BreakRoom/Almost Anything Goes -  Call for teacher at the OK Retreat (331 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: Claylady43 (Penni_Jo)  (21 of 26) 
 69747.21 in reply to 69747.15 

Was there another word that works better than hoot?  Hmmm?

MK Ozarks

Reply   Options 

To: MaryKay71  (22 of 26) 
 69747.22 in reply to 69747.21 
MK, Probably not. I grew up in the hills of northeast Missouri where hoot is a very good word with multi-purposes. Who gives a hoot? He gives a hoot. She's a hoot, he's a hoot, who the hoot cares.

Add one letter and voila, another really good word -- shoot!

Oh Shoot! was the strongest expletive allowed in the family.

Shoot (v.) was what we went to the woods to do to get some dinner. As a 12 year old kid I could shoot a squirrel out of a tree with a 22. Shoot, in a hungry family, I was an asset.  

Hummmm, I'll bet I just sealed my hootedness. :-D

To: Claylady43 (Penni_Jo)  (23 of 26) 
 69747.23 in reply to 69747.22 

Hannibal, Bowling Green?  I grew up in the Ozark hills of north Arkansas. I know just what you mean.  We raised or grew most of what we ate.  The main things we bought from the store were flour, salt , sugar and such other staples.  I remember we used our first cake mix when I was around 12.  I didn't know you could buy bed sheets in a store until about that time either.  I probably thought everyone made them from feed sacks. I hope I'm not boring you, but it's fun to take a step back in time now and then.

MK Ozarks

To: MaryKay71  (24 of 26) 
 69747.24 in reply to 69747.23 
Kirksville and no boredom here. 

Yes, we did the same things as you mention growing up. Flour sacks were an important part of the home, making everything from tea towels to clothes for babies.

I too thought you made food from "staples" seasoned with bacon grease or lard. I learned to sew on a treadle machine when I was about 7 and I still love to sew.

It is fun to step back in time on occasion. It gives a great perspective on our lives when we look at our abundance today from the viewpoint of the past where outhouses and pumps for water were the norm.

To: Claylady43 (Penni_Jo)  (25 of 26) 
 69747.25 in reply to 69747.24 

Yep, I definitely have to come next spring.  I can see a lot of fun and laughter.  Did your mom ever get together with other ladies in the area to swap out feed sacks so they could get enough of one color to make a dress?  LOL

MK Ozarks

To: MaryKay71  (26 of 26) 
 69747.26 in reply to 69747.25 
No, she did not, but my granny, whom I lived with on and off, often got together and swapped a lot of things with the other ladies in town.

I remember quilt blocks and nightgowns from the feed sacks, along with pot holders, dish rags, dust cloths and, believe it or not, as sacks to hold stuff like outgrown clothes.

You have got to come next year. You'll fit right in!

First Discussion>>

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-20 21-26
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.