Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Unhappy Urbanites find Homes on the Range   The Newsy You: News of Today

Started 10/21/20 by $1,661.87 in cats (ROCKETMAN_S); 1272 views.
Showtalk
Host

10/23/20

Yes, they will learn or freeze.

kizmet1 said:

There was a very slight hill, and I mean slight. On my day off we had ice. I ended up getting dressed and spending the day going out to tell all the new residents from warm countries to shift down to 1st or low and then go slow to get up a hill. I also said to shift to neutral before using the brakes.

I can imagine. Probably saved them a fortune at the paint and body shop, as well as all sorts of insurance premium increases.

kizmet1

10/24/20

I am sure. I find that the majority of people who drive here during a freeze did not grow up here. My mother taught me and her father taught her and her siblings.

Could be. I heard from folks in NM finally headed to Odessa this evening, who said there were the usual collection of cars and trucks about 100 yards out into pastures trailing 300 feet of barbed wire fence and fence posts after they slid off the road in the ice, and more that the wheels had dug into the dirt at 75 mph after they slid sideways and rolled off the road, which popped two tires and flipped them several times, then they slid another 1/4 mile upside down to a stop.

It happens every single ice storm without fail. Hundreds and hundreds of wipeouts on the ice. So the collision repair shops are going to have a LOT of work to do that will at least have the best dent pullers and frame straighteners with plenty of money for a very nice Christmas, or the ability to make a big tax write-off to help the local food banks and homeless shelters deal with the ongoing humanitarian disaster from the millions still out of work and facing hunger and eviction, or need a lot more blankets to cope with a winter with gas and electricity cut off for delinquent bills and no phone either.

kizmet1

10/28/20

Oh no! That is really shocking and down right stupid!
Showtalk
Host

10/28/20

Do they want to get into accidents and ruin their vehicles?  They couldn’t do worse if they tried.

Showtalk said:

Do they want to get into accidents and ruin their vehicles?

They think they're better drivers it is. They think they're invulnerable. So it won't happen to them. And then it happens to them. Surprise.

kizmet1 said:

That is really shocking and down right stupid!

It's because drivers think such accidents happen only to "other people".

Same reason that some Darwin Award nominees' famous last words often include "Here, hold my beer and watch this"

Showtalk
Host

10/29/20

Even experienced drivers can slide on ice.

Showtalk said:

Even experienced drivers can slide on ice.

However, more experience on ice means less uncontrolled high speed sliding on ice that only ends when they bash into the side of the feed store.

Most of those who don't slide on ice fly a flag with a maple leaf on it. They get a lot of practice from October to April every year, eh.