Enjoy Delphi Forums ad free! Click here.
Current Event News -  Breaking News - Israel (103347 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (17 of 4205) 
 9959.17 in reply to 9959.16 
Former Mossad Agent Debuts Novel In UK

Mishka Ben-David has gone from a secret life as a top operative for Israel’s intelligence agency to a writing career that has landed his name on the covers of hit spy thrillers. Making his literary debut in the UK with the first English translation of his novel ‘Duet in Beirut’, Ben-David revealed his life as a Mossad agent shapes much of his thrillers.

Reply   Options 

To: All  (18 of 4205) 
 9959.18 in reply to 9959.17 
Pittsburgh Mayoral Race Profile: Josh Wander
Channel 4 Action News’ Bob Mayo has the Pittsburgh Mayoral profile of Republican Josh Wander.

Joshua Wander, a 43-year-old father of six from the Ramat Beit Shemesh is running on the Republican ticket for Mayor of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, according to the Jerusalem Post.
Wander, who recently moved to Israel to take a job as an independent security consultant said that he would be willing to terminate his current contract if he were to win the election, which will take place on November 5.
“I sort of fell into the position of being nominated,” Wander told The Jerusalem Post on Tuesday, explaining that because other potential Republican candidates dropped out at the last minute, he was essentially chosen by default.
According to local news station WPXI, Wander’s absence from a candidate’s forum on Monday led Bill Peduto, the Democrat running for the office, to quip: “I don’t think we’re going to be having any debates, but that’s OK.”
Wander has stated that he intends to return for debates, and the local Republican chairman told the Pittsburgh Post Gazette that the “peripatetic candidate,” as the paper has dubbed Wander, “hasn’t been gone that long” and that “he’ll be back.”
According to experts, Wander’s odds of winning is not high and his absence will not improve his chances.
Pittsburgh has not elected a Republican mayor since 1934. Wander says he is running to give residents an alternative.
“It’s not a matter of if I win or lose,” he told the Post. “I already won the election by virtue of the fact that I am giving the electorate the other option that they wouldn’t have otherwise.”
He added that despite having sold his house prior to coming to Israel, he was here only for work and has maintained a residence in Pittsburgh in case he is elected.
“I did sell my house there.
That was a question of the market being very profitable at the time. It was a good time to sell. It had nothing to do with our subsequent move,” Wander stated.
He couldn’t be “too explicit” about his work here, he said, but was willing to say that “it is understood that as soon as I win as mayor of the city of Pittsburgh I will cancel my contract” and go back.
“I have a family with six children and I have to support them, and especially considering the history of the Republican party [in Pittsburgh], I can’t quit my day job and decide I’m just going to run full time,” he added.
Wander originally came to Israel as a student in 1987, and subsequently served in the IDF and got married before returning to the US to further his education at a local university. During his time in Israel, he says he became an activist with the anti-Oslo Accords Zo Artzeinu movement, worked as an advisor to the Moledet Knesset faction and even spent time as an editor at JPost.com.

To: All  (19 of 4205) 
 9959.19 in reply to 9959.18 

An historic agreement has been drafted between Israel and the Vatican
The Israeli authorities have granted the Pope an official seat in the room where the Last Supper is believed to have taken place, on Mount Zion in Jerusalem, and where David and Solomon, Jewish kings of Judea, are considered by some researchers, to also be buried.

