Whats it all about? -  Melting Pot (32 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon9/12/06 5:50 PM 
To: stormshaddow  (11 of 38) 
 723.11 in reply to 723.9 

No, pineapples aren't precontact either. Don Francisco Paula y Marin (the same Marin as in Marin County, California) is credited with cultivating pineapples in Hawaii.

Hula is precontact - with chanting (not with music on the "Westernized" i.e. European/American tonal scale) is precontact. Men and women danced.

Jeanne

Reply   Options 

To: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (12 of 38) 
 723.12 in reply to 723.11 

O......

I've heard of some evidence of contact with Native America before Columbus/Cooke. But don't have any specifics. And the fact that the Smithsonian has an official posistion of Isolation don't make it any easier.

From: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon9/13/06 12:46 PM 
To: stormshaddow  (13 of 38) 
 723.13 in reply to 723.12 

Smithsonian or no Smithsonian, the possiblity of contact between Polynesians and Native Americans is entirely possible. The Polynesians did travel great distances in their ocean-going double-hull "canoes" (actually those "canoes" were pretty big - they were like catamarans). It's entirely possible that they could have sailed to the west coast.

They navigated using the stars. I think that would be such a neat thing to know how to do - read the stars like as easily as we can read books.

Here's a link with a picture of the voyaging canoe "Hokuleia." As you can see, it's pretty big.

http://www.k12.hi.us/~waianaeh/PolyVoyage/ealahoku/hokuleia/hokuleia.htm

Jeanne

To: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (14 of 38) 
 723.14 in reply to 723.13 

Schwey Kewl!

2,000miles in a canoe! I couldn't do it! LOL

The dogma is; if Europeans couldn't make trans-oceanic voyages; then no one  could.

I'm not going to bash our White brothers and sisters, so I'll just say that belief is eurocentric.......boardering on white supremecy.

To: stormshaddow  (15 of 38) 
 723.15 in reply to 723.1 

Good morning,   Stormshadow!

And if the two of you want to post on this board?

Ok!

But,  I do need and want to know and understand what was/is your intent and purpose as regards posting the links which started this thread,  Stormshadow...

So also please elaborate about that as well...

Thanks in advance!

Later...

Peace...

From: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon9/14/06 12:34 PM 
To: stormshaddow  (16 of 38) 
 723.16 in reply to 723.14 

White Europeans aren't the only people in the world with any knowledge, whether they think so or not!

Jeanne

To: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (17 of 38) 
 723.17 in reply to 723.16 

Good afternoon,  Jeanne!

But it has been my unfortunate experience that only a relative handful of colored folk even bother to dispute some white folks misconceptions and/or outright lies...

Only one or two of us care enough to just share what we do know with our various peoples...

You know and understand the usual nature of the white social pecking order:

And colored folk should realize by now mimicking the white elites et al will get us nowhere!

Agree or disagree?

Please let me know!

Thanks in advance..

Take care...

Later...

Peace...

From: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon9/14/06 5:07 PM 
To: ctj527  (18 of 38) 
 723.18 in reply to 723.17 

Oh, I absolutely agree 100%! And I can fully understand why black folk, Native Americans, Hawaiians and others are reluctant to share what they know with white people. One only has to get ridiculed, put down, trashed and treated as if one is stupid just a few times before not wanting to expose one's self to that anymore than one has to.

Jeanne

To: ctj527  (19 of 38) 
 723.19 in reply to 723.15 
There's a link in the first message about connection between colonial Mexico and colonial Hawaii. The we started talking about exchanges before Columbus/Cooke.

To: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (20 of 38) 
 723.20 in reply to 723.16 
I used to have a really great link to a science and tech site that related to precontact peoples. I think it was on my old hard drive which crashed

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-20 21-30 31-38
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.