak My word in truth. What does straw have in common with grain?” declares the Lord.  “Is not My word like fire?” declares the Lord, “and like a hammer which shatters a rock?  Therefore behold, I am against the prophets,” declares the Lord, “who steal My words from each other [as WMB did from false prophets such as Charles Taze Russell, Joseph Smith, Edgar Cayce and others].  Behold, I am against the prophets,” declares the Lord, “who use their tongues and declare, ‘The Lord declares [in other words, “thus saith the Lord].’  Behold, I am against those who have prophesied false dreams,” declares the Lord, “and related them and led My people astray by their falsehoods and reckless boasting; yet I did not send them or command them, nor do they furnish this people the slightest benefit,” declares the Lord.
(Jeremiah 23:25-32)

"Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, [be] honour and glory for ever and ever. Amen."
(I Timothy 1:17)
  • Edited February 28, 2017 10:36 pm  by  JohnK63

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.