Whats it all about? -  Melting Pot (21 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (21 of 38) 
 723.21 in reply to 723.11 
Sweet potato. They don't float and their vines wont survive salt water.

Reply   Options 

From: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon9/14/06 9:11 PM 
To: stormshaddow  (22 of 38) 
 723.22 in reply to 723.20 

I know with the Hawaiians, they had a very sophisticated aquaculture system for raising fish. The also have a very good system for settling disputes called "hooponopono." And I have read that the Navajo have an excellent tribal court/mediation system that the white American courts and legal profession are only now beginning to appreciate and understand how effective it is.

To me, it's really vital for us ("us" meaning white Americans like myself) to realize that "our way" isn't the "only way" to do things. Other cultures have many valuable things to teach us. It's really best in terms of personal growth to keep an open mind and realize that our way isn't the only way. That's just my opinion.

Jeanne

To: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (23 of 38) 
 723.23 in reply to 723.22 
The Hawaiians built the original tidal pools? And raised turtles?

From: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon9/15/06 4:16 PM 
To: stormshaddow  (24 of 38) 
 723.24 in reply to 723.23 

Well, I don't know if they built the original tidal pools but they did construct fish ponds along coastal areas where they could raise fish. They constucted a gated enclosure where the fish could swim in from the ocean but not back out again.

I don't know specifically about turtles, but seem to remember that I read that they considered turtles a delicacy.

Jeanne

To: All  (25 of 38) 
 723.25 in reply to 723.1 

Good afternoon to Jeanne and you...

But I did need and want to add my general commentary in order to remind the two of you that while that one of the stumbling blocks for african/indigenous folks in the states is how the typical black non-indigenous identified person either doesn't realize we exist or a few wish we'd keep our mouths shut about it...

The flip side is a few of us did and do know and understand by now that our indigenous relations did not all die out--we do need and should want to make peace with them--and black folk aren't the only colored folk  (your island neighbors included Jeanne) with legit gripes about this white settler refounded nation's  past and present  'wicked wicked ways'...

FYI...

Later...

To: ctj527  (26 of 38) 
 723.26 in reply to 723.17 

I think to often we see things in a European way. We see different peoples along color lines instead of cultural lines. And in doing that we distinguish people by their appearence rather than their customs.

To: stormshaddow  (27 of 38) 
 723.27 in reply to 723.26 

Hello,  again!

And while I can't change what some choose to believe:

I know what is true...

As in:

At best deprogramming of the black mind  only began after World War II...

Now we have to take it from there...

But did our oh so afrocentric counterparts just forget centuries of colonization on the African continent too?

I haven't and I didn't!

FYI...

Later...

Peace...

To: ctj527  (28 of 38) 
 723.28 in reply to 723.27 

We should not be ashamed of our African blood. But where did the overwhelming effort to reconnect to Africa over our own connections to America come into play?

To: stormshaddow  (29 of 38) 
 723.29 in reply to 723.28 

Oh,  it's always been there,   though on the low ebb and flow side,   i. e.,   which is why the africans et al who stole back their freedom lived in their own villages,  and held on to their african means/ways,  etc.,   too...

The flip side is too much of what came out of the black consciousness movements of the sixties and seventies were wish fullfillment fantasy trips...

And some of them were/are just recyclying what Black American muslims scholars were or are willing to share with them in the first place!

Dr. Ben and the rest are quite another story...

FYI...

To: ctj527  (30 of 38) 
 723.30 in reply to 723.29 

>>And some of them were/are just recyclying what Black American muslims scholars were or are willing to share with them in the first place!<<

I've noticed that. Black History goes back only so far. And they only tell us what they want too.......Why don't we ever hear about the Underground Railroad when it relates to Indians?

Who is Dr. Ben?

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-20 21-30 31-38
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.