About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

October 2019 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 1/28/19 by Terry (abquitsmking); 62387 views.
DebraAnne60

May-21

I cannot find the article Tricky 8-11 month mentioned in your post.  Can you help me find it, please? 

Debra just type in the box that says Find Messages Tricky 8-11 months you will get a drop down list on the left hand side. During these months we still get craves that come out of nowhere and the just one junkie thinking from that nicotine monster will scream at you a few more times. Just always go to the one day at a time mindset and stay the steady course to your new life as an exsmoker for good. You will do this just like I did. Stay stubborn and determined!

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

DebraAnne60

May-21

Well I've done that search four times now and it doesn't come up.   

Wayne1957

May-21

I hadn't heard of using cough drops anywhere.  I kind of just instinctively knew that I'd need something to keep my mouth busy, and replace the ritual regularity of a chain-type habit with a different, more benign, chain-type habit.  Cough drops were a natural go-to for me.

Walgreen's has their own store brand of cough drops that they package in 150 drop bags.  They have two sugar-free flavors (sugar-free is a must for me) that I stock up on.  An outlay for drops of about $80 every two weeks does it for me.  That might sound like a lot, but that's way less (WAY, WAY less!) than I was spending on tobacco.  I don't even think twice about the expense, since it's actually a huge savings for me.

And for the record, I don't use cough drops to deal with cravings.  The distinction is important, because I didn't used to smoke to deal with cravings.  I.e., I was a chain smoker.  I never waited for cravings.  I quite literally smoked all the time.  Likewise, now I chain drop.  Exactly the same way I used to smoke; from dawn to dusk.  I still think about smoking often, though not quite as much as a few months ago.  But as far as I can tell, I don't get physical cravings because, except for meal times, I'm always working on a cough drop.

• Edited May 21, 2020 6:22 pm  by  Wayne1957
DebraAnne60

May-21

Well then, that's me corrected.

Thank you

Wayne1957

May-21

Stay quits, and you'll need no other corrections.  ;)

I think the article no longer exists. I checked through old posts. But, it generally made us all stay aware that even at 8-11 months we can get unexpected cravings. Those last nicotine receptors need to shut down and we must stay solid in our quit right till we no longer feel the temptation. For me it took till I was 14 months to be totally free. I wish you the best of luck.

"Quitting isn't for Sissies! I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

SusanK1960

May-22

Hey Debra,

It is under Quit Support.  I saved it in my reading list.  Here is the link.
http://forums.delphiforums.com/quit_smoking/messages/154/141

48yrsmokin

May-22

Yea Debbie was looking for the time period write ups and haven;t really seen anything. Cause it would be good to read about these times cause it's getting questionable at times. I've been fighting with myself at times cause the impulses come on strong and persistent at times. Even at the lenght of time when you think that it will pass easy. It's not. I think this is the strongest i've had to work at my quit for a long time.   I'm sure it will pass but it's  putting me to the test in all the wrong ways.                                                                                   I'm back to the daily NOPE TO THE SMOKE. Not going to do it. My wife helped the other day when she said she really does not miss that Nasty cigg. smell at all.                                                                                               So NOPE TO THE SMOKE SINCE OCT17th 2019. and holding on.   

It's the one day at a time thinking all quitters must adhere to even at the one year mark. Our brains were changed once we got hooked and those nagging thoughts of smoking seem to light up the last remaining nicotine receptors. But, I must say I do not miss smoking or crave at all. To be finally free after smoking for over 44 years really is an accomplishment. I remember feeling so dumb for smoking for so long as I thought if others can quit why can't I. All I can say is don't fall for it again because it's a trap. Keep lots of quit quotes handy and be proud to have this addiction under your control and you chose to stay quit. Keep on noping!

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013