About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

1 Year Quit on October 20th   Quit Stories and Journals

Started Oct-13 by BlueDahlia29; 1153 views.
BlueDahlia29

Oct-13

On October 20th I will celebrate a full year as a non-smoker, however this journey to freedom didn't begin a year ago it began in March of 2014. It was then I had my very first thoughts of quitting smoking, up until that point it never even occurred to me that quitting was an option.  I loved my cigarettes, they were there welcoming me 1st thing every morning, saying good night to me every night, and they were who I enjoyed spending time with every hour of every day.  But now, in 2014, things were changing.  I didn't like who I had become, I was a smoker, that was my only identity I didn't do anything but smoke. It consumed me.  I would sit hour after hour, day after day smoking my life away.  I began to pray to God to take this obsession from me.  I didn't realize God wouldn't just remove it from me I had to do my part to help Him out some.  So that March I found an on-line forum that helped people quit smoking, (it wasn't this one although I credit Delphi and the people here as a huge, huge part in my success), I didn't even know such things existed. I began going to it daily, meeting members and pledging day after day not to smoke. After 2 months of failed quit attempts I finally got a lasting quit going and stayed quit for 7 months.  When I went back to smoking I did so because it seemed so easy not to smoke that I (stupidly) thought I could have one once in awhile and be able to quit easily. Boyyyyy was I WRONG!!!!  It wasn't long that I was back to smoking 2 packs a day again.  It took me another 3 years to finally get the quit I have now.  I've stopped and started so many I mean so many probably at least 100 try's before I got this quit. I would go 2- 3 days, 5 days, once in awhile 10 or 13 days.  It was so humiliating to start so many quits and then fail at them.  It wasn't until Oct. 20th of 2018 that I finally had enough, I had just bought a pack of cigarettes, Misty menthol 120's, and I smoked one after smoking it I began coughing uncontrollably and I couldn't get air into my lungs, I believe I was having an asthma attack this lasted awhile and in my head I thought "What are you doing, your killing yourself, your going to end up on an oxygen machine or worse." (It was also at this time that my bio mom was suffering with emphysema and when I talked to her on the phone I could hear her struggling with each breath she took). Once I could catch my breath again I made the decision to never smoke again, I soaked the cigarettes in water and threw them in the trash.  During the quit process I played a mental game with myself. I knew on day 5 I usually would want to smoke so I said to myself make it through day 5 it will get easier. Once I got through day 5 I said, it's only 2 days for a week it will get easier after a week. After a week my goal was 10 days, then 2 weeks and so on and so forth. And it was getting easier.  The more time I put between me and that last cigarette the easier it became.  I'm not going to lie though I still get tempted at times, just 2 weeks ago I was struggling something terrible it was then I reminded myself all I went through to get to where I'm at now. No matter how bad I want a cigarette it's just not an option at ALL anymore, it was way to hard to get here and I'm not willing to give it up without a fight.  I want to thank EVERYONE here in these forums if it wasn't for all of you I could never have done this.  HUGE THANKS to all the Octonopers and Mod Andrea.  Also thanks to all the Mods, you've all been there for me along the way.  No matter how many times you've tried to quit but didn't succeed try again, I am proof that as long as you don't give up, no matter how many times you get knocked down, you can still make it to the finish line.

BLUE

10/20/2018

Screwadriver

Oct-14

Awsome Blue, you did it and helped inspire me throughout my quit! This time last yeat I started my quit slowly by cutting down to a few a day but my offical quit date is Nov 25. So glad our brains adapt and gives us freedom. Thanks Blue for all your contributions.

BlueDahlia29

Oct-14

Hi there Screwadriver. How have you been?

Screwadriver

Oct-14

Been doing real good Blue managed to get back to my normal weight, feeling healthier and had a great check up. Just been real busy and really looking forward to joining the club house. Seldom think smoking and the smell can be such a turn off. Pretty excited lots of us made it and also sad some just disappeared. That was definately tough but we are tougher. 

BlueDahlia29

Oct-14

Glad to hear you're doing so well and congrats getting back to your normal weight, I'm still working on that.  When I smell someone smoking now it makes me gag and when I smell it on someone it makes me grateful I quit the smell is awful. Yes, so happy we've made it, one of the hardest things I've ever done.  Wishing you a great day and look forward to us being in the clubhouse together. (((Hugs)))

Hi Blue,

Congratulations.  You never stopped trying.

What a great post.

Brenda (1sept19)

Oct-14

A great post, Blue.  I have also quit many, many times, but this one is gonna stick.  A big congrats to you and very proud of you.

BlueDahlia29

Oct-14

Hi Marge thank you for posting to me and especially thank you for supporting me along the way even when I failed again and again.  (((Hugs)))

BlueDahlia29

Oct-14

Thank you Brenda and congrats on getting a lasting quit, I know just how difficult it can be at times but it's so worth it to be off of them.

VIV691 (NOSMOKING3)

Oct-15

Congratulations on a year Blue.

Vivienne