Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Replacement Elastic For Masks   Knock Knock - Off Topic

Started Jun-20 by kizmet1; 612 views.
kizmet1

Jun-21

Not bad if you don't need one every day.
Showtalk
Staff

Jun-21

I don’t need that many.

kizmet1

Jun-21

Sell the extra.

For those with latex allergies, nitrile based elastic makes a great substitute. The synthetic rubber is about 5x to 10x the cost per unit weight of ordinary latex rubber, but it lacks the complex protein molecules that trigger severe allergies.

My friend with the severe fibromyalgia has a truly ghastly bad latex allergy. If she touches something that has even been in contact with a rubber band - e.g. mail that was bundled with a rubber band, even if someone else removes it before bringing it indoors - if she touches the spot the rubber had come in contact with on the envelope, it raises blisters like a 2nd degree burn within 30 seconds or less. That's just from a brief touch.

Touching a rubber band will do the kind of damage like touching a red-hot piece of steel.

Then she has to gobble Benadryl like one would eat M&Ms and take a couple of preventative puffs of a strong steroidal inhaler in case anaphylaxis decides to set in.

kizmet1

Jun-26

Interesting. How and where is it used?
I do not have that allergy (that I know of) but I never know when I will meet someone with it.
Where and how is it purchased?
kizmet1 said:

Interesting. How and where is it used? I do not have that allergy (that I know of) but I never know when I will meet someone with it. Where and how is it purchased?

Nitrile gloves are now being sold in places like Sam's Club, Harbor Freight, and AutoZone. They have been around for a couple of decades for mechanics to keep automotive grunge off their hands while retaining tactile sensitivity and grip of objects. I ordered some nitrile rubber bands on-line. There are even nitrile condoms out there.

They are starting to use nitrile in other applications such as mechanical drive belts, because it is resistant to oils and greases and even gasoline to some extent.

https://mykin.com/rubber-chemical-resistance-chart

https://www.customadvanced.com/chemical-resistance-chart.html

She also has a cross-allergy to neoprene and some other synthetic rubbers materials, including contact reactions with car tires. The odor in most tire stores is enough to cause a reaction.

kizmet1

Jun-27

Thanks for the info. I think I will pass on tbe condoms.
Showtalk
Staff

Jun-28

I saw some in a market this week.

I found a picture in the phone this weekend that was taken in November. It showed several full pallets of nitrile gloves at I think either Sam's or Harbor Freight. And I thought "I've got enough to finish the projects around the house" and didn't buy any then.

I just wish I'd had a good crystal ball to look ahead 3 months and I'd have made a different decision that Sunday after Black Friday.

Showtalk
Staff

Jun-29

I had some I never used.  They weren’t even opened.