Living it! -  Full Moon Dates (414 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: SiFan DelphiPlus Member Icon  (39 of 49) 
 9368.39 in reply to 9368.38 
Thank you! When is your guys's next statutory holiday? We have a civic holiday the first Monday in August; I think it's the equivalent to the Bank Holidays they have in England..A holiday just for the sake of having a holiday. In our province we actually refer to it as British Columbia Day, and I think they actually have a festival for it in Victoria.

Reply   Options 

To: Kirsten (koshugi)  (40 of 49) 
 9368.40 in reply to 9368.39 

Our next holiday is Labor Day on the first Monday of September.

Don't know how we missed having one in August. Maybe the thinking is that August is when lots of people are off anyway taking vacations before school resumes. Maybe no big national event ever happened in August.

Our most interesting holiday that isn't a holiday has to be Halloween. Lots of people buy loads of candy, put up decorations, and celebrate it one way or another; but, there's no big move to make it a day off. I guess one problem would be that it has to be on just October 31st. So, there would be weekend occurances where the day off wouldn't matter. Plus, it's uniquely a night-only 'holiday'.

To: SiFan DelphiPlus Member Icon  (41 of 49) 
 9368.41 in reply to 9368.40 
I love Hallowe'en too! We don't have any holidays in February, March, (unless Easter falls in March, then we don't have one in April) and June. People are pushing for our Flag Day in February to become a national Holiday, but employers want to spend as little "money for free" as possible I geuss.

To: Kirsten (koshugi)  (42 of 49) 
 9368.42 in reply to 9368.41 
One thing about Halloween is all the fun movies that go with it ... like Hocus Pocus, The Warlock, Poltergeist, ... .

To: SiFan DelphiPlus Member Icon  (43 of 49) 
 9368.43 in reply to 9368.42 
I like the costumes and the candy.

To: Kirsten (koshugi)  (44 of 49) 
 9368.44 in reply to 9368.43 

I like the costumes and the candy.

We wore all sorts of costumes. Sometimes store-bought but usually thrown together. We'd get piles of stuff. People used to hand out home-made goodies like fudge, pecan divinity, and caramel apples.

To: SiFan DelphiPlus Member Icon  (45 of 49) 
 9368.45 in reply to 9368.44 
Yeah, that was before the razors-in-the- apple trend. :/

To: Kirsten (koshugi)  (46 of 49) 
 9368.46 in reply to 9368.45 

Yeah, that was before the razors-in-the- apple trend. :/

True. It's not as though that kind of thing didn't happen before; but, once it got blown up by the media, there were probably a few copycats. Plus, everyone started to worry about anything that wasn't store bought and wrapped.

Worked both ways, too. People who hand out treats have to be concerned about getting blamed if someone claims their stuff harmed a child. Safer to buy factory wrapped stuff for treats.

Even so, I bet there are small towns where people know each other better along the trick-or-treat routes and Mrs. Murphy still hands out her famous caramel apples, ... .

To: SiFan DelphiPlus Member Icon  (47 of 49) 
 9368.47 in reply to 9368.46 
I think sometimes people will hand out homemade treats here from time to time; they label the bag with their name and address so parents know where the treat came from.

To: Kirsten (koshugi)  (48 of 49) 
 9368.48 in reply to 9368.47 

I think sometimes people will hand out homemade treats here from time to time; they label the bag with their name and address so parents know where the treat came from.

Darn good idea! Anyone handing bad stuff is not likely to put their name and address on it.

Navigate this discussion: 1-8 9-18 19-28 29-38 39-48 49
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.