BreakRoom/Almost Anything Goes -  Hello again! (180 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Parymdk DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host11/10/12 9:42 AM 
To: ejralph  (11 of 17) 
 69974.11 in reply to 69974.7 
about as old and crusty as I am...but I don't have it growing out of my forehead. aren't you just the lucky one <g>

Dragonsglass.com
Creative Arts of the Soul

My Flickr Site

Reply   Options 

To: Parymdk DelphiPlus Member Icon  (12 of 17) 
 69974.12 in reply to 69974.11 

I know - I'm dreading the next full moon. Who knows what will appear?

Emma

To: ejralph  (13 of 17) 
 69974.13 in reply to 69974.1 
Hi Emma! 

I recently came back to PCC after being gone an age, too. So glad to see you! I remember always being so charmed with your "Illuminaire Range". I never knew why you called that line a "range". Fast forward many years I'm now married to a guy from the UK and have become fluent in Brit, so now it all makes sense!

To: gingersblue  (14 of 17) 
 69974.14 in reply to 69974.13 

Hi Ginger!

How great to hear you are now an honourary Brit!  I'll have to test you on your rhyming slang!

Thank you for your kind comments about my Illuminare beads! Although I wasn't aware that Illuminare was particularly a British thing? Is it? It comes from the Latin word and means to adorn as well as lighten. Eg Illuminated manuscripts

Actually, I've just published the tutorial for making my Illuminare beads - so you can make them for yourself if you like! It's available in my online store over at EJR Beads.

Emma

To: ejralph  (15 of 17) 
 69974.15 in reply to 69974.14 
Luckily, I picked up the rhyming slang fairly quickly. One day he was wandering around saying, "I can't find me titfer." And I was able to point him toward his hat. I'd figure it out. But the ones where I have no cultural reference are harder. Like when he said we needed to go out for a Ruby (a curry). Nope, didn't get that one!

I knew what Illuminare was, and it's the perfect word for those beads. But it's "Range" that's UK usage. Here in the US we would say "Line". As in "Come check out my new line of Christmas Ornaments." Subtle differences but that's the way many of the UK/US language things are. Very subtle.

Ooh, glad to know about the Illuminaire tutorial. I will have to go check it out. Thank you!

To: gingersblue  (16 of 17) 
 69974.16 in reply to 69974.15 

Ah it was the "range" that was different - lol, its amazing how many small differences there are that I just don't know about still.

Emma

www.ejrbeads.co.uk

www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop

From: Corgi (GOLDPEMCORGI) DelphiPlus Member Icon11/23/12 4:08 PM 
To: ejralph unread  (17 of 17) 
 69974.17 in reply to 69974.1 
Long time no see Emma.  I've been AWOL myself the last few years.  8-)

First Discussion>>

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-17
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.