Polymer Clay Talk -  Temperatures while baking your clay... (559 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: BrickleBears  (5 of 12) 
 71371.5 in reply to 71371.4 

I"m unfamiliar with the pc ovens at Walmart. An oven with convection is helpful, because it does keep the -whole- oven about the same temperature. Certainly the pc world has been using ovens that look like toaster ovens without convection for a long time with not too much apparent problem.

Another thing to keep in mind is 'radiant heat'. Meaning, the direct heat delivered by the elements. Anything in the direct line of the elements stand the chance of getting scorched. Think of it like getting a sunburn - even on a not unbearably hot day you can get a sunburn. So it helps to keep your pieces out of direct line of the element. That could be as simple as covering/tenting them with aluminum foil.

Happy Claying!

Reply   Options 

To: Debbie G / Twinkle (debtwinkle)  (6 of 12) 
 71371.6 in reply to 71371.5 

The oven comes with an instruction book, so hopefully this will provide plenty of guidance for newbies. Walmart has another PC oven that is around $80. I thought about getting that one instead because it might work better, but I don't have very much to spend. Besides, I am assuming that an oven designed especially for baking polymer clay can function as intended but you never know.

Thanks!

To: BrickleBears  (7 of 12) 
 71371.7 in reply to 71371.6 

I went through multiple ovens before I found one that wouldn't burn the clay. Some of the cheapest ones are the absolute worst for how they cycle the heating element.

To: amyfb  (8 of 12) 
 71371.8 in reply to 71371.7 

Thank you for letting me know that. I won't buy that oven now. I'll either save up for an expensive one, or bake the clay in my gas range. The gas range might end up being my best option. The oven needs to be cleaned, but I don't want to clean it. Will it work anyway?

Do you think I could encounter any problems baking my clay in a gas range? Would that be ideal, or would a toaster oven work better?

To: BrickleBears  (9 of 12) 
 71371.9 in reply to 71371.8 

The most useful advice I read everywhere on line was: get a thermometer and test the oven you want to use. There is just no consistency or reliability from one oven to the next.

sad but true.

i'm using a breville brand, digital oven. it lives on the patio outdoors so i never have to worry about inhaling fumes while baking the stuff. it has been in service for almost two years and cost $200 I think. But i'd rather spend the money up front than spend it in $40 chunks more frequently for   stuff that doesn't meet my needs.

i'd personally be sure to use the oven roasting bags to keep fumes from collecting in the oven if you're going ot share it with your cookies and pot roasts.

To: amyfb  (10 of 12) 
 71371.10 in reply to 71371.9 

The oven roasting bags seem to be an excellent idea, closed tightly until the items cool and/or you take it outside to open it. You could even put two aluminum foil pans together like a clamshell inside the roasting bag to keep the bag from sitting on your items. 

But the big thing is that ovens do NOT keep consistent temperatures. Having it inside a roasting bag & foil clamshell helps, because the air inside those thing will not fluctuate as much as the air inside the oven in general. It's like an oven inside and oven. I'm using a Hamilton Beach convection oven - not the top of the line, but up there. And even it fluctuates amazingly. I believe it's just inherent in ovens. I'll have to test my regular oven and see how much it fluctuates. Baking food is just not as fussy as curing clay.

To: BrickleBears  (11 of 12) 
 71371.11 in reply to 71371.8 

I use a small, inexpensive convection oven that sits on the counter right next to my work surface. It cost around $60.00 at Wal-Mart a couple of years ago. I put as many ceramic tiles as possible on the floor of the oven to act as 'heat sinks' and put oven thermometers on both shelves. There are two heating elements on the top and bottom for a total of four. When baking I try to put the items I'm baking between the elements, in the center of the oven.

Since my little convection oven does not overheat or spikes, I have not experienced 'fumes' but, often baking clay has a faint 'smell'. None of the smells have ever bothered me but they do bother some folks a lot.

If baking translucent or white clay I 'tent' the clay using heavy duty foil. I also tent any item that is filled with or surrounded by Fiber-Fil® polyester stuffing. Beads and other unique shapes are baked in a bowl of corn starch. I've used the last bowl for over four years.

I have very successfully used my gas range for a very long time for baking larger projects. I've not had any problem with fumes or the stove needing to be cleaned afterwards.

I always use heat sinks in what ever I am baking to prevent spiking temperatures. When making miniature for seven years I used the same toaster oven with heat sinks and baked on ceramic tiles and never lost a batch of tiny doll house miniatures to browning. Also, I do not use any clay except a strong clay like Premo, Pardo, Fimo Classic or Professional and Kato. Great clays all.

From: StarGazer (STARGAZERCA) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host1/24/17 5:14 PM 
To: BrickleBears unread  (12 of 12) 
 71371.12 in reply to 71371.8 

I've used a couple Aluminum (recyclable) rectangular pans in a home oven.   put the clay pieces on paper/card stock in the bottom of one pan and then place the other pan upside down over the base pan...  keeps all the plasticizers exiting the clay within the two pans instead of on oven walls when baking the clay.   also use one (or two) external thermometers - in addition to the dial on your oven...  :)

i also like convection ovens with tiles on the bottom...

toaster ovens are designed to make toast...   you know, the little dark edges to make the toast toasty-looking - don't want my clay to look like that...   :)

- providing FREE weekly Polymer Clay Chats & Demos for over 14 Years! 
My Photo Site

First Discussion>>

Navigate this discussion: 1-4 5-12
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.