BreakRoom/Almost Anything Goes -  Bangle Bracelet Forms (1247 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: manbeader DelphiPlus Member Icon  (27 of 44) 
 70313.27 in reply to 70313.1 

How about using soda (or whatever) cans that are full (and probably wouldn't dent as much), wrapped with a layer of paper. Create your bracelet, then to bake just gently slide the paper with the bracelet on it off and stand on your baking sheet.

Good luck! Lotsa good ideas here.

DebbieG

Reply   Options 

To: Debbie G / Twinkle (debtwinkle)  (28 of 44) 
 70313.28 in reply to 70313.27 
Thanks very much. You have all been very helpful. I always know that when I am clay stuck, I can come here for more ideas than I thought possible. :)

Message 29 of 44 was Deleted  

From: kathy47 (kth47) DelphiPlus Member Icon3/28/13 5:34 AM 
To: Debbie G / Twinkle (debtwinkle)  (30 of 44) 
 70313.30 in reply to 70313.27 
I'm not sure Deb but I think if you put a full soda can in the oven and heated it with the temp needed to cure clay that it would explode from the carbonation of the soda. I use empty cans and a paper sleeve but they don't dent, you just have to be gentle.

To: kathy47 (kth47) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (31 of 44) 
 70313.31 in reply to 70313.30 
I totally agree ! Probably not a good idea unless you're looking for an explosion to give your day a bit of excitement ! You could fill an empty can with some sand which would weight it down nicely. Otherwise I think this soda can idea is a really good one.

To: manbeader DelphiPlus Member Icon unread  (32 of 44) 
 70313.32 in reply to 70313.20 
manbeader:

The average soda can makes gargantuan cuffs; I'm sure they fit a lot of big people, but they sure as heck don't fit me and most of the people I know. We drop our arms by our sides and they simply fall off.

I use certain Arizona iced tea and Red Bull cans, which are 7.5" around, and also Starbucks glass bottles, which are gently squared. (By that, I mean they are roundly squared.) (The corners are rounded.) (Can you picture it yet? I hope it makes sense.)

I look suspicious at the bodega, measuring beverage cans I don't intend to drink!

I can't imagine what you're doing to dent a soda can; do you mean when you're trying to get the bracelet off? I wrap my cans/bottles in wax paper so the bracelets slide off.

I hope this helps,

Binky
  • Edited 4/2/2013 7:24 pm ET by BinkyMelnik

To: All  (33 of 44) 
 70313.33 in reply to 70313.32 
I tried my hand at a few polymer clay bangles but without a lot of luck. My bangles turned out too weak (possibly because I was using original Sculpey white as a cheap base material. Or maybe I was too aggressive with my stress testing - I am bad to play with my jewelry, especially bracelets and I wanted to make bangles that would withstand such tampering.

Does anyone else test out the flexibility of their finished bangles as much as I do?

Also,

I was wondering about using resin bracelet molds to form bangle bases - any tips/suggestions/words of warning?

To: Sarah (hipearth)  (34 of 44) 
 70313.34 in reply to 70313.33 
I broke all of the test bangles I made of solid clay because I fuss with jewellery :)

All of my bangles have cores of metal or cardboard now because of it.  Cuts down on amount of clay and weight, too.

Elaine

To: Elaine (tooaquarius)  (35 of 44) 
 70313.35 in reply to 70313.34 
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who fidgets with their jewelry.

I feel kind of silly for never having thought of using a cardboard cuff base before. I had assumed I would HAVE to get a metal base which concerned me both due to cost, as well as weight. My mom and I were even discussing the possibility of trying to cut old aluminum soup and soda cans to make bracelet blanks. I suppose we could still give it a try - but I definitely want to try out the cardboard too.

Any tips to help me avoid problems with making PC bracelets with cardboard bangle blanks?

To: Sarah (hipearth)  (36 of 44) 
 70313.36 in reply to 70313.35 
I actually use metal - aluminum foil, carefully folded or cut strips of flashing - since it can be thin (and it's much lighter than solid, sturdy clay).

Cardboard I've used with no issues. Some people suggest coating it with white glue and letting it dry to give it tooth but I didn't have a problem with that... I used  a couple layers of card stock.

Don't forget you can use floral or masking tape to stick stuff together and put clay right over that without an issue too. so wrapped paper and tape / foil to get your shape works just fine if you need bulk without weight.

Elaine

Navigate this discussion: 1-6 7-16 17-26 27-36 37-44
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.