Polls & Quizzes -  Which Would You Rather Give Up? (505 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (21 of 53) 
 3738.21 in reply to 3738.16 
Wifi is not an option at this time.

To: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (22 of 53) 
 3738.22 in reply to 3738.1 

> Which would you give up? Your computer or your books?

What a great question!

I consider the computer and its by-products -- e.g., the internet and ebooks -- to be among the most important achievements in the history of our species on this planet. (I typically wax poetic at this point, and go on for paragraphs about how wonderful they are, but I'll do my best to restrain myself.) On the other hand my house is full of books, accumulated over a lifetime,  in bookcases and even in stacks on the floor in my storage room.

Reply   Options 

To: All  (23 of 53) 
 3738.23 in reply to 3738.22 

My first inclination was to give up the books, when suddenly I recalled the anthology of family letters that I edited, going back to the 1800s. Besides ancestors I didn't know, it contains the letters of loved ones who are now dead, and is the closest thing I have to still having them with me. To abandon that book would be to abandon them.

Then it occurred to me that I have a plain text file of the letters (and image files of the scanned photos). I could convert them into an ebook. That being so, I'd have no problem giving up the physical book. The same goes for other personal items like school yearbooks (I was a teacher for a few years and have several of those). They could be scanned and viewed in electronic form.

So with the provision that I can scan and retain the contents of whatever books I wish, I'd definitely choose to give up my books and keep my computer.

To: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (24 of 53) 
 3738.24 in reply to 3738.18 

I just read what you said about your Kindle and I forgot about that.  I read on my Kindle half of the time.  I would need my computer for that and the books I download from the library.  I guess I couldn't give up either one. frown

border=

To: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (25 of 53) 
 3738.25 in reply to 3738.16 

> All the book places ..amazon ...barnes & noble ... etc have their own version of an e-reader.  I happen to like amazon because the book choices are jut never ending.  You will need wi-fi.

Maybe for Kindle, but I have an old Barnes & Noble Nook (Simple Touch model). It has wifi capabilities, but I keep wifi turned off for security reasons and transfer books from my desktop to the Nook though a USB cable (with miniature plug on the Nook) or on a microSD.

I haven't checked the Kindle site lately, but recall that in the past Amazon made many classics available for free in Kindle format. I downloaded hundreds of them at the time (in case they later changed their policy). Once on my desktop, I could use one of various free programs to convert them to a form that my ebook reader can handle.

(Actually I can now read them in the Kindle format itself because I've done something called "rooting" the Nook -- 35916.1, Dictionary.com forum thread about that -- which allows me to break loose from the proprietary software and run other programs. This is totally legal, but it invalidates the Nook warranty, long expired anyway on the Simple Touch.)

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMay-26 9:51 PM 
To: Song~ (_Song_) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (26 of 53) 
 3738.26 in reply to 3738.20 

I do so many things on my computer ... I would be totally lost.

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMay-26 9:52 PM 
To: kizmet1  (27 of 53) 
 3738.27 in reply to 3738.21 

Keep it in mind for someday  :-)

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMay-26 9:53 PM 
To: gjones2two  (28 of 53) 
 3738.28 in reply to 3738.22 

When you some right down to it , it's a hard decision to make .... especially if you use the computer for a variety of activities.

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMay-26 9:55 PM 
To: gjones2two  (29 of 53) 
 3738.29 in reply to 3738.23 

There are so many things you can do with the computer.  I'd be happy without physical books as long as I could convert them all to e-books.... except for a few :-)

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMay-26 9:55 PM 
To: Tedster (MARCIASC)  (30 of 53) 
 3738.30 in reply to 3738.24 

It's nice to know that none of us have to really make that choice  :-)

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-20 21-30 31-40 41-50 51-53
Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.