To: All  (20 of 4205) 
 9959.20 in reply to 9959.19 

Posted by: Doni Kandel  October 18, 2013 , 10:28 am
Terror and the pit are come upon us, desolation and destruction. Mine eye runneth down with rivers of water, for the breach of the daughter of my people. (Lamentations 3:47-48)
View from a scene where a Palestinian man was shot and killed after ramming into an army base north of Jerusalem, using a tractor, in what the IDF described as a suspected terror attack. (Photo: IDF Spokesperson/Flash90)
The IDF shot and killed a Palestinian man who had forced his way on to an army base north of Jerusalem with a tractor on Thursday night, according to The Times of Israel. The IDF is treating the event as an attempted terror attack.
Palestinian officials said the suspect was identified as Younis al-Radeideh. His family reportedly recently received a demolition order for their East Jerusalem home, according to Walla News.
According to reports, in 2009, his brother Marei al-Radeideh, a resident of Bet Hanina, was shot dead in a similar incident in Jerusalem when he drove a tractor into two vehicles, including a police car and an empty bus. He was shot by officers at the scene.
Younis Radeideh is believed by Israeli officials to have acted on his own, Israel Radio reported.
Rama Base is located next to Al-Ram, a Palestinian neighborhood.The IDF upped its readiness in wake of the attack, which came without any prior warning, according to Israel Radio.
Radeideh reportedly drove up to the base in the early evening and asked to enter. While the soldier at the gate clarified whether he had permission to do so, he rammed the tractor into the gate, making his way into the base and hitting an army vehicle in his way.
Two soldiers fired at Radeideh, wounding him. An IDF medical team at the scene pronounced him dead shortly after.
“IDF soldiers felt an immediate threat and opened fire,” the IDF Spokesperson’s Office told the Times of Israel. One soldier was lightly hurt in the commotion.
In December of 2012 two Palestinian terrorists, in the middle of a storm, begged entrance to the Rama Base. After being allowed in they pepper sprayed a soldier and stole his weapon.
In 2008, Jerusalem suffered a spate of terror attacks involving tractors. In July that year, an East Jerusalem resident killed three people, and wounded 30, after he rammed his construction vehicle into buses and cars and trampled pedestrians on Rashi, Jaffa and Sarei Israel streets in the city. He was shot dead at the scene. Three weeks later, another Palestinian man used his tractor to plow into vehicles on King David street in Jerusalem, making his way to Keren Hayesod street, where he was shot and killed by a Border Police officer. Twenty four people were injured in that incident.
In September that same year, another East Jerusalem resident rammed a private vehicle into IDF soldiers and civilians standing near the Old City. Several people were wounded and the driver was shot and killed.  

To: All  (21 of 4205) 
 9959.21 in reply to 9959.20 
Posted by: Tuly Weisz  October 17, 2013 , 4:02 pm
According to Jewish tradition, the scandalous origins of the Messiah are described in a shocking story in this week’s Torah portion.
Given the prevalence of Christian anti-Semitism in previous generations, it is not surprising that many classical Jewish texts are antagonistic towards Christianity.  There is a notable exception, however, in a passage by one of Judaism’s most influential rabbis, known as Maimonides.  In his “Laws of Kings,” the 12th century Jewish philosopher and Torah scholar discusses the role of other religions in the Messianic era:

