Enjoy Delphi Forums ad free! Click here.
Bible Facts and Fun Topics -  Did the 12 Go Out To Other Nations? (341 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (11 of 30) 
 40916.11 in reply to 40916.3 

:)  I think you've forgotten that you already don't believe me, and probably still won't.  lol

From: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostSep-11 3:30 PM 
To: Caryn (haleyC987)  (12 of 30) 
 40916.12 in reply to 40916.11 

:)  I think you've forgotten that you already don't believe me, and probably still won't.  lol

bob>Hi, I want you and everyone to have a group discussion, we all love God, we love the bible and we all have our concepts, so let's all present them and see where we go. I do forget things, i'm old. !! 

Reply   Options 

From: Ginger (TGANNON) DelphiPlus Member IconSep-11 4:26 PM 
To: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (13 of 30) 
 40916.13 in reply to 40916.5 

Yep, Paul is the apostle to the Gentiles. I try to follow your posts to each other. I don't join in because I get too frustrated speaking to Corky.

Psalm119:105 "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path"

From: Ginger (TGANNON) DelphiPlus Member IconSep-11 4:28 PM 
To: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (14 of 30) 
 40916.14 in reply to 40916.12 

I do forget things, i'm old. !! 

Ginger>aha!  I see you finally admit it. 

Psalm119:105 "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path"

To: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (15 of 30) 
 40916.15 in reply to 40916.1 

Yes. They did.

What happened to the 12 disciples after the resurrection and ascension?

Sources on what happened to Jesus’ disciples:
Source #1: Hippolytus of Rome – Birth unknown, died around 236 AD

Source #2: Eusebius – Was the Bishop of Caesarea in Palestine, known as the “Father of Church History” because he wrote about the church history. Lived around 260-341 AD

1 – Judas

We all know what happened to him…

2 – Andrew – missionary to modern day Georgia/Bulgaria (area adjacent to the Black Sea near Turkey); martyred/crucified in town of Achaia (Greece)

He was a fisherman from Galilee; was Peter’s brother; brought Peter to Jesus; preached to the Scythians and Thracians; was crucified and buried at Patrae (Greece).

According to Hippolytus: Andrew preached to the Scythians [modern day Georgia] and Thracians [modern day Bulgaria, both Georgia and Bulgaria are adjacent to the Black Sea near Turkey], and was crucified, suspended on an olive tree, at Patrae, a town of Achaia [Greece]; and there too he was buried.

3 – Bartholomew – missionary to India; martyred/crucified upside down in Armenia (Georgia)

Bartholomew: From Cana in Galilee; also known as Nathanael; preached in India, to whom he also gave the Gospel according to Matthew; was crucified and buried in Allanum.

According to Hippolytus, Bartholomew preached in India (geography – moving to the east and to the south, you have Turkey, than Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan and then India: Bartholomew, again, preached to the Indians, to whom he also gave the Gospel according to Matthew, and was crucified with his head downward, and was buried in Allanum, a town of the great Armenia [modern day southern Georgia].

Eusebius, in his Church History, confirms the ministry of Bartholomew in India.

4 – James, Son of Alphaeus – local missionary in Jerusalem; martyred/stoned in Jerusalem

He was the son of Alphaeus, possibly Matthew’s brother; not to be confused with the son of Zebedee or the author of the Book of James (who was Jesus’ brother); when preaching in Jerusalem was stoned to death by the Jews and was buried there beside the temple.

Hippolytus identifies that James was stoned to death in Jerusalem: And James the son of Alphaeus, when preaching in Jerusalem, was stoned to death by the Jews, and was buried there beside the temple.

5 – James, Son of Zebedee – local missionary in Judea; martyred/beheaded in Judea

He was the son of Zebedee, brother to John; from Capernaum; referred to by Jesus as one of the sons of thunder; when preaching in Judea, was killed by Herod the tetrarch and was buried there.

James was the brother of John, the disciple “that Jesus loved.” According to the Book of Acts in the New Testament, James was killed by Herod:
Act 12:1 And at that time Herod the king threw on his hands to oppress some of those of the church.
Act 12:2 And he killed James the brother of John with the sword.

This is confirmed by Hippolytus: James, his brother, when preaching in Judea, was cut off with the sword by Herod the tetrarch, and was buried there.

Eusebius described more precisely what was cut off of James: First Stephen was stoned to death by them, and after him James, the son of Zebedee and the brother of John, was beheaded.

6 – John, brother of James and son of Zebedee – banished to Patmos; died of old age

John: The son of Zebedee, brother to James; from Capernaum; referred to by Jesus as one of the sons of thunder and identified as the disciple “whom Jesus loved”; he wrote the Gospel of John, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd John; in Asia, was banished by Domitian the king to the isle of Patmos where he wrote the Book of Revelation; died in Ephesus.

