Black Native Americans -  Black Natives (1053 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon1/7/08 10:02 PM 
To: BlackChoctaw  (31 of 137) 
 745.31 in reply to 745.21 

You're very kind and show a great deal of dignity and self-posession.  I'm glad to meet you.

Aloha, Jeanne

FoodCourtPunchbowl012.jpg Diamond Head as We Leave Punchbowl 2 image by coconutqueen_hawaii
Diamond Head from the
slopes of Punchbowl Crater

Reply   Options 

From: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon1/7/08 10:07 PM 
To: BlackChoctaw  (32 of 137) 
 745.32 in reply to 745.16 

Wow, that's great news!  It's so much fun to find information.  I bet you felt like jumping up and down yelling "Yay!"

I have found it so interesting tracing my family back in time and finding evidence of where family members were at different times.

Aloha, Jeanne

FoodCourtPunchbowl012.jpg Diamond Head as We Leave Punchbowl 2 image by coconutqueen_hawaii
Diamond Head from the

From: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon1/7/08 10:13 PM 
To: BlackChoctaw  (33 of 137) 
 745.33 in reply to 745.19 

Oh, my goodness, anyone who knows anything about history and/or genealogy or has a number of Black friends knows how prevelent the Black/Native ancsetry is.  But there are still white people who are ignorant of that. 

When I was little, there was this white man who lived next door to my grandparents in Hollywood.  His wife was a light-skinned Black woman and they had two chilren.  She claimed Native American ancestry and I'm sorry to say that my own mother was one of those people who made fun of the woman saying "oh, so she wants us to think she isn't Black!"

By the time I found out the woman was probably telling the truth, it was many years later and I was an adult.  But I did tell my mom she was wrong to make fun of the woman like that.

Aloha, Jeanne

Diamond Head from the

From: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon1/7/08 10:16 PM 
To: BlackChoctaw  (34 of 137) 
 745.34 in reply to 745.19 

Many Black Native Americans have been made fun of when they mention they have indegieous bloodlines. It makes it seem as if they dont want to be black but that's not it, many dont know how to represent themselves, they just want to be Native and to finally be accepted as a Native not a Foreinger.

I live in Hawaii, and know that most people who have Native Hawaiian ancestry are also mixed with other races.  But they identify as Hawaiian and no one questions them.  That's the way is should be for mixed-race people who have Native American ancestry and want to identify Native American.

There are very few pure Hawaiians anymore; most who have Hawaiian ancestry are mixed.

Aloha, Jeanne

Diamond Head from the

From: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon1/7/08 10:18 PM 
To: ctj2010  (35 of 137) 
 745.35 in reply to 745.24 

Yep, "don't feed the troll," as they say on some of these forums.

Aloha, Jeanne

Diamond Head from the

To: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (36 of 137) 
 745.36 in reply to 745.34 
I think this is why Black Native Americans has this need to belong somewhere because there is not 1 race in the world who is not a native somewhere. Every race creed, or people have some place to be a native but Black Native Americans seem to be denied the chance because since we are denied DNA testing something is wrong.

To: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (37 of 137) 
 745.37 in reply to 745.33 
That took some real Boldness on your part Jeanne :D Thank God for your courage. Looking at Baraq Obahma really shed light because his mom HIS MOM is WHITE but he looks like many Native American Blacks, he is half and some are not but thier bloodline looks just as pure as him. Meaning the Native bloodlines are still strong very strong in many Black Natives.

To: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (38 of 137) 
 745.38 in reply to 745.31 
Thanks Jeanne it's an honor to meet you too!

From: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon1/8/08 1:49 AM 
To: BlackChoctaw  (39 of 137) 
 745.39 in reply to 745.36 

My dad's side of the family came to America from England in the 1600s, and my mom's side of the family came from Southern France in 1906 and 1907.  Any Black person who traces his or her ancestors back to slaves who were forced to come to America and to Native Americans has been in America much, much longer than half my family.  If anything, then,  you're MORE American than I am.

And people tend to forget - if they ever knew - that the Black people who were slaves weren't a bunch of less than smart people with no skills.  Those plantations were each a world within itself and bought very little from the outside.  They made all their own furniture, their own wagons, saddles, clothes and shoes.  They spun their own cloth and made their own soap.  Who do you think did all that - the white master?  No way.  It was the slaves who did all that.  There were alot of very skilled people on those plantations who weren't white.

And how to you think those big plantation homes down there in the swampy lands of the south got built.  Who do you think cleared the land and drained the swamps?  Who built the homes?  Who cleared the land and planted crops, cotton and tobacco?

Don't let anyone fool you; it was Black people who built the south.  Black people belong.  They contributed the good things in America.

The fact that Native Americans and Black people survived harsh treatment is a lesson in strenght and fortitude for all of us.

Aloha, Jeanne

Diamond Head from the

From: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon1/8/08 1:52 AM 
To: BlackChoctaw  (40 of 137) 
 745.40 in reply to 745.37 

To my mom's credit, she realized she was wrong.

There's no denying that there are Native bloodlines in the Black community.

I really like Barack Obama and think I'm going to vote for him if he makes it through the primaries to the presidential election.  I like what he says - and it doesn't hurt that he grew up in Hawaii, either.

Aloha, Jeanne

Diamond Head from the

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-20 21-30 31-40 41-50 51-60 ... 111-120 121-130 131-137
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.