Current Event News -  Breaking News - Israel (103800 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (4097 of 4236) 
 9959.4097 in reply to 9959.4096 
The 107-year-old who survived 1918 Spanish flu pandemic and COVID-19
Marilee Shapiro Asher contracted the Spanish flu aged six in 1918 and COVID-19 in April. The acclaimed artist is one of only a handful of people to overcame both deadly pandemics.
By BEN HARRIS (JTA)
May 8, 2020, 4:09 pm  1

After Marilee Shapiro Asher was admitted to the hospital in mid-April sick with COVID-19, her daughter got a call from the doctor telling her she ought to get down there right away. Her mother likely had only 12 hours to live.
“Well, he doesn’t know my mother, does he?” Joan Shapiro said.

What the doctor didn’t know was that Asher, a 107-year-old working artist, had already survived one global pandemic. And she was about to survive another.

Get The Jewish News Daily Edition by email and never miss our top stories
FREE SIGN UP
In 1918, then about six years old, Asher contracted the Spanish flu, a deadly strain of influenza estimated to have killed at least 50 million people worldwide.

“What she told my brother and I, she remembers being sick upstairs and coming downstairs and seeing her father, who she adored, and knowing that if she saw her father everything would be OK,” Shapiro said.

Fast forward a century and change: Asher had contracted the new coronavirus, which is particularly lethal for older people. She wound up spending five days in the hospital,undergoing a course of antibiotic treatment before being sent home to Chevy Chase House, a senior living community in Washington, D.C. She was never put on a ventilator.

“It’s remarkable,” Shapiro said. “That’s all I can say. It’s just unbelievable. I think perhaps it’s because of her art that she’s still involved in.”

Well into the eighth decade of her art career, Asher was due to open a major solo exhibition later this month at the Studio Gallery in Washington, but that was canceled due to the coronavirus.

Born to an affluent Chicago family in 1912, Asher began studying sculpture in 1936 and took up painting a few years after she moved to Washington, in 1943, with her first husband, Bernard Shapiro. Her first solo exhibition was held at American University in 1947.

In D.C., the family attended Temple Sinai, where Asher served on the art committee. It was through her association with Boris Aronson that the famed Broadway set designer came to create the synagogue’s ark, Shapiro said.

Bernard Shapiro died in 1974. Nearly 20 years later, at the age of 80, Asher remarried: She and childhood friend Robert Asher wed at the Cosmos Club in Washington. Robert Asher died in 2008.

In the early 2000s, seeking a less physically demanding alternative to sculpture, Asher took up digital photography. She studied digital art at the Corcoran School of Art and began manipulating photographs on her computer. She was 88 at the time.

Her work is now in the permanent collections of the Smithsonian and the Baltimore Museum of Art.

Asked the secret of her longevity last year on the activist Ralph Nader’s radio program, Asher chalked it up to exercise and art.

“Here at the facility for senior living I go to tai chi class and to a yoga class, which helps to keep me kind of limber,” she said in the interview. “That’s very important. But even more important is one’s having an interest, having something that makes you want to get up in the morning and do it.”

Asher began feeling unwell in March. It started with general fatigue and gradually grew more acute, impairing her eyesight and making it difficult for her to breathe. By the middle of April, she had all but stopped eating.

By then, the coronavirus pandemic was in full swing, and at the insistence of her children and a nurse at her senior living facility, Asher went to the hospital.

“I am quite certain that she thought that she was going to die,” Shapiro said. “I really think she thought that.”

Asher returned home from the hospital on April 28. Shapiro says she has good days and bad ones, adding that her mother wasn’t strong enough to do an interview.

“She’s at the edge of the woods,” Shapiro said.

In 2015, Asher published a memoir, Dancing in the Wonder for 102 Years, in which she writes: “Dear God, I don’t know who you are or where you are or if you are. But I do want to thank you for my life and all the perks I have enjoyed. I want to thank you also for 30 more years than are usually allotted according to your Bible. I hope I have not overstayed my welcome. Sincerely, Marilee.”