John was one of the few disciples that did not die a cruel death, but of old age.

Eusebius discusses the reason that John wrote his Gospel: Matthew and John have left us written memorials, and they, tradition says, we
...[Message truncated]

• Edited September 13, 2020 1:23 pm  by  Secundus555

From: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostSep-14 10:38 AM 
To: Ginger (TGANNON) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (16 of 30) 
 40916.16 in reply to 40916.13 

Yep, Paul is the apostle to the Gentiles. I try to follow your posts to each other. I don't join in because I get too frustrated speaking to Corky.

bob>He's a very different Catholic, he's actually read and studied the bible and presents the catholic view in detail with high understanding of the Catholic bible and dogma. I've learned much from Corky, we don't have a lot of Catholics here in Okalahoma, but in Kansas City, where my wife if from, there are many and her entire family were RCC, but not any more. When I talked to them about the bible, they didn't have much knowledge of it or the dogma of the RCC. 

From: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostSep-14 10:39 AM 
To: Ginger (TGANNON) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (17 of 30) 
 40916.17 in reply to 40916.14 

I do forget things, i'm old. !! 

Ginger>aha!  I see you finally admit it.

bob>Huh? Did I say that or was it you?? 

From: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostSep-14 10:40 AM 
To: Secundus555  (18 of 30) 
 40916.18 in reply to 40916.15 

bob>How do we know these "facts" are correct and is it even important to one's salvation? 

To: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (19 of 30) 
 40916.19 in reply to 40916.18 

Bob (Bobbylee7) said...

bob>How do we know these "facts" are correct

The same way we know who wrote the Gospels (since the Gospels themselves never identify their authors.) We know because of the Early Church Fathers, those men whom the Apostles themselves taught and the men whom those men taught.

We know because people who knew the Apostles and knew their rates after the Biblical account ended tell us so. Some of these are more certain than others, but we KNOW the Apostles went to foreign lands to spread the Gospel. 

Even Peter. He went to Italy and especially to Rome, where he served as Bishop there until he died, crucified upside down because "I am not worthy to die in the same manner that my Savior died." Peter was bishop of the Church at Rome which included both Jews and Gentiles. Most of the other Apostles died among gentile pagans in foreign lands. 

These are facts passed down to us by those who personally KNEW the Apostles, and those whom those men taught.

It is also completely contrary to the narrative you have created for yourself based on very questionable interpretations of the Scriptures about a two Church system, with a Jewish branch "The Way" and a Gentile branch (Christianity). This is another blow to the veracity of that narrative. 

Bob (Bobbylee7) said...

and is it even important to one's salvation? 

No, but it IS important for understanding Church History and the nature of the Church, and the mission of the Church.

Secundus

• Edited September 14, 2020 11:35 am  by  Secundus555

From: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostSep-15 11:07 AM 
To: Secundus555  (20 of 30) 
 40916.20 in reply to 40916.19 

Bob (Bobbylee7) said...

bob>How do we know these "facts" are correct

The same way we know who wrote the Gospels (since the Gospels themselves never identify their authors.) We know because of the Early Church Fathers, those men whom the Apostles themselves taught and the men whom those men taught.

We know because people who knew the Apostles and knew their rates after the Biblical account ended tell us so. Some of these are more certain than others, but we KNOW the Apostles went to foreign lands to spread the Gospel. 

bob>Per the bible, Paul, as far as I have found, is the only apostle that actually went to other lands, as he was the apostle to the gentiles. Christ told the 11 not to leave Israel till He told them to and we don't see in the NT that He did tell them to and I don't find in the NT where any of the 11 did go to other lands. Writtings outside the bible are not on the level as the bible, the RCC has lots of writting/dogma you and I don't accept, right? 

Even Peter. He went to Italy and especially to Rome, where he served as Bishop there until he died, crucified upside down because "I am not worthy to die in the same manner that my Savior died." Peter was bishop of the Church at Rome which included both Jews and Gentiles. Most of the other Apostles died among gentile pagans in foreign lands. 

bob>Does the NT say any of this? I know the RCC does. Do you agree Peter was the first pope? 

These are facts passed down to us by those who personally KNEW the Apostles, and those whom those men taught.

It is also completely contrary to the narrative you have created for yourself based on very questionable interpretations of the Scriptures about a two Church system, with a Jewish branch "The Way" and a Gentile branch (Christianity). This is another blow to the veracity of that narrative. 

bob>How so? Peter and the 12 were to Jews, which we see in the NT, Paul was the apostle to the gentiles, which is in the NT. 

Bob (Bobbylee7) said...

and is it even important to one's salvation? 

No, but it IS important for understanding Church History and the nature of the Church, and the mission of the Church.

bob>The problem with church history is it's written by man, right? 

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-20 21-30
Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.