"Nevertheless, the thoughts of the Creator of the world are not within the power of man to reach them, ‘for our ways are not His ways, nor are our thoughts His thoughts’ (Isaiah 55:8). And all these matters of Jesus of Nazareth and that of [Mohammed] the Ishmaelite who arose after him are only to straighten the way of the king Moshiach and to fix the entire world, to serve God as one, as it is stated (Zephaniah 3:9), “For then I will turn to the peoples (into) clear speech, to all call in the name of God and serve Him unanimously
Jews look forward to the arrival of the Messiah (Moshiach) in anticipation of the era in which the whole world recognizes the One True God. The Nation of Israel’s biggest challenge is that as .02% of the world’s population, our voice is hardly heard, our influence limited. With great foresight, Maimonides wrote nearly one thousand years ago that billions of non Jews would “straighten the way of the king Moshiach” by helping to spread the idea of Messianism around the world.
Christians believe that the identity of the Messiah has been revealed, however, as Jews we don’t.  We are aware only of his lineage and where he comes from. According to Jewish tradition, the origins of the Messiah are described in a shocking story in this week’s Torah portion.
This Shabbat in synagogue we will read Genesis 19 where Abraham’s nephew Lot and his two daughters narrowly escape the total destruction of the wicked city of Sodom.  Left hiding in a cave, Lot’s daughters fear the three are alone in the world, and decide it is their responsibility to repopulate the earth.  Each conceives a child and the older daughter disgracefully names her child Moab, which in Hebrew means ‘me av’ – ‘from my father.’
Genesis contains yet another scandal when Tamar, the daughter in law of Judah, disguises herself as a prostitute and seduces the father of her deceased husband in the hopes of bearing a child. Genesis 38 tells us that the offspring of this shocking relationship is Peretz. You could think of no worst lineage than a daughter of Moab marrying a son of Peretz, yet that is exactly what happens. In God’s infinite wisdom, Tamar’s seemingly immodest deed is validated and her intentions prove to be holy when we are told that the child who descends from both Moab and Peretz is none other than King David. Amongst his many accomplishments, King David is known as the progenitor of the Moshiach. From here a vital lesson to all who anticipate the arrival of the Messiah emerges.
As religious people, we firmly believe in the principles of our faith. Yet, as believers, we must also be mindful of the delicate balance between conviction and arrogance. As devout as we are, we must not become too presumptuous to assume we know God’s ways. In the same passage mentioned earlier, Maimonides warns us that, “the thoughts of the Creator of the world are not within the power of man to reach them, ‘for our ways are not His ways, nor are our thoughts His thoughts.”  On a micro-level, God’s road map for our individual lives do not necessarily coincide with our own well-scripted plans for our future and this is especially true on a macro-level, when it comes to the destiny of all humanity. While I would have assumed that the Moshiach would certainly come from the best family and only have gone to the best schools, clearly God has different ideas.
In a refreshing example of humility and openness, the influential pro-Israel Pastor John Hagee describes in his book In Defense of Israel of his deep relationship with his colleague, Orthodox Rabbi Aryeh Scheinberg:
“The rabbi and I have become more than close friends over the years, more like brothers. I thoroughly enjoy those rare occasions when we have time to sit and talk about the Torah and world affairs. We agree on many, many things, but when it comes to the nature and identity of the Messiah, of course we simply agree to disagree – with the understanding that when we stand in the streets of Jerusalem and see Messiah walking toward us, one of us will have a major theological adjustment to make!”
Hagee’s humility and acknowledgment that God may still surprise him demonstrates an internalization of the Scripture quoted by Maimonides: “For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways, saith the Lord” (Isaiah 55:8).
In addition to his prolific writings on Jewish Law, Maimonides canonized what are universally considered to be the pillars of Jewish faith, thirteen ideas that define what a Jew must believe. The twelfth principle states, “I believe with perfect faith in the coming of the Messiah. How long it takes, I will await his coming every day.” In our unique era when Jews and Christians are standing together on behalf of Israel, may our common anticipation in the coming of the Moshiach lead to the fulfillment of the words of Maimonides when we together “fix the entire world, to serve God as one.”   

To: All  (22 of 4205) 
 9959.22 in reply to 9959.21 
Posted by: Ahuva Balofsky  October 18, 2013 , 10:05 am

