Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Confused malcontents swilling Chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Racism   General Confusion

Started 6/13/19 by Jenifer (Zarknorph); 22500 views.
In reply toRe: msg 235
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Jun-11

In reply toRe: msg 236
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Jun-11

In reply toRe: msg 237
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Jun-11

bml00

Jun-11

Slavery still exists it has not disappeared and emblems simply change , whether it was the Eagles of the Roman Legion or the Flags of Regiments or the Swastika , they are merely replaced all the time by new rallying calls

History good or bad is History you cannot change the past , are you going to pull down Churchill statues because he fire bombed Dresden and incenerated 100.000 people will you ask the US to remove their stautes of leadership , will you pull down statues of Truman who bombed Japan , these are part and parcel of emperical history

BM

PS Pull them down and watch the right and the far right wait their time to reinstate everything that is destroyed , you defeat yourself in these actions

• Edited June 11, 2020 2:31 am  by  bml00
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Jun-12

I agree.

But there has to be a clear line.

Perhaps instead of tearing them down, move them all to their own museum devoted to assholes of history.

Perhaps this new generation is the first to really start learning about the kind of people they really were.

That's why they're so pissed off.

Either way, no one will ever agree where the line should be.

And no one side gets to determine that line.

Otherwise we'd be tearing down Disneyland.

IOW - I have NO answers.  Only ideas.

bml00

Jun-12

I do not belong to the same idea club as you , I learnt and have been fascinated by History and the peoples and events that have shaped it .

If one group for whatever reasons decides to move XY or Z then as sure as Gd made little green apples the other group will react , why change what has been why change something which is part of history .

The movements people are seeing now be it the BLM or whoever are moving to become political forces and that is wrong they are trying to move goal posts and the reaction to such acts will be totally counterproductive .

bm

adwil

Jun-12

Jenifer (Zarknorph) said:

And if it weren't for "political correctness", Germany would still have a swastika for a flag.

Sadly that got rid of a European good luck symbol that commonly appeared on greetings cards, posters and other printed documents. You can still find it in India but its association with the Nazis wiped it out in Europe.

adwil

Jun-12

Jenifer (Zarknorph) said:

Having a statue to a slave trader does nothing to enhance the culture of any society.

Of course it does. You have a reminder that a generous local benefactor got some of his wealth by selling slaves. Colston's statue wasn't put up because he sold slaves but because he endowed, hospitals, schools, almshouses and churches in his native Bristol. 

There is a perfectly clear system that citizens can implement if they want a statue removed. They hold a meeting, set up an organisation and gather the signatures of 5% of the electors and there has to be a local referendum on the issue. If a majority vote to remove Colston, that's what happens. I hope the iconoclasts get charged, appear in court and are fined heavily otherwise it'll happen again and again.

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Jun-13

Yes. That is definitely better that mob rule - but all things are.

In reply toRe: msg 244
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Jun-21