Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

New waste laws planned. Do you agree? (SNP)   The Newsy You: News of Today

Started Aug-25 by Showtalk; 9823 views.
Showtalk

Poll Question From Showtalk

Aug-25

New waste laws planned. Do you agree? (SNP)
  • Yes, we should do whatever we can to save the planet2  votes
    12%
  • Maybe, I need to learn more2  votes
    12%
  • No, the laws are meant to limit freedoms and control people11  votes
    68%
  • I'm not sure1  vote
    6%
  • Other0  votes
    0%
Yes, we should do whatever we can to save the planet 
Maybe, I need to learn more 
No, the laws are meant to limit freedoms and control people 
I'm not sure 
Other 
In reply toRe: msg 1
Showtalk
Host

Aug-25

Laws take place in California in 2022. Your state is next. Some hidden requirements

1. Food scraps must be given to animals.  That will change and limit what you can feed your pets

2. Edible food may not be thrown out or may have to be donated Who decides what is edible?  What if you have food  that appears spoiled prior to expiration date or where you don’t know the expiration date? Will you be told what you must eat?  What if food you donate is spoiled and someone else gets sick. Will you be liable?

I can see there could be benefits from this but it was passed in one state without knowledge of voters or residents, or passed as a good thing without details being known.

In reply toRe: msg 2
Showtalk
Host

Aug-25

The first one is concerning as it limits the amount of food one can buy and prepare.  How many of us know exactly how much to buy and use for every meal, every day of every week?  

• Source Reduction – Reduce the volume of surplus food generated
  • Feed Hungry People – Donate extra food to food banks, soup kitchens, and shelters
  • Feed Animals – Divert food scraps to animal food
  • Industrial Uses – Provide waste oils for rendering and fuel conversion and food scraps for digestion to recover energy
  • Composting – Create a nutrient-rich soil amendment
In reply toRe: msg 3
Showtalk
Host

Aug-25

This is new, commercial food providers, I assume restaurants and markets, are now called “edible food generators.”  I predict this will further put restaurants out of business as it makes it impossible for them to operate at a profit.  They are required to donate unused food.  

https://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/organics/slcp/faq

WALTER784

Aug-25

Showtalk said...

1. Food scraps must be given to animals.  That will change and limit what you can feed your pets

Parks and zoos are going to go crazy... they're going to have to take down all those "Don't feed the animals" signs!

Neighbors who own pets are going to file civil lawsuits because their neighbors all dump their food in your yard for your pet(s)!

Showtalk said...

2. Edible food may not be thrown out or may have to be donated Who decides what is edible?  What if you have food  that appears spoiled prior to expiration date or where you don’t know the expiration date? Will you be told what you must eat?  What if food you donate is spoiled and someone else gets sick. Will you be liable?

This too is going to cause a lot of problems. Because even though there is an expiry date... much of it is still edible even after expiry. So who decides what is edible and what is not. Basically, if you throw it in the garbage can... edible or not... expired or not... after you've chunked it in the garbage can... it's no longer edible! (* BWA HA HA *) They're going to run into a lot of lawsuits on this one as well.

And as it's a law... you must comply or be fined! All I can say is expect more Calex!!!

• Edited August 25, 2021 11:26 am  by  WALTER784
Showtalk
Host

Aug-25

During the Obama administration there was talk about old food not being spoiled, but it died out.  Who decides when something is spoiled?  Vegetables are often questionable. Is wilted lettuce or celery still edible? Slimy cucumbers?  Mushy fruit?

WALTER784

Aug-25

Showtalk said...

Who decides when something is spoiled?  Vegetables are often questionable. Is wilted lettuce or celery still edible? Slimy cucumbers?  Mushy fruit?

It's NOT who... it's what... and for me... that what is my nose... if it doesn't pass muster under my nose... it goes in the garbage. Regardless of what anybody else says.

FWIW

Edited to add: [On another note... being born and raised in Central Florida... just leave your food out on the back yard for a few hours and it will NOT be edible.]

• Edited August 25, 2021 11:46 am  by  WALTER784
Showtalk
Host

Aug-25

I didn’t see a law about refrigeration but it’s only a matter of time before leaving food exposed and unattended will be illegal.

WALTER784

Aug-25

Your honor... I cannot pay this $1,000 fine.

The city claims that my food was edible because the expiration date had yet to expire.

But your honor... the cockroaches ate over half of it and thus I'm not about to put it in my mouth!

Etc. et.al ad infinum!!!

FWIW

WALTER784

Aug-25

Showtalk said...

I didn’t see a law about refrigeration but it’s only a matter of time before leaving food exposed and unattended will be illegal.

Go to Central Florida in August.

Go to a local super market and buy your groceries and place them in your car.

On your way home... you pass a pharmacy and you need to pick up a prescription.

Your prescription takes 20 minutes to fill.

Expect to be arrested because 20 minutes in a pharmacy parking lot in August in Central Florida will be leaving food exposed.

All I see are more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more lawsuits piling up due to the stupid laws some imbeciles in government have turned into draconian law!

FWIW