“…one from among thy brethren shalt thou set king over thee…” (Deuteronomy 17:15)
Ethiopian
Awake Mengistu is running for mayor of Kiryat Malachi with hopes of becoming Israel’s fist ever Ethiopian mayor. (Photo: Jpost.com)
Although a mayor is not quite a king, Awake Mengistu wants to show the people of Kiryat Malachi — and of Israel — that he is one of their “brethren.”  Mengistu moved to Israel when he was five years old and hopes next week to make history as the country’s first Ethiopian-born mayor.
Mengistu was drawn to politics in January 2012.  At that time, a Channel 2 news report revealed that one neighborhood in his town had agreed collectively not to rent or sell property to Ethiopians.  The city is home to the country’s largest Ethiopian population, and thousands of demonstrators gathered to protest the discriminatory policy.  The protesters’ subsequent march to Jerusalem, some 50 kilometers away, ended in demands from the Knesset to enact anti-racist legislation.  The Association for Civil Rights in Israel called on the Registrar of Real Estate to revoke the licence of real estate agents who practice such discrimination.
His involvement in the protests taught him to believe in political activism as a means to reform society.  His campaign, called “Edan Hadash” (New Era), is founded on the principle that to change the country, one must begin locally.
Edan Hadash, which is part of the Yesh Atid list, believes that education is key to changing attitudes.  But it’s not “only education in a classroom,” Mengistu said. “We’re talking about non-formal education like through youth movements, or even taking an empty bottle and putting it in the garbage.”
Nurit Tizazu, second on the campaign ticket, admits this is “only the beginning of this process.”  The ultimate goal, she says, is to eliminate discrimination within two or three generations.
Deputy Knesset Speaker Pnina Tamnu-Shata (Yesh Atid), the first Ethiopian woman in the legislature, reiterated the significance of having an Ethiopian mayor in Israel.  “If we want to win [against] all this discrimination, we need to put people in front like Awake,” she said.  She stated that racism needs to be confronted at both the local and national level.
In addition to a focus on education for good citizenship, Mengistu is campaigning on plans to create employment opportunities and affordable housing in Kiryat Malachi, raise the school system’s grade-point-average and improve the city’s social welfare programs.
Mengistu is competing against five other mayoral candidates in Tuesday’s upcoming race.  His primary disadvantages are his youth and inexperience.  He is only 27, a recent university graduate, and previously served as a staff-sergeant in the Givati infantry brigade’s reconnaissance company.  Other candidates include Lalo Zohar, a popular city councilman, and Yossi Hadad, the incumbent mayor.  Current polls put Mengistu at a mere 11%, but he is encouraged, because that is up from previous polls showing only 4% and 5%.  He also points out that none of the three polls conducted included Ethiopians, who make up 30% of the city’s eligible voters.
Still, even if they do not win the mayor’s seat, being elected to city council alone would be a significant accomplishment, says Shei Sium, who is third on Eden Hadash’s ticket.  It would take about 2,000 votes to earn three seats in council.
But both Sium and Mengistu worry about another disadvantage: the very discrimination they are trying to fight.  Sium wonders if their campaign posters, which show Edan Hadash’s five candidates, four of whom are black, are turning voters away.  Mengistu says he has been criticized because he is black.
“Why is it an issue [that] he is the first Ethiopian running [for mayor]?” Tizazu asked. “It’s a strong question for our society.”  

To: All  (23 of 4205) 
 9959.23 in reply to 9959.22 

A cache of Jewish historical treasures stolen from Iraq’s 2,500 year old Jewish community was discovered by American soldiers searching Saddam Hussein’s secret police headquarters. The treasures were brought to the U.S. but in 2014 will be returned to Iraq and most likely lost to the Jewish people. Act now to make sure these treasures go to Israel!

