Butterflies moths dragonflies -  Nature's camouflage at work (110 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 5) 

Cloudless sulphur on rebud leaf.  If one doesn't see (I think this is a male, but I'm not totally sure.  The mark in the upper wing looks more like an injury than part of the female coloration) the butterfly land, it would totally blend into the leaves.  This is the time of year, as the leaves are turning, that the cloudless sulphur migrates south.

To: MerlinsDad  (2 of 5) 
 1797.2 in reply to 1797.1 

That is a great camouflage job.

1.  Are your leaves beginning to turn?

2.  I didn't know that your sulfurs migrated.  I wonder if ours migrate.

Reply   Options 

To: The Moth (Cecropian)  (3 of 5) 
 1797.3 in reply to 1797.2 

Cloudless sulphurs are just one of several species which migrate.  They are starting their migration now. and their numbers will increase into September.  I will still be seeing them in October and some stragglers in November.  My cypress vine, a favorite nectar plant, is just beginning to bloom; it will be full of sulphurs later this month and into September.  Yes. Yours migrate.  They can't survive the cold.  [An aside:  I just looked out the window at my zinnia patch -- 9:45 a.m. -- I saw at least 3 gulf fritillaries, 2 cabbage whites, a tiger swallowtail, a cloudless sulphur, several silver spotted skippers, and probably some fiery skippers (I'm too far away to tell).  The bed is really jumping with butterflies today.  I love it.]  Some of the migrating butterflies winter over in south Georgia, but not many here.  Our winters can be too cold.  A plant called a cardinal flower, a species of lobelia, grows wild in Georgia and is just getting ready to bloom; I have a couple of them which will bloom in the next week or so; they are a favorite nectaring site for cloudless sulphurs as they journey south.

The easement will be full of butterflies from now through October; my senna is about to bloom (a host plant of the cloudless sulphur).  The sensitive pea is starting to bloom, another favorite of the cloudless sulphurs and the sleepy oranges.  It's going to be pretty today; I'm sorry I have to go to work.

To: The Moth (Cecropian)  (4 of 5) 
 1797.4 in reply to 1797.2 

The cloudless sulphur has enough green in their coloration that they disappear into the red bud leaves (in fact, they look like redbud leaves) and into the green of the cypress vine, which is massive.  When I see them flitting through the zinnias, they appear to be bright lemony yellow, but they are really the color of changing leaves.  Yes, some of the leaves are changing.  We're seeing the fade into yellow in a lot of plants.  There's not enough change to call it fall yet.  Maybe by mid October, we'll begin to see the colors appear.

To: All  (5 of 5) 
 1797.5 in reply to 1797.4 

A promo has been generated for this thread:

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.