Bible Topics & Bible Studies -  Tongues...Do you? Should You? (910 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host1/24/18 10:27 AM 
To: Ron Besser (RonBesser)  (21 of 27) 
 37985.21 in reply to 37985.19 

bob>Welcome to AAA, feel free to post on any tread you like or start a new one. Very informative post, thanks! I think we can see 3 different types of tongues in the NT. Pentecost, as you mentioned, Peter spoke in tongues that all of any language could understand. Paul spoke of a type of tongues he would speak in private, with no knowledge of what was being said and Paul also spoke of a tongue that was done in public but required an interpreter, this type of tongue was done for the purpose of non-believers, to show them it was from God. I have attended churches where tongues were a major part of every service, where everyone was expected to speak out loud in tongues and afterwards interpreters would stand up and tell what was said. What do you think?

Reply   Options 

To: anotherpaul DelphiPlus Member Icon  (22 of 27) 
 37985.22 in reply to 37985.20 

Speaking in tongues and the interpretation of that which is spoken is two different gifts.

No one person will ever have both gifts and the gift of speaking in tongues will not be

present with out an interpretation.

Both are gifts of the spirit and are not received until after baptism in the Holy Spirit. 

trees in front of church with cross 038 mosaic

1 Peter 1:15-16

Just as he who called you is holy,

so be holy in all you do;

for it is written:

"Be holy, because I am holy."

This member stands with Israel! 

"All posts are for "Fair Use" only"  

From: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host1/26/18 10:26 AM 
To: Abiathar DelphiPlus Member Icon  (23 of 27) 
 37985.23 in reply to 37985.22 

Speaking in tongues and the interpretation of that which is spoken is two different gifts.

No one person will ever have both gifts and the gift of speaking in tongues will not be

present with out an interpretation.

Both are gifts of the spirit and are not received until after baptism in the Holy Spirit.

bob>Welcome to AAA. I agree, but I have heard tongues spoken where no one was there to interpret or they couldn't interpret what was said. What does that mean?

• Edited January 26, 2018 10:28 am  by  Bob (Bobbylee7)

To: Abiathar DelphiPlus Member Icon  (24 of 27) 
 37985.24 in reply to 37985.22 

>>>Speaking in tongues and the interpretation of that which is spoken is two different gifts.

No one person will ever have both gifts <<<

I don't think THAT conclusion is warranted. Yes, they are two different gifts, but the idea that one person cannot have both gifts is not found in the scriptures. 

In fact, the scriptures say, "So anyone who speaks in tongues should pray also for the ability to interpret what has been said" (1 Corinthians 14:13)

So clearly it CAN happen that one person can both speak in tongues AND interpret as well. 

But it is true perhaps that USUALLY "someone will speak in a tongue and someone else should interpret" (vs 26)

But because of what it says in verse 13, we cannot make a hard fast rule about that to say that one person NEVER has both gifts. 

I have seen this in operation myself, and even I myself have both spoken in tongues and interpreted. Usually, however, I did not interpret MY OWN tongues speaking...but on a few occasions, when no Interpretation was forthcoming right away, I did. 

I believe that ANY believer can operate in ANY Spiritual Gift if they are open to it, and if they follow the leading of the Spirit (Manifestation Gifts)

But at the same time, each of us in Christ has certain gifts that are with us at all times (Resident Gifts...these are my own classifications, but they are consistent with what is revealed in Scripture). 

Secundus

• Edited January 28, 2018 6:44 pm  by  Secundus555

To: Abiathar DelphiPlus Member Icon  (25 of 27) 
 37985.25 in reply to 37985.22 

And not everyone is to do either one, so churches pushing it are ignoring God's word on it and in effect ignoring the Holy Spirit's direction sooooooooooooo.

To: anotherpaul DelphiPlus Member Icon  (26 of 27) 
 37985.26 in reply to 37985.25 

anotherpaul said...

And not everyone is to do either one, so churches pushing it are ignoring God's word on it and in effect ignoring the Holy Spirit's direction sooooooooooooo.

I actually agree with you on that one.

Secundus

To: Secundus555  (27 of 27) 
 37985.27 in reply to 37985.26 

Twice in a row we agree??? I almost swallowed my "tongue" and was left "speechless".bigSmile

One thing I have found is that for the vast majority of those claiming to be Christians is that we all agree on some very basic beliefs.

God exists

He sent His son to die for us

We must have faith in Jesus

The Bible is the way God has chosen to communicate with us.

Where the problems come in is where we begin to put the traditions of men, church membership, ego (I can't be wrong) ahead of what is actually said. If this was not happening there would not be over 36,000 denominations today.

First Discussion>>

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-20 21-27
Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.