Reply   Options 

To: All  (4098 of 4236) 
 9959.4098 in reply to 9959.4097 
Tel Aviv and London mayors warn against return to ‘business as usual’ post virus
In doing so, they joined mayors representing 33 of the world's mega-cities, including Los Angeles, Athens, Barcelona, Seoul, Hong Kong and Buenos Aires
By MATHILDE FROT
May 11, 2020, 5:02 pm  
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv’s Ron Huldai and London’s Sadiq Khan have joined dozens of city mayors in warning against a return to “business as usual” should the threat of Covid-19 be vanquished.

The warning was backed by the leaders of 33 of the world’s mega-cities, including Los Angeles, Athens, Barcelona, Seoul, Hong Kong and Buenos Aires.

A statement of principle signed by the group last week pledged “to build a better, more sustainable and fairer society out of the recovery from the COVID-19 crisis.”

Get The Jewish News Daily Edition by email and never miss our top storiesFREE SIGN UP
Among some of the pledges were promises to address “issues of equity that have been laid bare by the impact of the crisis”, investment in protection against future threats such as climate change, and adherence to public health and scientific expertise.

The signatories, who together represent 750 million people, are part of C40, a network of city leaders working together to combat climate change.

Former New York City Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg, board president of the C40 group, said: “This task force is committed to helping city leaders as they work on economic recovery in ways that lead us forward into the future, not back into the past.

“The principles we’ve outlined will guide our efforts to develop a new normal – one that is greener, healthier, and more prosperous for everyone.”

To: All  (4099 of 4236) 
 9959.4099 in reply to 9959.4098 
Is G-d TV in Israel Planning on Praying for Jews or Preying on Jews?
By Avi Abelow - May 11, 2020 742 0
Share on Facebook
Tweet
NOTE: As Orthodox Jews we do not write out the full name of the almighty out of awe and respect for the almighty.

VIDEO
Boost this video to reach up to 1000 people
Blessed to have this interview with Shannon Nuszen, a former evangelical missionary, today an Orthodox Jew who lives in the Judean Hills, the heartland of the Jewish homeland. Shannon spoke to me about the recent controversy in Israel of G-d TV getting a license to broadcast in Hebrew on Israeli TV for Jews. Shannon, a former missionary herself, has a riveting life story. She opens up about her missionary past, and the journey she took to then convert and become an Orthodox Jew.

Shannon’s insight, as a former missionary together with her in-depth knowledge of Judaism, is critical in understanding why the issue of G-d TV broadcasting in Israel is such a controversy in Isreal today. Her voice is also essential in understanding how our communities can move forward together in the best, most mutually beneficial way.

CEO of G-d TV Explains
The CEO of G-d TV explains that he only intends to bring the gospel of Jesus to the Jews of Israel so they can believe in Jesus and turn them into messianic Jews. “We don’t proselytize. We preach and teach Christian content and let God do the rest.” And… they don’t want Jews to convert. They want us to remain Jewish, keep our culture and traditions… just accept Jesus as our messiah.

What he doesn’t understand is that belief in Jesus as the messiah is 100% forbidden for Jews. In Judaism, we have one G-d and we only worship that one G-d. For Jews, Jesus was a Jew who went up to the Jewish Temple in Jerusalem during the Roman occupation of our Holyland.

He is believed by Christians to be the messsiah we do not try to convince Christians not to worship him. We just want them to respect our beliefs as well, which forbids believing that he is the messiah or worshiping him.
VIDEO
Former Evangelical missionary Shannon Nuszen explains:

“It is not uncommon to hear Christian supporters of Israel profess their love for the Jewish people, and deny that they have any intention to proselytize while in the Jewish state.

Yet, if you were to see these same Christians speaking in churches around America you’d hear something completely different. Among themselves, they are free to take their masks off.

When they’re seeking support from fellow Christians, they will share the work they are doing in the Holy Land, describe their tactics, and give many success stories about bringing Jews to belief in Jesus.”

God TV removed their original video that clearly stated their agenda to share the Gospel of Jesus with the Jewish people.

The Jewish Israel Facebook page found a copy of the public video before it was removed. Here’s the full video:
VIDEO

To: All  (4100 of 4236) 
 9959.4100 in reply to 9959.4099 
Chol Hamoed Virtual Day Trip with Eve Harow and One Israel Fund
SPECIAL: Virtual Tour of Fascinating Archaeological Site in Judean Hills
By Avi Abelow - May 12, 2020 1306 0
This special virtual tour was sponsored by the One Israel Fund, an organization dedicated to supporting the welfare and safety of the men, women and children of Judea, Samaria, the Jordan Valley and the reemerging communities of Gaza evacuees. These 460,000 citizens of Israel are the vanguard of Israel’s security and sovereignty as a Jewish State.

