Polls & Quizzes -  Which Would You Rather Give Up? (508 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (41 of 53) 
 3738.41 in reply to 3738.39 
LOL

From: Dragoness (1Dragones) DelphiPlus Member IconMay-31 7:27 PM 
To: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (42 of 53) 
 3738.42 in reply to 3738.1 

If it had to come down to that choice, I'd give up the computer long before I would give up my books...

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMay-31 7:37 PM 
To: Dragoness (1Dragones) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (43 of 53) 
 3738.43 in reply to 3738.42 

I think most of us feel the same way!  I'm greedy ... I want both  :-)

Reply   Options 

To: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (44 of 53) 
 3738.44 in reply to 3738.31 

> I asked once if I could download books from Barnes & Noble onto my kindle.  I was told they were incompatible.  But yet, I can convert pdf to mobi which is what the kindle accepts.

As Bike says, "Two stage transfers are there, too complex for many readers (or too much of a hassle). There is almost always a way around a compatibility issue if you work at it." There's no problem moving public-domain epub and pdf files (readable on the Nook) to the Kindle. The problem is DRM-protected (Digital Rights Management) books obtained from the Barnes & Noble site itself (and apparently even its free books are DRM protected).

Here's a site that offers two programs, one to download books from the Barnes & Noble site to a PC (using old software -- Barnes & Noble no longer supports it), and the second to remove the DRM (Digital Rights Management) and convert the book into Kindle format -- Epubor (I don't recommend this method, though -- see next post).

• Edited June 4, 2018 9:49 pm  by  gjones2two

To: All  (45 of 53) 
 3738.45 in reply to 3738.44 

You work with publishers, though, and they may disapprove of this method as a hack. I don't consider it unethical myself, though, as long as you use only one copy of the book at a time and don't profit from selling multiple copies. Also, according to what I've read on the net forums, using just one copy hasn't been prosecuted in the United States.

I don't recommend this method, though. The Epubor software that will remove the DRM costs $39. For a little bit more, you can use a method without the drawback of doubts about its legitimacy. Also, though the Epubor site passed a malware-scanning test that I run in my browser, the downloads could contain bundleware, not necessarily viruses but annoying. (When downloading freeware or shareware, I avoid the default installation, choose the advanced one, and uncheck everything but what I'm sure I need.)

To: All  (46 of 53) 
 3738.46 in reply to 3738.45 

The best way I've seen so far to read Barnes & Nobles books on a Kindle is simply to buy an inexpensive Amazon Kindle Fire 7. Here it is for $49.99 at Amazon and at BestBuy.

"How to Get the Nook App on an Amazon Fire Tablet"

Also here's a YouTube video that shows "How to Download the Barnes and Noble Nook App on the Kindle Fire HD" -- YouTube. I imagine the procedure is about the same for the Fire 7.

• Edited June 4, 2018 9:58 pm  by  gjones2two

To: All  (47 of 53) 
 3738.47 in reply to 3738.46 

By the way, I notice that Barnes & Noble offers over 69,000 books for free at its site -- free books. Ordinarily I obtain epubs from public domain sites, but last week I read a couple from Barnes & Noble.

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJun-4 10:11 PM 
To: gjones2two  (48 of 53) 
 3738.48 in reply to 3738.44 

Don't think I'm going to try this .....  but thanks for the info!

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJun-4 10:14 PM 
To: gjones2two  (49 of 53) 
 3738.49 in reply to 3738.45 

I really wish someone would come up with a universal e-reader that would accept ebooks from everyone.  I certainly don't want to screw up my agreements with Netgalley and Edeweisee, plus all the other pulishers and authors that I deal with.  Think I'll just stick with what I have.  :-)

From: Hummingbird (GAHummer) DelphiPlus Member IconJun-12 2:14 PM 
To: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (50 of 53) 
 3738.50 in reply to 3738.1 

Books as I can read on my computer.

Hummie

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-20 21-30 31-40 41-50 51-53
Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.