Requests-prayers,energy,etc, -  MIghty Grim (696 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (89 of 116) 
 8664.89 in reply to 8664.87 
It's a shame that the people who really need it can't get it. I can understand if I get denied, because there's probably some sort of work that I can do that won't be troubled by my dealing with depression. Your brother needs it more than I do.

Be your own hero.

Reply   Options 

From: Shay's Mom (tiggyjenn) DelphiPlus Member Icon12/28/03 11:00 AM 
To: Ralph (RBGlatt)  (90 of 116) 
 8664.90 in reply to 8664.88 

That's ok, I completely understand.  My brothers have laughingly told me that they will never help me move again..I've lost count of how many times I've moved since I came to Phoenix almost 14 years ago.

So, don't worry about it, and I hope you can feel me on your shoulder as you go through this tedious process.

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host12/28/03 1:58 PM 
To: Ralph (RBGlatt)  (91 of 116) 
 8664.91 in reply to 8664.89 
I think it is standard procedure to deny anyone the first time they apply. If you really need it, you will re-apply and then they will have to take a better look at your application.
The up-side to it is that if you are accepted, you get a retroactive amount, based on when you first applied

To: Shay's Mom (tiggyjenn) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (92 of 116) 
 8664.92 in reply to 8664.90 
I feel your presence all the time, hon. That's part of what helps keep me going. ;-)

Be your own hero.

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (93 of 116) 
 8664.93 in reply to 8664.91 
Still, that doesn't make it right. A lot of those people need the money right away, and they should get it, too.

Be your own hero.

To: Ralph (RBGlatt)  (94 of 116) 
 8664.94 in reply to 8664.93 
it's all a waiting game to see if you'll go away before they will approve you.

To: aunticee  (95 of 116) 
 8664.95 in reply to 8664.94 
Oh, yes - that really is the system, and it is deliberately set up that way. I know how it works since my ex- is a training supervisor for the Georgia Disability Adjudication Service. Not to mention my own experiences with disability...

Unless you are just about dead, missing several limbs, or otherwise just plain unquestionably so messed up no rational person would think that you could ever work again, you are AUTOMATICALLY denied the first time. Eighty percent of the people who are ultimately approved are denied the second time. Most people get disability either on thier third try or after taking it to court. The system is set up deliberately that way to actively discourage people. It's because no political figure wants to ever, ever, be caught being responsible if the press does an expose' on able-bodied people getting disability and facing the hue and cry of the social conservatives. So they go overboard, no many how many truly disabled people are screwed over, because the disabled aren't a big enough percentage of the vote to count in politician's calculations.

When I tell folks in any part of the system I got my disability immediately on the first try they all say, "Wow! You must REALLY have been bad off!" Well, my heart WAS down to functioning at only 15%. That will qualify you for TPD (totally permanently disabled) because not one person in a thousand comes back from that level to ever work again. Yes, I AM bragging...but I know I could be back unable to work tomorrow, so I don't make any long-range plans or expectations. "One day at a time."

BB,
BH

To: aunticee  (96 of 116) 
 8664.96 in reply to 8664.94 
I'll probably finish college and land a great job before then. ;-)

Be your own hero.

To: Bluehawk (Bluehawk9)  (97 of 116) 
 8664.97 in reply to 8664.95 
i'm in my second round now, and honestly, i'm wondering if it's worth the wait. i need this as a way to regroup and find a way to work with my illness. sure, i can work, me and the chorus line in my head. just wish i'd get paid for all the voices accompanying me to work. if i did then i wouldn't have any finanical problems or have to worry about insurance at all :P but that is the hand i was given and i'm never bored, always have something/one to entertain me and keep me company ( an aside to ralph--- see, there IS a bright side to everything).

then someone like you comes along and it's like, wow, you can take what you've been dealt and find a way to deal with it and go back to work. and like you said, one day at a time.

To: aunticee  (98 of 116) 
 8664.98 in reply to 8664.97 
One day at a time...sometimes one hour or one minute at a time. I now realize that my going through being an alcoholic and addict was one of the best things that happened to me - since it made me completely re-think how I lived my life, and gave me the tools to handle my disability (I was fairly high-bottom as the expression goes - I had a very well-paying job and was primarily a 'binge' user when I got sober...but looking back, it did affect every aspect of my life, helped ruined my marriage, and cost me a great deal of money directly and indirectly).

The old cliche is true - you learn more from the 'bad' experiences in your life than the 'good.' Adversity is the best teacher. To me, every day is a choice. And some days I do choose to just slide through, since I am far from sainthood. But some days I do push the envelope a bit, and make a little more progress. I think I'm better for it, and most of the folks that know me seem to think so too (*G*).

BB,
BH

Navigate this discussion: 1-8 9-18 19-28 ... 69-78 79-88 89-98 99-108 109-116
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.