Black Native Americans -  The Black Indians  (121 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 41) 

This is a very old article but also a very good article.

View More Content by: Arthur Lewin  The Black Indians

By: Dr Arthur N Lewin
Nov. 25, 2001

Print Email This PageEmail Talk About ItNot Avail

In the 60s it was seen as denigrating our African heritage to even mention one's Native American roots. That is no longer the case. The book, "The Black Indians," provides key information long missing from the pages of America's history...

In the 1960s, with the rising tide of Black consciousness, it was seen as a denigration of our African heritage to celebrate, or even mention, one's Native American roots. Now, though, that is no longer the case. William Loren Katz's landmark book, The Black Indians, provides vital information long missing from the pages of American history...

There were Black Indians in North America long before the Pilgrims came to Plymouth and even before colonists came to Jamestown. In 1526, a large expedition left Santo Domingo (where Columbus son was then governor) and landed in coastal South Carolina along the Pee Dee River. Within a short while, the few whites who had not been felled by disease and infighting, sailed back to Santo Domingo leaving behind the enslaved Africans they had brought with them. These had no problem living, and blending in with, the Native Americans.

This pattern was repeated in the centuries ahead when the Europeans set up massive, rapidly expanding colonies all along the east coast. Time and time again enslaved Africans would run away to the interior and make common cause with the local inhabitants. They understood the language and the ways of the Europeans, and the Native Americans understood the land, and how to thrive on it. Together they forcibly resisted the encroaching white settlements.

The most spectacular example of this was the Seminole War. The longest conflict in American history, raged through Florida for 40 years in the first half of the 19th century. A general at the time is said to have remarked, "This is not a red war, but a black one!" However, the greatest degree of Black and Native American interaction, and intermixture, probably took place in North Carolina.

In the midwest and far west, long before sustained European settlements penetrated these interior regions, Blacks were trading, interacting and intermarrying with Native Americans. For example, Jean Baptiste pont du Sable whose trading post blossomed into the city of Chicago was a Black Indian.

Other famous Black Indians include Crispus Attucks, Frederick Douglas and Langston Hughes. Oklahoma, the territory to which many Native Americans from the Southeast were forcibly relocated, contained many thriving Black Indian communities. James Beckwourth, a legendary scout, explorer and pathfinder who has been portrayed in Hollywood films as a white man, was a Black Indian.

Bill Pickett, the man who developed the art of "bulldogging" that is roping steers in prize competitions, that came to be called rodeos, was another Black Indian. His two white assistants Tom Mix and Will Rogers went on to spectacular careers in Hollywood that set the pattern for the cowboy in films.

Throughout the Caribbean the indigenous Americans often intermixed with Africans. For example, the Garifuna people of St. Vincent and the Maroons of Jamaica. When several slaveships wrecked off the coast of St. Vincent in the 17th century, the Africans came ashore and assimilated with the locals. When the English invaded Jamaica in 1655, the Spanish abandoned the island, and the enslaved Africans went up into the hills and blended in with the native population forming strong, warlike communities that the English never conquered.

However, long before Columbus, Africans had crossed over to the Americas on many occasions. Ivan Van Sertima in his legendary work, "They Came Before Columbus," provides painstaking documentation. The gigantic stone heads that dot the countryside of central Mexico (the Olmec heads) that scientific testing has determined are thousands of years old, have unmistakable African features....

All of this serves as testimony to the fact that Native Americans and Africans have been interacting for a very, very long time and still live in numerous, harmonious communities throughout North America, the Caribbean and Latin America. And their descendants, the Black Indians, are to be found, literally, everywhere...

Reply   Options 

To: afroidol2  (2 of 41) 
 735.2 in reply to 735.1 
Is this re-awakening happening in your family?

To: ctj527  (3 of 41) 
 735.3 in reply to 735.1 
Its important to remember its multicultural as well as multiracial.

To: stormshaddow  (4 of 41) 
 735.4 in reply to 735.2 
If there is any particular Native American in my blood-line, I am not aware of it, though I acknowledge the possibility. I don't know much about my ancestors past my mom and dads parents. My family was originally in the gulf area of Louisiana and Texas. Even though I have older siblings, I am the first California born person in my family. My knowledge of who married who, outside of my parents and grandparents is, unfortunatley very limited.

