---- SHOW N TELL---- -  TAW-July 7, 2016 (844 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (48 of 53) 
 71317.48 in reply to 71317.47 

Yes, i think so! I took a several year break...grief stole my joy for awhile...but the thrill and obsession is back in full force once again. For which i am grateful! 

Susan

Reply   Options 

To: aramina5 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (49 of 53) 
 71317.49 in reply to 71317.48 

Polymer clay set my world on fire 32 years creating a love of beautiful, tiny miniatures and grew from there. It changed my life for the better, and set my feet on a new path. It's been a wonderful journey and am glad to have met you and so many of the folks on this forum.  Thrill and obsession are most excellent descriptions.

To: Claylady43 (Penni_Jo)  (50 of 53) 
 71317.50 in reply to 71317.49 

I discovered polymer clay in 1999 right after graduation from college. I had spent 7 years deep in science text books and studying. So I was looking for an artistic outlet...a hobby that had nothing to do with school, lol. Googling hobbies I saw clay examples and was immediately hooked...even before touching polymer clay! It was crazy. I even dreamed of ideas for projects! So yeah, it has been and continues to be a most excellent journey. I am always amazed at friends and coworkers that have never even heard of polymer clay. How can that be!?! Anyway, finding PCC was life changing and I have learned so much and made many good friends. Some still here and others that have drifted away. Several I have met in person and others that I haven't...yet! My first project that was any good was Leigh's truleigh rose. Bliss and excitement!!! I still have a good sized cane of that very first one. And the journey began from there! (thanks so much, Leigh!!!)

I'm very glad to know you too, Penni_Jo!

Susan

To: aramina5 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (51 of 53) 
 71317.51 in reply to 71317.50 

You know, it might be fun to gather some stories of how people found polymer clay in a life changing way. Your story is similar to mine in some ways and very different in others. I discovered clay when I was 38 years old, and after running a studio of hand sculpted miniatures from tiny knick-knacks, little babies, and teddy bears to original porcelain dolls whose molds were created using my sculpted parts for seven years, was hired at 45 by United Design of Noble as a designer/sculptor. For the next 15 years I designed and sculpted gift ware, home accessories, animals and more. When the company was sold I did some designing and made original OOAK's for fun. When a little mold I made caught the eye of a friend, my husband said he thought he could sell it on Ebay. It sold, so I began sculpting more and more jewelry parts, making jewelry and selling molds. We have ended up over the last six or so years with a slowly growing company making original molds from my sculpts. Just enough for a couple of septuagenarians (we are both in our 70's) to stay busy but not too busy.  I love meeting all of the clayers online and at shows from coast to coast as we all love to clay, and enjoy the fellowship of other clayers while we play. 

Perhaps someday you and I will be claying at the same table and enjoying the excitement of learning and watching the clay become something special together. It's good to know you too Susan. (an easy name to remember, we have a daughter Susan).

To: Claylady43 (Penni_Jo)  (52 of 53) 
 71317.52 in reply to 71317.51 

I'd like that very much! It could happen :)

Your story is rather amazing...and wouldn't it be fun to hear other stories too!!! Chime in people!

Hubby and I are just turned 60 and contemplating retirement in the near (but not near enough) future. Your situation sounds perfect...something to do that is interesting to you and allows free time too. We have a plan for a small retirement business that combines his woodworking with my other love, spinning. He has a decent inventory of spinning tools he's made from fabulous rare woods. But he will not open our etsy shop until I retire to run it...that part is just not his "thing."

the other...Susan :)

To: aramina5 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (53 of 53) 
 71317.53 in reply to 71317.52 

You have a most excellent plan it seems. A good plan is like a road map. If you know where you are headed, you can know what you need for the trip and what it might cost.

Honestly, I think we lucked into a good idea. I had tried to sell my hand made jewelry that I created using my molds but did not sell very much at all. It was a flop but, when we began to sell the molds (which are actually tools) now that was a different story. It seems that folks would like to buy something with which to create their own designs rather than buy the jewelry created by a little known artist (me). TaDa! After the light bulb went off over my head (figuratively), it made great sense.

Your idea of rare wood spinning tools sounds very good. Tool junkies love hand made well designed tools. Waiting a while to open an Etsy shop is probably good. While waiting you would have time to do research on your spinning and find shows, retreats, etc. By the time you are able to begin to sell, you could hit the ground running, so to speak.

In Silver Dollar City theme park in the Ozarks during the fall they have a six week crafters show. People can work in their booth creating hand made tools or spinning, etc. in period clothing. The combination of a spinner and tool making for spinning might get you into the show. Hundreds of thousands of folks attend annually.

Best of luck Susan and hubby! I can't wait to see some of your work and your DH's hand made tools.

http://www.silverdollarcity.com/theme-park/Festivals/National-Harvest-Festival

First Discussion>>

Navigate this discussion: 1-7 8-17 18-27 28-37 38-47 48-53
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.