Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

MerlinsDad

Jul-17

Did you see this news item today (July 17)

Battles over wearing face coverings intensified even as the US shattered another daily coronavirus record and health officials warned hospitalizations are getting out of control in some areas.

There were 77,255 new cases reported Thursday, topping a previous high set two days ago, according to Johns Hopkins University. At least 943 people were reported dead that day [bolding mine --MD].
This relates to several conversations we've had.
Showtalk
Staff

Jul-17

If the COVID death count is accurate.  We don’t even know that because of the way they count it.  No one said it isn’t a serious illness.  But there was no reason for H1N1 to ever get out of control the way it did.  If we had figured out protocols then we might have been more prepared now.

MerlinsDad

Jul-17

Another interesting news item (July 17)

An unpublished document prepared for the White House coronavirus task force [bolding mine --MD] and obtained by the Center for Public Integrity, a nonprofit newsroom, recommends that 18 states in the coronavirus "red zone" for cases should roll back reopening measures amid surging cases.

The "red zone" is defined in the 359-page report as "those core-based statistical areas (CBSAs) and counties that during the last week reported both new cases above 100 per 100,000 population, and a diagnostic test positivity result above 10%."  The report outlines measures counties in the red zone should take. It encourages residents to "wear a mask at all times outside the home and maintain physical distance." And it recommends that public officials "close bars and gyms" and "limit social gatherings to 10 people or fewer," which would mean rolling back reopening provisions in these places.

The following 18 states are in the red zone for cases: Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Idaho, Kansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, Nevada, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Utah.
Note that Utah, where the lady was calling Covid_19 "a political stunt," is in the list of "red zone for cases."

[T]he following 11 states are in the red zone for test positivity: Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, Nevada, South Carolina, Texas, Washington. The 11 states in the red zone for test positivity are also in the red zone for cases, with the exception of Washington state. https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/17/politics/white-house-states-hot-spots-task-force/index.html

The article notes that "The report comes despite President Donald Trump's insistence that states reopen and a push to send the nation's children back to school, even as cases increase.    "Now we're open, and we want to stay open and we will stay open. We're not closing. We'll put out the fires as they come out. . . ."

With 18 states in the red zone for cases, it would seem that the Trump fire department is not keeping up with the fires.

Jeri (azpaints)

Jul-17

I saw where the CDC can now still receive reports.  I suspect DT forgot that states have their own Department  of Health and their own reporting laws so it would be impossible to hide the numbers. Plus John Hopkins does their own data collection.

Showtalk
Staff

Jul-17

After the mess in Florida, I am not surprised they need a better way to track.  100% positive tests and it’s barely been mentioned in the news. Why are they covering it up?

Jeri (azpaints)

Jul-17

I can't get my mind to figure this out.  Maybe the reporting lab thought they were only to report positives?  A simple, correctable mistake?

Jeri (azpaints)

Jul-17

H1N1 had a vaccine.  They aren't really comparable in my mind, but it allows people to dump on Obama while ignoring the disaster DT administration has allowed by ignoring science and numbers.  Testing was ended 4/2010 AFTER a vaccine was available and positive tests slowed dramatically in 12/2009.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/2009-pandemic-timeline.html

THE FACTS: Social media posts are falsely claiming that the former president waited months to respond with a public health emergency declaration to the flu strain known as H1N1. The posts are conflating two types of emergency declarations a president can make. 

Obama declared a public health emergency on April 26, 2009 _ before a single swine flu death in the U.S. was reported. Such a declaration allows the government to unlock money for antiviral drugs and other medical preparedness measures. By April 29, Obama had requested Congress approve a $1.5 billion emergency funding package to combat the pandemic, The Associated Press reported at the time. 

It was in October, after 1,000 U.S. deaths, that Obama made another declaration related to the flu strain; this time a national emergency. 

That national emergency allowed the U.S. to activate  operational plans, such as moving emergency rooms offsite to keep those infected with the virus away from other emergency room patients.

Obama’s critics have mixed up claims about his response to the swine flu before. 

MerlinsDad

Jul-17

Georgia's numbers for today (july 17)

New cases     today 3908 (+41)   yesterday 3441   7 day running average 3507   total 135, 183

deaths            today     28 (+15)    yesterday      13   7 day running average    25    total     3,132

hospitalizations  today 2902 (+61) yesterday   2841  7 day running average  2624

I guess Kemp is counting on the death total staying low

MerlinsDad

Jul-17

I picked that up yesterday.  As I read it, HHS and CDC both will post the numbers

The US Department of Health and Human Services changed course on Thursday on a controversial decision about hospital data, directing the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to re-post public hospital information onto its website.  https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/16/health/hhs-cdc-coronavirus-data-website/index.html?utm_term=1594944036419f93b9ec88d84&utm_source=What+Matters+for+July+16%2C+2020&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=226555_1594944036421&bt_ee=LGrwcqshpuk429QZXcnhgdnd1kAN%2Fbtq35CRF35bwRzW6LcbnMslSRmhijHig2Yi&bt_ts=1594944036421

Speaking of the CDC, I just spotted this news item.

The White House is blocking US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Dr. Robert Redfield and other officials from the agency from testifying before a House Education and Labor Committee hearing on reopening schools next week, just as the debate over sending children back to classrooms has flared up across the US.  https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/17/politics/white-house-cdc-house-testimony-schools/index.html

I guess the reason is that the White House is still insisting students return to schools.  I dunno.