US Politics -  Do video games trigger violent behavi... (701 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: BlueManDude Poll  (31 of 53) 
 6018.31 in reply to 6018.22 

Hope you'll be in line for one of those too.  

Then maybe someday you can get beyond posts that are juvenile insults. 

JOOC what grade are you in BlueManDude?

Reply   Options 

To: sbljr Poll  (32 of 53) 
 6018.32 in reply to 6018.31 

Dude, you post really ignorant crap, please don't be offended of anyone suggests you're lacking a brain.

To: Patrick Rock (PFR291) DelphiPlus Member Icon Poll  (33 of 53) 
 6018.33 in reply to 6018.23 

You can argue details and distortions of such statistics but it's a fact that the vast majority of gun homicides are committed with handguns not hunting long guns or even assault rifles.

Handguns are not sold at Walmart, nor are assault rifles such as the AK-47 type used by the El Paso shooter.

I think those NRA statistics were for all rifles because the NRA deems semi-auto assault rifles to be "hunting" rifles (they are legally used for certain types of hunting believe it or not).

So purpose-built hunting rifles like Walmart sells, mainly bolt-action deer rifles and small-caliber pest poppers, are probably used in even fewer homicides than NRA claims for "rifles."

From: Patrick Rock (PFR291) DelphiPlus Member IconAug-19 3:48 PM 
To: sbljr Poll  (34 of 53) 
 6018.34 in reply to 6018.33 

sbljr said...

So purpose-built hunting rifles like Walmart sells . . . are probably used in even fewer

You have already quoted NRA-manufactured "statistics" without actually understanding them, and now are defending them by claiming (without any proof) that I'm just reading them wrong.  The truth is that you really do not know.  What is worse to these eyes is that you do not actually care.

I've been in a number of arguments with NRA members, many times.  One of them once confidently quoted the stat to me that "more people die in beds as die from guns, by a factor of TWO" (the number "two" seemed important to him), followed by the de rigueur NRA rhetorical question, "should we ban those too?"  He got angry with me when I asked how many of those people were killed BY beds; he could not understand my point.  It was simply the most stupid statistic I had ever heard quoted, and he parroted it with absolute confidence because he had heard it used by NRA leaders and had never questioned it.

Find something OTHER than NRA- (or GOA-)provided arguments to attempt to make your point, and then maybe, MAYBE, someone here might take you seriously, but I can promise you that it will not be me.   You are nothing but a troll, and you are just trying to stir thing up.  Answer if you wish, but I am putting you on Ignore.  You are not worth the bandwidth.

To: Patrick Rock (PFR291) DelphiPlus Member Icon Poll  (35 of 53) 
 6018.35 in reply to 6018.34 

No, I'm not accusing you of reading anything wrong, nor am I defending NRA statistics or any of the goofy things you'll hear some members of that organization claim.

Gun control advocacy groups, at least the ones who pay attention to the facts, will also tell you that handguns do most of the killing not long guns intended for hunting purposes,  

All I'm questioning here is this "shaming" Walmart for continuing to sell any firearms whatsoever.

Should they do "penance" by no longer selling a product customers want, because one maniac with a gun (a gun that Walmart doesn't even sell) picked one of their stores to do his evil?

Anybody who thinks so is IMO profoundly ignorant of all guns, the differences between guns, and the differences between law-abiding people who choose to own and use them legally.

From: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostAug-19 6:09 PM 
To: sbljr Poll  (36 of 53) 
 6018.36 in reply to 6018.30 

sbljr said...

Guns made for hunting are not for killing people any more than rat poison, which is also sold at Walmart.

The point was that guns are made for killing (whether it be animals or humans) and baseball bats and hammers are not so the "then why don't we ban baseball bats?" argument falls flat.

Host of *Your Mileage May Vary

To: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon Poll  (37 of 53) 
 6018.37 in reply to 6018.36 

>>The point was that guns are made for killing (whether it be animals or humans) and baseball bats and hammers are not<<

"Why don't we ban baseball bats?" was not an argument it was a question.

You answered it.  I guess we agree things that can and do kill humans, but are not made for that purpose, should stay on the shelves at Walmart.

But are you saying products made to kill animals, presumably in a legal & responsible manner until the buyer acts otherwise, should be banned?

To: sbljr Poll  (38 of 53) 
 6018.38 in reply to 6018.37 

Guess what Walmart in Canada doesn't sell...guns & ammo... somehow people still manage to be free, like have freedom, without getting shot, en mass while shopping at Walmart, Canada.

From: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostAug-20 7:04 AM 
To: sbljr Poll  (39 of 53) 
 6018.39 in reply to 6018.37 

sbljr said...

But are you saying products made to kill animals, presumably in a legal & responsible manner until the buyer acts otherwise, should be banned?

No, but they CAN be used to kill humans so it's ironic that they still sell them while banning violent video games.

Host of *Your Mileage May Vary

To: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon Poll  (40 of 53) 
 6018.40 in reply to 6018.39 

>>No, but they CAN be used to kill humans so it's ironic that they still sell them while banning violent video games.<<

Got no problem with "ironic" since that quality is entirely in the eye of the beholder.

Continuing to sell sporting goods that didn't cause or even contribute to the El Paso tragedy was IMO just a reasonable business decision.

I do agree with others who think banning certain video games was a public relations stunt to appease demand that they look concerned about violence.

Wouldn't be surprised if those types of games are back on Walmart shelves in a year or two.

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-20 21-30 31-40 41-50 51-53
Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.