Other insects -  They're back (216 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 16) 

Brown marmorated stink bug.  Recent invasive.  Now swarming a city near you.

Look at those evil red eyes.  Ish....

I saw one yesterday and I kinda knew it was that time of year.  Today, even though it was hot and muggy, there was a dozen of the beasts crawling around the door and the windows, trying to get in.

Reply   Options 

To: The Moth (Cecropian)  (2 of 16) 
 1968.2 in reply to 1968.1 

... SLAMS the door hard. 

To: The Moth (Cecropian)  (3 of 16) 
 1968.3 in reply to 1968.1 

ycck

To: All  (4 of 16) 
 1968.4 in reply to 1968.1 

Oh God, the onslaught has begun.  I am now finding them in my abode.  I sentence them to death by Kleenex.  Today I was getting dressed and I found one crawling on my arm.

Ish...

To: The Moth (Cecropian)  (5 of 16) 
 1968.5 in reply to 1968.4 

I presume that your statement "I sentence them to death by Kleenex" means that you squish them without suffering the consequences of why they are called "stink bugs"?

To: The Moth (Cecropian)  (6 of 16) 
 1968.6 in reply to 1968.1 

> They're back

I guessed the other thread's topic from the title ("Pretty in the fall, but don't touch") but not this one. The brown marmorated stink bug has been detected down here but hasn't become a problem yet (I don't look forward to it).

[Wikipedia]

• Edited October 4, 2018 8:46 am  by  gjones2two

To: MerlinsDad  (7 of 16) 
 1968.7 in reply to 1968.5 

MerlinsDad said...

I presume that your statement "I sentence them to death by Kleenex" means that you squish them without suffering the consequences of why they are called "stink bugs"?

I have perfected the squish technique.  You have to gently but quickly pick them up with the Kleenex and make sure they are completely enveloped inside it before applying the squish.  Then it's no problem.

To: gjones2two  (8 of 16) 
 1968.8 in reply to 1968.6 

gjones2two said...

The brown marmorated stink bug has been detected down here but hasn't become a problem yet (I don't look forward to it).

They're awful.  Their numbers are staggering and they're so sneaky they will find a way into your house no matter what.  They just showed up en masse suddenly two years ago out of the blue.

To: The Moth (Cecropian)  (9 of 16) 
 1968.9 in reply to 1968.7 

I saw the chart.  I notice that Georgia is one of the states without an infestation.  We have them, but not in any great numbers.  The regular brown one, however, is quite common.  http://www.stopbmsb.org/stink-bug-basics/look-alike-insects/

To: The Moth (Cecropian)  (10 of 16) 
 1968.10 in reply to 1968.8 

> The brown marmorated stink bug...

The word "marmorated" reminded me of "marinated". If you could marinate the critters, and make an appetizing dish out of them, then maybe they wouldn't be so bad. :-)

(I wouldn't want to try that dish myself, though. I'm not an adventurous eater. I don't even like to eat some kinds of seafood -- arthropods in general look too much like insects to appeal to me.)

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-16
Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.