The U.S. National Archives and Records Administration recently opened an exhibit entitled “Discovery and Recovery: Preserving Iraqi Jewish Heritage,” which features the Iraqi Jewish Archive that American troops discovered in the basement of Saddam Hussein’s secret police headquarters, otherwise known as the Mukhabarat. The Iraqi Jewish Archive documents this community’s history, which spans some 2,500 years and predates the existence of Islam.
The archive’s historical items include a Hebrew Bible with commentaries from 1568, a Babylonian Talmud from 1793, Judeo-Arabic manuscripts, family photographs, Iraqi Jewish communal documents, and other significant items illegally seized following the expulsion of most Jews from Iraq in the wake of Israel’s establishment as a state. The Iraqi Jewish Archive was badly damaged in a flood during the 2003 Iraq War, yet was restored thanks to the efforts of prominent members of the Jewish community in cooperation with the U.S. government.
After January 5, 2014, the Iraqi Jewish Archive is expected to be returned as part of a 2003 agreement with Iraqi authorities. This is set to take place despite the fact that the archive was stolen by the Iraqi government and never rightfully belonged to them. For the Iraqi Jewish community, who suffered from a series of massacres, persecutions, and a final great expulsion, returning the Iraqi Jewish Archive is equivalent to sending Jewish art stolen by the Nazis back to Germany.
A May 2010 letter from former U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton claims that the Iraqi Jewish Archive is being returned to Iraq in order to “preserve all aspects of the country’s history, including evidence of repression and persecution by the previous regime, and make that history accessible to the Iraqi people and the world.” Many members of the Jewish community are skeptical that this will indeed occur.
ezra-shrineSpecifically, Iraq doesn’t respect the Jewish historical treasures that are presently in its possession. For example, Ezekiel’s Tomb was transformed into a mosque, with Hebrew inscriptions on the tomb wiped out. Numerous synagogues and Jewish cemeteries have also been desecrated with the Iraqi government taking no steps to restore Jewish holy sites. These actions provide no indication that Iraqi authorities are interested in preserving Jewish heritage.
With no diplomatic relations with Israel and widespread political instability within Iraq, Jewish scholars with Western passports find it difficult to even visit the country. A grave injustice will be committed should the Jewish world be deprived access to their own holy archive, which has little significance to the Iraqis who left it in a flooded basement to decay. Justice dictates that the Iraqi Jewish Archive be returned to the Iraqi Jewish community and housed in the Babylonian Jewry Heritage Center in Israel, where the vast majority of Iraqi Jews presently lives. It should not under any circumstances be given back to the very authorities that stole these historical items at the outset.
Act Now for IsraelIf you live in the United States, we urge you to write to your representative in Congress, asking them to oppose sending the Iraqi Jewish Archive back to Iraq!
Find your representative here –> http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/
Although it is preferable to use your own words, here is a sample letter to be used as a guideline.
Dear Representative:
It has come to my attention that the U.S. government plans to give the Iraqi Jewish Archive to Iraq, a country that presently lacks political stability and is home to Muslim extremists.
Iraq has a long track record of disrespect for its minority populations. The Iraqi Jewish Archive belongs to the Iraqi Jewish community.
For many Iraqi Jews, the idea of sending their communal archive back to Iraq is like sending Jewish art, stolen by the Nazis, back to Germany. Iraqi Jews do not view the regime change in Iraq as a reason to justify shipping away their cultural inheritance. In light of the fact that Iraq lacks diplomatic relations with Israel, sending the archive there would deprive the Iraqi Jewish community of access to an important part of its heritage.
I implore you to oppose sending the Iraqi Jewish Archive back to Iraq. It should be kept in the Babylonian Jewish Heritage Center in the State of Israel, where the vast majority of Iraqi Jews currently live. Thank you for taking this important matter under consideration.
United with Israel thanks you for taking action on behalf of the Iraqi Jewish community.
PLEASE SHARE THIS WITH YOUR FRIENDS – HELP US TO SPREAD THE WORD…

To: All  (24 of 4205) 
 9959.24 in reply to 9959.23 
Minister of Home Front Defense Gilad Erdan holds meeting to discuss readiness for natural disastersBY TIMES OF ISRAEL STAFF October 21, 2013, 6:00 am 
Officials from the IDF Home Front Command and the emergency services held a status meeting Sunday night to discuss the readiness of the Israeli home front, following a fourth earthquake in northern Israel in just four days.

The meeting was held at the Ministry of Home Front Defense at the behest of Minister Gilad Erdan (Likud), and was attended by representatives of Israel’s paramedic, firefighting and police services, and of the Defense, Health and Education ministries.

The officials decided to continue monitoring the situation while increasing home front readiness for natural disasters, Army Radio reported.

For the second time Sunday, a minor earthquake shook northern Israel around 4 p.m., the fourth of its kind since Thursday. 

No injuries or damage were reported, but Tiberias residents told Ynet that they felt the 3.6-magnitude quake. The first quake Sunday also registered 3.6 on the Richter scale quake. Both epicenters were near Kibbutz Ginosar, on the Sea of Galilee. 

