Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Unhappy Urbanites find Homes on the Range   The Newsy You: News of Today

Started 10/21/20 by $1,661.87 in cats (ROCKETMAN_S); 1269 views.
Showtalk
Host

10/23/20

How do people who live there stay warm?

I wonder how many will total their fancy "green" California compliant cars on the ice in the first real hard freeze with precipitation?

Down here we get a good ice storm about once every 3 to 5 years. Drivers are way out of practice, and you can count several wrecks per mile on the major roads.

Some of us who learned to drive on ice and snow in the mountains of New Mexico, Colorado, the Texas Panhandle, and parts of Oklahoma, Kansas, and Missouri, know to stay home if we possibly can when there's icy roads here, because so many idiot drivers over-estimate their ability to handle the conditions, and are likely to slip and slide right into you.

I'm one of the handful of people who actually owns a set of tire chains to fit my vehicles and practice occasionally putting them on. They also can help with traction on muddy roads, although of course they are designed to bite into the ice. You still have a LOT less traction than rubber on dry clean pavement, but a lot more than rubber on ice. So tire chains become a force multiplier in icy weather.

In New Mexico during mountain ice conditions, they put up signs that say tire chains required on upper elevation roads. And there's these wide spots to pull over and put them on, manned by the highway patrol, who have a gate installed. You stop at the gate, they inspect your chains, and if they pass muster, they raise the gate and let you through, one car at a time, with enough spacing that if someone still wipes out, it limits the number of collisions and risks of pile-ups.

I'm sure that a foot of snow in Southern California would close schools, stores, and nearly every business. A foot of snow in Edmonton, Alberta or somewhere in Montana is just another workday.

They used to rely on jackets and parkas filled with Canada Goose down feathers, and hoods lined with fur from certain Arctic wildlife that is very effective at insulating one from very bitter cold, and also well insulated boots and gloves. Visualize the Inuit people mushing a dog sled.

Those from warm climates will have to learn.

kizmet1

10/23/20

Your question just brought back memories of the days when we were having a lot of refugees from SE Asia move in.
They learned English, learned to drive, got a license and got little Asian cars but no chains or studded tires. I lived on a street that had been widened to 4 lanes plus parking. There was a very slight hill, and I mean slight. On my day off we had ice. I ended up getting dressed and spending the day going out to tell all the new residents from warm countries to shift down to 1st or low and then go slow to get up a hill. I also said to shift to neutral before using the brakes. I was glad to go back to work the next day.
Showtalk
Host

10/23/20

You can’t drive a low sports car safely in those conditions.  Most people can’t.

Showtalk
Host

10/23/20

Yes, they will learn or freeze.

kizmet1 said:

There was a very slight hill, and I mean slight. On my day off we had ice. I ended up getting dressed and spending the day going out to tell all the new residents from warm countries to shift down to 1st or low and then go slow to get up a hill. I also said to shift to neutral before using the brakes.

I can imagine. Probably saved them a fortune at the paint and body shop, as well as all sorts of insurance premium increases.

kizmet1

10/24/20

I am sure. I find that the majority of people who drive here during a freeze did not grow up here. My mother taught me and her father taught her and her siblings.

Could be. I heard from folks in NM finally headed to Odessa this evening, who said there were the usual collection of cars and trucks about 100 yards out into pastures trailing 300 feet of barbed wire fence and fence posts after they slid off the road in the ice, and more that the wheels had dug into the dirt at 75 mph after they slid sideways and rolled off the road, which popped two tires and flipped them several times, then they slid another 1/4 mile upside down to a stop.

It happens every single ice storm without fail. Hundreds and hundreds of wipeouts on the ice. So the collision repair shops are going to have a LOT of work to do that will at least have the best dent pullers and frame straighteners with plenty of money for a very nice Christmas, or the ability to make a big tax write-off to help the local food banks and homeless shelters deal with the ongoing humanitarian disaster from the millions still out of work and facing hunger and eviction, or need a lot more blankets to cope with a winter with gas and electricity cut off for delinquent bills and no phone either.

kizmet1

10/28/20

Oh no! That is really shocking and down right stupid!