The Virtual Tour
Eve Harow, the tourguide, gives a brief introduction to the virtual tour:

The Biyar system is underground, the Arub aqueduct mainly overland which left it susceptible to pilfering and destruction and hence it went out of use many centuries ago. Solomon’s Pools are not connected to the King but perhaps Suleiman who refurbished the area; the oldest dating for a section of one of the pools is Hashmonaim. The neighborhood of the deep shafts is Dagan not Tamar. This was by no means a complete tour, that’s impossible with all the restrictions, but a taste of what we have beneath our feet. Hoping our collective road to recovery leads to Jerusalem and all Israel

To: All  (4101 of 4236) 
 9959.4101 in reply to 9959.4100 
Naftali Bennett silences Palestinian Arab activist with one question
By Leah Rosenberg - March 20, 2019 50813 0
When this Palestinian Arab activist tried to talk about the BDS movement succeeding, Naftali Bennett completely destroyed her. This is a MUST SEE!
Palestinian Arab Activist Silenced
This Palestinian Arab activist tried to talk about the Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions (BDS) Movement that aims to weaken the state of Israel. She tried to confidently say it would succeed and that it is growing and growing.
But Israeli politician Naftali Bennett came back with the perfect response. The way he listed just a few of the many inventions that Israel has gifted the world with was too good. Everyone uses Israeli inventions and technology, and so many do not even realize. Those who support the BDS movement are probably using something Israel created every single day, but they pretend to boycott Israel anyway. Bennett’s ending words are strong: “What did you bring to the world beyond suicide terrorists? What’s your invention?” The Palestinian Arab activist had nothing left to say.
BDS Logic is Irrational
It is really not logical what the BDS Movement is trying to accomplish. It is also impossible. Israel has given so much to the world; things that people basically cannot live without anymore. So the BDS Movement can try to boycott all of it, but they will not succeed. The activist in this video said they will, but they won’t.
But Israel, on the other hand, continues to succeed. They continue to give to the world. They continue to invent, create, and build. And ultimately, the BDS Movement will fail.

To: All  (4102 of 4236) 
 9959.4102 in reply to 9959.4101 
Chinese Ambassador to Israel is found dead
Du Wei, 58, was appointed envoy in February in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic
By JEWISH NEWS REPORTER
May 17, 2020, 9:46 am  
Chinese Embassy in Tel Aviv (Wikipedia/Author ???'???/ (CC BY-SA 4.0) / https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/legalcode )
Chinese Embassy in Tel Aviv (Wikipedia/Author ???'???/ (CC BY-SA 4.0) / https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/legalcode )
The Chinese ambassador to Israel has been found dead in his home north of Tel Aviv.

Du Wei, 58, was appointed envoy in February in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic. He previously served as China’s envoy to Ukraine.

Israel’s Foreign Ministry gave no cause for his death, but said police are investigating.

Get The Jewish News Daily Edition by email and never miss our top storiesFREE SIGN UP
He is survived by a wife and son, both of whom are not in Israel.

The ambassador’s death on Sunday comes just two days after he condemned comments by visiting US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, who denounced Chinese investments in Israel and accused China of hiding information about the coronavirus outbreak.

To: All  (4103 of 4236) 
 9959.4103 in reply to 9959.4102 
Archaeologists just discovered something unprecedented in Jerusalem
By Leah Rosenberg - May 18, 2020 2114 0
The dirt of Jerusalem (and all of Israel) holds ancient secrets. It reveals history. What archaeologists found this time has never been found.

Rare Coin from The Bar Kokhba Revolt Discovered North Of The City Of David

Archaeologists Uncover Truth
What archaeologists really do is uncover the hidden truth. The dirt and artifacts speak for themselves. The stones and pottery shards shout out the facts. The world may continue to deny the Jewish connection to Jerusalem, but the soil of the holy city will never stop speaking the truth.
Denying Tangible Proof
It is mind-boggling that so many deny such tangible evidence. The world denies the Jewish right to Jerusalem. They want to divide it. Or they want to just give it all to the “Palestinians” who did not even exist during the time periods of these artifacts!
So why do people deny the Jewish people the right to their holy city? It is obviously not because of lack of evidence. All fingers point toward a Jewish Jerusalem for thousands of years.