Similarly powerful quakes rattled the north early Saturday morning and Thursday. Last Sunday, a 6.4-magnitude quake, centered in the Mediterranean Sea near Crete, was felt in Athens, Egypt and Israel. In September, an early-morning 3.5-magnitude quake was felt in the northern Dead Sea area, including in Jerusalem.

Israel held a massive Home Front drill last October, codenamed Turning Point 6, which was aimed at raising the preparedness of citizens, local authorities, and emergency services for dealing with natural disasters.

The exercise exposed significant shortcomings in Israel’s ability to respond to natural and man-made disasters, particularly in the lack of coordination between the army, the police and emergency services.

One of the greatest challenges to Israel’s preparedness is the fact that the majority of buildings in the areas likely to be hit by earthquakes were built before the first Gulf War in 1990, and have not been properly reinforced to withstand earthquakes.

Should Israel, in fact, face an earthquake emergency, it would be necessary to receive a great deal of assistance from around the world in handling the damage and injuries, Channel 2 reported at the time.

“An earthquake in Israel is more dangerous than war,” the then chief of the Home Front Command warned.

In 2011, then state comptroller Micha Lindenstrauss presented the government with a devastating report on Israeli preparedness for natural disasters.

“Unfortunately the State Comptroller’s Office finds itself cautioning and reproving for 20 years, with a number of reports on the failure to prepare for earthquakes in Israel,” Lindenstrauss wrote at the time. He called the report a “red flag for the prime minister.”

“Generations of Israeli governments have caused severe neglect that has continued for years,” wrote Lindenstrauss, adding that “we have not a moment to spare and we need immediate action.”

The former state comptroller added that despite two similar previous reports, in 2001 and 2004, nothing was done to improve Israeli infrastructure in preparation for a massive earthquake.

“This inspection found that significant failures in this field were not fixed and have even worsened,” Lindenstrauss wrote.

Seismologist Dov Lakovsky of the Geophysical Institute of Israel told The Times of Israel Sunday that there was no cause for alarm and that the recent quakes were just “a bit stronger than usual.” Such tremblers, he said, “happen all the time.”

According to the GII’s statistics, seven earthquakes strong enough to be felt have rattled Israel in 2013. The most powerful one, centered near the Suez Canal on June 1, registered 5.0 on the Richter scale.

Israel’s last major earthquake rattled the region in 1927 — a 6.2-magnitude quake that killed 500 and injured another 700. An earthquake in 1837 left as many as 5,000 people dead. According to a 2010 Haaretz report, major earthquakes strike Israel once every 80 years or so, meaning the country may be due for a serious natural disaster.
Gavriel Fiske and Ilan Ben Zion contributed to this report. 

...[Message truncated]

