Polymer Clay Talk -  Miniatures (249 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 5) 

I just got some Sculpey III, and some Sculpey Premo. I want to make some tiny dollhouse miniatures like Barbie size cellphones and food in my gas range. How long do you think I should cook items that size to prevent burning?i

Reply   Options 

To: BrickleBears  (2 of 5) 
 71377.2 in reply to 71377.1 

Really, length of time is not the problem. You can bake an hour or longer (and the finished product gets stronger the longer it is cured). The problem is temperature. Most home ovens are not accurate, and some will "spike" either in preheating or when the elements come on to reheat the oven. This is especially true of toaster ovens. You'll hear over and over that the best way to prevent burning of your projects is to follow these steps:
1) get an oven thermometer. Test your oven to see how well the oven dial and the actual temperature in the oven match up. Adjust until you know your oven is reaching the proper temp for the brand of clay you're using.
2) monitor the oven for the whole baking cycle. Be sure that your oven doesn't spike. If it does, you can help minimize the spikes by adding ceramic tiles or a pizza stone to your oven while baking; they "hold the heat" and your oven doesn't have to work as hard to stay evenly heated.
3) try baking under a foil tent or in a foil "oven in an oven" by clipping two foil trays together, one upside down on the other, to form a baking chamber.

Here's a link to the bluebottletree, Ginger Allman's fantastic site full of great info about all things PC: https://thebluebottletree.com/how-long-bake-polymer-clay/
I recommend visiting and reading her entire site.

To: gilladian  (3 of 5) 
 71377.3 in reply to 71377.2 

My oven quit working so until I can get a toaster oven I won't be able to bake my items. I have got so many tips on here! I guess it will just be trial and error for the time being.

To: BrickleBears  (4 of 5) 
 71377.4 in reply to 71377.3 

I spent hours and hours and hours reading all the information I could find online about this fun craft. 

Google "polymer clay" and there are terrifically informative tutorials that generous folks have shared. Read about all the mistakes they made and you can avoid some of your own!

YouTube has some of the best tutorials available. Have you spent any time there? iris mishly and Pandora are two of my favorites. 

Pinterest also is a great source of ideas for designs.

keep on having fun!

To: amyfb  (5 of 5) 
 71377.5 in reply to 71377.4 

I watched some videos on the Sculpey website, and I frequently search polymer clay on Google. I am also a Pinterest fiend! That is where I originally became intrigued with polymer clay. I will check out those YouTube people you mentioned too.

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.