To: stormshaddow  (5 of 41) 
 735.5 in reply to 735.3 

Good afternoon,   Stormshadow...

But it isn't always a good idea for us to be forced to just guess as regards how our indigneous neighbors/relations/etc.  view people et al much differently than most non-indigenous folk  do?

I'd prefer that some of them reveal to us how they do...

I. e.,   if they are as multicultural and/or multiracial in terms of some (not all)  of their tribes/nations,   then why so much of a reluctance for most (if not all)  even on the message boards to engage in exchanges about us undocumented african/indigenous folk,  let alone the continuing plight of some documented ones,  aka the Freedmen Descendants?

Again I'd rather not guess wrong  (and we need them to tell us what's truly going on/down via their takes on such things too)...

Anyway...

FYI...

To: afroidol2  (6 of 41) 
 735.6 in reply to 735.4 

I (among others)  cherish and honor all our deserving ancestors...

Black and red...

Etc.

While I also considered and consider our african born ones and us like 'old seeds planted in new soil..."

FYI...

Peace...

To: afroidol2  (7 of 41) 
 735.7 in reply to 735.4 

>>My family was originally in the gulf area of Louisiana and Texas.<<

Some of my fam are from those areas! Texarkana, Shreveport(never met them), and Nacogdoches. Mostly we're from OK

To: ctj527  (8 of 41) 
 735.8 in reply to 735.5 
>>

I'd prefer that some of them reveal to us how they do...

<<

?

To: stormshaddow  (9 of 41) 
 735.9 in reply to 735.8 

Halito and Osiyo,  Stormshadow...

I also need and want you to keep the following in mind:

First?

Had not there been past efforts to turn brown and black folk against each other,   some of us would be writing and speaking about indigenous life and culture not on the basis of guesses and book learning,   but on the basis of our own past or present life experiences as tribal members...

Second?

I hate to have to say and write this,   but those folk who are black and indigenous and tribal members have chosen to be awfully silent...

They don't tend to post on this (among other)  indigenous oriented message boards,   and they also seem or sound like that have anything to say or write about the continuing plight of their Freedmen Descended counterparts,   up to and including the present plight of the Cherokee Freedmen who are trying to hold on to their right to be a part of the Cherokee Nation,   which was guaranteed to them by a past Cherokee Nation's constitutional as well as a treaty signed by that particular faction after the end of hostilities between them and the U. S. government, after the end of the U. S. Civil War...

Third?

There are tribes/nations who didn't or don't have the same past history of brown/black relations,    i. e.,    so our particular issues and problems aren't important or relevant to them either...

Thought the flip side (a case study being that aborted indian protest over the Outkast slight at the Dineh/Navaho) is that (like some whitesalso continue to do)  we're all too conveniently lumped together and typecasted as a group...

My and the and more to the point?

There are those who can't be expected to know...

There are also those who I would've expected far more from than either silence (other tribally enrolled black indian folk)  or misinformation campaigns  (aka the Chad Smith camp ala the CNO)...

It has been said/written that when the first contacts began the indians conceived and perceived of whites and blacks as one people?

But nothing could've been further from the truth!

Though it is also alleged that the indians merely saw fellow human beings too...

It is how one group exibited their barbarity and savage means/ways ad naseum is what characterizes the history et al of 'white contact'...

And I ain't writing/talking about the indians!

Above and beyond that:

Be us descended from african ancestors who wound up here by chance or by choice:

Today's black indian descendants are either choosing to be real quiet about what they do know  (or others don't know or understand much at all about indigenous life and culture et al)...

So it is that first group I'd like to hear more from...

Anyway...

FYI...

Take care...

Later...

Peace...

• Edited 10/27/2006 10:10 am by ctj527

To: ctj527  (10 of 41) 
 735.10 in reply to 735.9 

One minute we're accused of being to Black. And at the same time we're accused of being to Tribal(Red).

...........Reminds me of my childhood...............

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-20 21-30 31-40 41
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.