The answer is antisemitism. That is the only explanation for the fact that the world does not want to admit the Jewish people belong in Jerusalem. Or ignorance. But at this point, it seems hard to believe that anyone can be so ignorant.

New Discoveries
After all the years of digging, it is remarkable to realize that new discoveries are still being made. It is not the same coin that is being found. It is not the same pottery piece from the same time period.

It is a different coin that reveals something different.

It is a different pottery piece that points to another time period.
And that is why archaeologists have such an important job and should never stop searching for the truth. The truth keeps being dug up.
History Speaks for Itself
All these discoveries tell a story. They tell history.
Some people might think history is a boring subject. But when history is unearthed and you can feel it with your hands, there is nothing boring about that!

Bar Kokhba revolt/Period
132 AD – 135 AD

To: All  (4104 of 4236) 
 9959.4104 in reply to 9959.4103 

The biggest political scandal of our lifetime
By Phil Schneider - May 19, 2020 4083 0

Did President Obama and many of his closest advisors and officials actually plan to destroy Mike Flynn during the transition period between President Trump’s election and the actual inauguration? As of now, it seems that this was indeed an intentional plan to blemish the reputation of President Trump. As Kate McFarlane argued, she and Mike Flynn were just the small fish. But in truth, what Barack Obama and his advisors tried to do was to make sure that President Trump’s reputation would be tarnished from the get-go.
Why OBAMAGATE is Such a HUGE Scandal...

Donate Today And Promote This Video To Thousands
Is this worse than Watergate, where President Nixon was found to have been aware of an attempt to cheat against the Democrats in the 1972 election? There is definitely grounds to this argument. The Obama administration was an idealistic administration that truly was focused on transforming the United States of America and the whole world. In truth, alot was indeed done in the 8 years under Obama to accomplish this. But when Donald Trump was elected under a platform that was squarely based on undoing most of what President Obama deemed accomplishments, this most certainly bothered Obama and many others.

On the national security front, people like General Mike Flynn, people with seemingly perfect records, were one of the problems that Obama and his advisors saw. They perceived that Donald Trump was building up his reputation based on the credibility of Generals like Flynn. They saw in him the perfect person to take down, and that seems to be exactly what he and his advisors did.

In the end, the Obama administration will probably not be viewed as a corrupt 8 years. It will probably be remembered as the progressive high point of the United States. And where did that bring us? The debates will continue. But the spying on Mike Flynn and the fictional accusation about Russian collusion will probably be judged by Democrat and Republican alike as one big hoax.

To: All  (4105 of 4236) 
 9959.4105 in reply to 9959.4104 
OPINION – Alastair Campbell: Why I’m playing Hava Nagila on my bagpipes
Ambassador for Time to Change mental health campaign explains how he found a way to promote kindness through music during Mental Health Awareness Week
Alastair Campbell
By ALASTAIR CAMPBELL
May 19, 2020, 1:06 pm  1
So, write about kindness, Jonny Benjamin tells me as he takes up the reins of Jewish News for a week.
Ok, will do.
I thought you might say write about mental health, this being Mental Health Awareness Week.

But then kindness is related to mental health, isn’t it?

A kinder world is a happier world.

But then I also felt I should have a Jewish angle to my kindness angle.

I’ve found it in music.

Chapter 1: In case you hadn’t heard, I play the bagpipes. I have been playing more in lockdown even than in normal times, which is quite a lot. And before anyone cracks the usual borderline racist anti-bagpipe jokes, my neighbours complain when I don’t play, not when I do.

This month I should have been playing at the wedding of Georgia Gould, leader of Camden Council, whom I have known since she was a small child. She and her husband-to-be Alex Zatman, both proud Jews, threw me a pretty tough challenge– ‘bet you can’t play Hava Nagila.’ Georgia knows the best way to get me to do something is tell me I won’t be able to.

I googled ‘Hava Nagila on bagpipes’ and it was clear Georgia and Alex were not the first to think this famous Israeli folk song could be played on the pipes. There are all manner of renditions on there, from the tuneful to the hideous, depending on the quality of the player. I then googled ‘Hava Nagila bagpipe sheet music’, and yet again struck lucky.

