Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

COVID Spin   The Healthy You: Health and Fitness Polls

Started Sep-12 by WALTER784; 468 views.
WALTER784

Sep-12

COVID Spin

COVID Death Rate by State

Kerby Anderson

If you look at some of the COVID numbers, you will find that the statistics defy the spin placed on it by politicians and the media. That’s the argument that Charles Cooke uses in his latest commentary. All you need to do is look at the chart linked to my commentary to see that any spin by Democrats or Republicans or media personalities is wrong.

His opening statement is also his conclusion. “Two presidents. Fifty states. One-hundred-and-ninety-five countries. A multitude of different approaches. And still, there’s no rhyme or reason to this pandemic.” If you look at the COVID death rate per 100,000 by state, you don’t find any pattern. The spin we get from politicians and the media would have you believe that blue states would all be bunched in one area of the chart and red states would be bunched in the other. That is not what you find.

Some liberal media commentators would have you believe that “red states are bad and blue states are good.” Another writer says the “north is good, and the south is bad.” Charles Cooke has an answer for all those comments.

“If it were, what could possibly account for the death-rate pairings of New York and Mississippi? Of Alabama and Connecticut? Of Michigan and Arkansas? Of Texas and Delaware? Of Idaho and Colorado?”

Or consider what is happening in Israel. I was supposed to be leading a tour to Israel. That’s not happening even though Israel has had heavily enforced lockdowns, mask mandates, and the most successful vaccination program anywhere. Yet the first country to fully vaccinate a majority of its citizens now has one of the world’s highest daily infection rates.

As I have said in previous commentaries, we need a bit more humility when making statements about the pandemic. And I might add, we should ignore all the spin which has been proven to be false.

FWIW
  • Edited September 12, 2021 6:20 am  by  WALTER784
Showtalk
Host

Sep-12

Looks relatively equally distributed.  California is way below the other huge states.

WALTER784

Sep-12

Yes... therefore... the strict lockdowns in liberal states are totally unnecessary! They only worsen the livelihood of small and medium size businesses and really don't do much to stop the spread.

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Sep-13

San Francisco has almost stopped Covid through extreme measures. It worked there.

WALTER784

Sep-13

Showtalk said...

San Francisco has almost stopped Covid through extreme measures. It worked there.

They used to show World Wide Covid data per county for all States in the U.S. but they stopped doing that. Now they only show the total per State and not per county here: California COVID: 4,503,342 Cases and 67,356 Deaths - Worldometer (worldometers.info)

This is for all of California though but on Sep 7, 2021, they had a total of 7,271 new cases:

It's hard to find data pertaining to San Francisco except for their own numbers... and knowing California... and San Francisco in particular... can these numbers really be trusted? I created the following graph from the raw data downloaded from: COVID-19 Cases Over Time | DataSF | City and County of San Francisco (sfgov.org) Sept 7, 2021 showed only 132 new cases. That's only 1.82% of the entire State. 

California State has a population of39,613,493 and San Francisco has a population of 883,255. So San Francisco has 2.23% of the total population of California.

And they say that their percentage of Covid new cases is 1.82%.

OK... it's close... 1.82% vs 2.23%... but that's a 0.41% difference.

Many will call that dismal and that such a slight number should be dismissed as being accurate.

OK then... let's go with that gaff off of an explanation.

And with it... follow up with a 0.41% vs 0.20% difference... now the difference between 0.41% and 0.20% is 2.1%. Why do I bring up 0.20%? Well, the chances of me dying of Covid (should I get it) is 0.20%. But hey... let's gaff that one off two as an explanation and thus no reason to get the vaccination!

But... but... but... oh no... you're going to kill us all! (* AHEM *) I rest my case.

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Sep-13

There were zero new cases in their schools.

WALTER784

Sep-14

Showtalk said...

There were zero new cases in their schools.

Are their schools open?

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Sep-14

Yes, they are back in the classroom. Those who are still left.  Families who can work elsewhere have moved. My friend’s daughter has three children and her husband works remotely in tech. They moved outside of LA and were able to afford to buy a house near good schools. He can work anywhere in the world that has internet access.