To: All  (25 of 4205) 
 9959.25 in reply to 9959.24 
Posted by: Doni Kandel  October 23, 2013 , 10:14 am
Get you, from each one of your tribes, wise men, and understanding, and full of knowledge, and I will make them heads over you.’ (Deuteronomy 1:13)
Mayoral Elections
Current mayor of Jerusalem Nir Barkat seen celebrates with his supporters after winning the Jerusalem mayoral elections in Jerusalem, Israel, 23 October 2013. Voters in Jerusalem were choosing between two right-wing candidates for mayor, as they and other Israelis elect municipal leaders in nearly 200 towns and cities around the country. (Photo: Yonatan Sindel/Flash90)
Israel’s three largest cities, Jerusalem, Tel Aviv and Haifa, saw their incumbent mayor win the nationwide municipal elections on Tuesday, according to The Times of Israel. Ballots cast by IDF soldiers have yet to be counted.
The closest election was in capital of Jerusalem where incumbent mayor Nir Barkat suffered from low voter turnout but still triumphed. Turnout had dropped from 43% in 2008 to 35.9% Tuesday. Barkat’s opponent, Moshe Lion, who had been endorsed by both foreign minister Avigdor Liberman and Shas’s Aryeh Deri, had a rough night, also doing poorly as head of the Likud-Beytenu’s party list for the city council, apparently garnering just one seat. The Jerusalem race was seen by many as a fight for the character of the city, with Barkat representing its dwindling secular and Modern Orthodox community. When the counting was done, the incumbent mayor won with some 51% of the vote to the challenger’s 45%.
Lion conceded the election at 2:30 a.m., thanking activists and Liberman, in particular, “who made a genuine and real effort to do good for the people of Jerusalem.”
Barkat, speaking an hour later, said it was a very tough campaign, “but tonight the residents of Jerusalem gave us a mandate to lead the city with the same vision, the same path, for another five years.”
As it usually does, the Jerusalem Arab population widely boycotted the elections in protest of an Israeli presence in East Jerusalem.
In Tel Aviv, another incumbent, Ron Huldai defeated Meretz MK Nitzan Horowitz to retain his position. The openly gay Horowitz ran largely on a platform of helping young Tel Avivians realize some of the aspirations of the social justice movement of 2011. The final count left Huldai with 53.1% of the vote and Horowitz with 38.2%. Voter turnout in Tel Aviv stood at 31.5% compared to 35% in 2008.
Huldai told supporters he’d be everyone’s mayor, even those who didn’t vote for him. “Everyone in Tel Aviv-Jaffa is a resident of Tel Aviv-Jaffa, it doesn’t matter if he’s rich or poor, yellow or red, it doesn’t matter what his religion is, or what he does. We are everyone’s city and we will continue to be that same free city that respects everyone who lives here.”
In Israel’s third-largest city, Haifa, Yona Yahav cruised to a solid victory over Yaakov Borovsky (whom he also faced in 2008), winning a third straight term as mayor.

To: All  (26 of 4205) 
 9959.26 in reply to 9959.25 
Posted by: Doni Kandel  October 24, 2013 , 10:04 am
"The words of a wise man’s mouth are gracious; but the lips of a fool will swallow up himself. The beginning of the words of his mouth is foolishness; and the end of his talk is grievous madness. A fool also multiplieth words; yet man knoweth not what shall be; and that which shall be after him, who can tell him? (Ecclesiastes 10:12-14)
John Kerry did little to assuage Benjamin Netanyahu’s concerns regarding the United States current course of action on the Iranian nuclear program, despite a long meeting between the two in Rome on Wednesday. (Photo: U.S. Department of State/Wikimedia Commons)
Returning from a two-day trip to Rome on which he met with US Secretary of State John Kerry, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told reporters that he was unimpressed with the American plan to negotiate with Iran over their nuclear program, according to The Times of Israel.
Netanyahu and Kerry had held a marathon meeting on Wednesday evening. Prior to the sit-down Kerry reportedly, apparently seeking to allay Israeli fears, said Iran would have to prove to the world that its nuclear program was not military in nature.The prime minister was apparently unpersuaded by Kerry’s attempts to assure him of Washington’s resolve to maintain a tough position versus Iran despite the recently reinvigorated diplomatic process, The New York Times reported.
“We will need to know that actions are being taken, which make it clear, undeniably clear, fail-safe to the world, that whatever program is pursued is indeed a peaceful program,” Kerry told reporters in a brief press statement before a meeting that was originally scheduled to last seven hours.
“No deal is better than a bad deal,” he added, echoing a statement he made earlier this month.
Kerry added that the US would “pursue a diplomatic initiative but with eyes wide open,” and said Iran would have to be held to the same standards as other states if it was to prove its nuclear program is peaceful.
Netanyahu told America’s chief diplomat that ongoing negotiations with Iran should insist that Tehran end all enrichment of uranium, get rid of any fissile material and close water plants and underground bunkers whose sole conceivable purpose, he said, was to build a nuclear bomb.
“I think a partial deal that leaves Iran with these capabilities is a bad deal,” Netanyahu told Kerry.

• Edited 10/24/2013 11:17 am ET by Dunggate

Navigate this discussion: 1-6 7-16 17-26 27-36 37-46 ... 4177-4186 4187-4196 4197-4205
Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.