Hava Nagila is hardly a tune written for the pipes, so it took a bit of time to get a proper feel for it, then practise and memorise it sufficiently to feel confident I would do Georgia and Alex proud.

Then along comes Covid Bloody 19 and the wedding is off for a year.
Hava Nagila on the bagpipes
Chapter 2: I played my bagpipes outside our house in north London on the first Thursday during which the country came together to clap for carers. I was particularly keen to do so because right next door to us is a Whittington Hospital nurse, Matilda ‘Sissy’ Bridge. She arrived home from work mid-clap, my daughter Grace spotted her and suggested I march her up the street while people were applauding. I did and she loved it and the film of it went viral –  in a good way, not the way of coronavirus.

I have played every Thursday since. On week 2, I noticed clapping on the pavement four doors down by our neighbours Maurice Monina, and his partner, Valerie Moss, also proud Jews, and I immediately thought on seeing them … I bet they’ve never heard Hava Nagila on the pipes before, and I bet they’d enjoy it.
They hadn’t; and they did. Dancing in the streets Gospel Oak style.
Next thing I know, I am getting requests emailed and posted on social media. Then Grace tells me she just bumped into Maurice at the corner shop and he asked if I could play Danny Boy. As it happens, I couldn’t. Back to Mr Google. ‘Bagpipe sheet music Danny Boy.’ There it is. Now I can.

Coming to a street near you, Thursday 8pm, Hava Nagila followed by Danny Boy, followed by the tune I wrote especially for Sissy, Our Neighbours, Our Nurses. Who would have thought it would take a crisis like Covid to get my bagpipe composing juices flowing? Have the pipes ever been kinder to my neighbours as now? Get good out of bad.

Alastair Campbell is Ambassador for Time to change, mental health campaign

To: All  (4106 of 4236) 
 9959.4106 in reply to 9959.4105 

https://jewishnews.timesofisrael.com/chief-rabbi-urges-uk-to-prioritise-re-opening-for-weddings-and-stone-settings/
Chief Rabbi: Weddings and stone settings should restart first
Intervention came during first virtual meeting of a taskforce convened by Communities Secretary Robert Jenrick to work up a plan for the safe reopening of religious spaces
By JEWISH NEWS REPORTER
May 18, 2020, 10:52 am  
Chief Rabbi Mirvis taking part in the meeting with Communities Secretary Robert Jenrick
The Chief Rabbi has urged the UK Government to prioritise weddings and stone settings as it considers the gradual reopening of places of worship amid the coronavirus pandemic.

The intervention from Chief Rabbi Ephraim Mirvis came on Friday during the first virtual meeting of a taskforce convened by Communities Secretary Robert Jenrick to work up a plan for the safe reopening of religious spaces.
Mirvis was among several faith leaders participating on the Places of Worship Taskforce just days after the Government said it hoped to reopen places of worship in Step 3 of its plan to lift restrictions, with 4 July the earliest mooted date.

Any reopening will be subject to further scientific advice, but ministers have recognised “how difficult it has been for people of faith to not be able to practice their religion with their community”.
Members of the taskforce agreed to work together to consider whether some forms of worship, such as individual prayer, might be permitted in places of worship before they fully reopen in step 3, where appropriate and safe.
“During this pandemic, significant spiritual moments such as Easter, Passover, Ramadan and Vaisakhi when families, friends and congregations traditionally gather together, have been celebrated at home,” said Jenrick.
“I realise how challenging being separated from their communities has been for people of faith. We will work together with all faith communities to understand how we can open places of worship as a priority, while continuing to prioritise safety.”
Faith Minister Lord Greenhalgh added that “practical issues such as the size of both physical buildings and congregations are significant”.
Robert Jenrick
?
@RobertJenrick
Today I held the first Taskforce on Reopening Places of Worship.
Working with faith leaders to plan their safe, phased reopening, for individual prayer and public worship, including weddings and funerals. https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-taskforce-developing-plan-to-reopen-places-of-worship

Navigate this discussion: 1-6 7-16 17-26 ... 4077-4086 4087-4096 4097-4106 4107-4116 4117-4126 ... 4207-4216 4217-4226 4227-4236
Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.