Questions/POLLS/Mentors Topic -  image transfer on curved surface (188 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: Pat (TRICIART)  (2 of 5) 
 71344.2 in reply to 71344.1 

I recently had really good success using a b&w laser print as transfer onto Unbaked clay.

The image was placed ink side down on the unbaked clay, then the paper was moistened with water and gently smooshed into the paper, allowing the ink to transfer off the paper onto the clay.

SLOW and gentle.

Baked up fine and permanent.

It seems like color print should also work. The directions I had were to use laser printer, not Inkjet printer.

for a curved surface I would suggest using painters masking tape to hold the transfer paper in place until the transfer is complete. You might want to cut little darts into the edges of the paper to help it curve.

good luck!

Reply   Options 

To: amyfb  (3 of 5) 
 71344.3 in reply to 71344.2 

Thanks for your info.  You used a laser printer on what kind of paper?  I'm assuming you placed the print side down on unbaked clay and added water then smooshed the wet paper and the ink didn't blur?  Did you rub/burnish the back side of the paper first so that the image transferred before using the water?  I'm assuming I should transfer the image first on the flat clay and then curve it to bake it.   I'll try that but I just want to make sure I get all the instructions right before I try it. 

Thanks again,

Pat

To: Pat (TRICIART)  (4 of 5) 
 71344.4 in reply to 71344.3 

Pat, I just used regular paper in my home laser printer. 

Olace the image ink side down on unbaked clay.

dip finger in water, gently rub into paper , pressing gently.

Repeat a few times, more or less as needed...you will begin to notice the paper changing  color as the ink releases.

Don't move the paper while doing it and 

allow to dry before removing paper.

if any paper sticks behind, gently moisten until it can be lightly rolled off.

test the difference for applying before and after the bending .

it might stretch during the bend. But maybe if you go slow enough it might not, or not too much.

good luck

To: amyfb  (5 of 5) 
 71344.5 in reply to 71344.4 

Thanks again,  will give it a try.

Pat

First Discussion>>

Navigate this discussion: 1 2-5
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.