News -  Royal Society of Biology photo awards (248 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 20) 

The theme for the 2018 competition was Patterns in Nature.

Here is the Photographer of the Year award:

The winning entry for Photographer of the Year, submitted by Roberto Bueno, captures intricate trails left by larvae on autumnal leaves on the forest floor in the Yukon valley, in Canada.

"A little larvae is an autumnal surprise in the northern woods of Alaska and Yukon," said Roberto.

"The feeding behaviour of aspen leaf miner (Phyllocnistis populiella) larvae, on the leaves of aspen (Populus tremuloides), make interesting patterns, with intricate trails on every leaf.

The other photos are also very much worth a look over.

https://www.bbc.com/news/in-pictures-45829411

Reply   Options 

To: The Moth (Cecropian)  (2 of 20) 
 2068.2 in reply to 2068.1 

Those are worth looking over. They are amazing. It does look like a lot of them may have been taken with a macro lens. 

To: niteowl410  (3 of 20) 
 2068.3 in reply to 2068.2 

They ARE amazing!  I think it's great that the guy won the top prize for taking a picture of a bunch of leaves on the ground.  He has a good eye!

To: The Moth (Cecropian)  (4 of 20) 
 2068.4 in reply to 2068.1 

All of these are utterly amazing. 

1.As you suggest, the individual who photoed these aspen leaves had a wonderful eye to be able to see them and a great sense of composition to make them into the photo we see.  I would love to know what equipment, including editing program, were used in each photo. 

2.  I love the shot of the gecko.  I wonder if the critter was wild or if it was in an aquarium, a "pet," as it were, one accustomed to human interest.  It seems to me that getting such a close-up shot of a wild gecko would border on the impossible, unless this species of lizard is a lot less skittish than most.

3,  I didn't know what an Orbea variegata is, so I looked it up.  Orbea variegata is a species of flowering plant in the dogbane family Apocynaceae, known as the star flower. It is native to the coastal belt of the Western Cape, South Africa, growing actively during the winter rainfall season.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbea_variegata.  That is quite a shot; I would like to know what lens and what settings

4.  This is definitely a winner.  Spotting this requires a special eye, and to have one's camera when the opportunity is there requires amazing foresight.  As you know, however, sometimes when one takes one's camera for a walk, one sees the most amazing things.

5.  It's a fantastic shot of patterns, but I didn't like it as well as did most of the others.  It's a terrific photo, but not jaw-droppingly amazing like so many of the others.

6.  This one is in the jaw-dropping category.  To be able to see it is amazing; to be able to get this good a photo doubles its amazingness.

7.  I presume this one was done through a microscope.  It's utterly beautiful.

8.  The caption says "polarised light microscopy."  An absolutely amazing photo.  I love it

9.  This is also amazing.  I wonder how he was able to get this shot. 

10.  This is interesting, but I wasn't blwon away by it as I was by several others.

11. This, however, is amazing. Who would have guessed that crystalized citric acid would create such a pattern with such colors.

12.  This is astounding. 

I think there needs to be separate categories for those taken with the eye and those taken with the microscope.  They are totally different worlds, as these photos reveal.

To: MerlinsDad  (5 of 20) 
 2068.5 in reply to 2068.4 

MerlinsDad said...

I think there needs to be separate categories for those taken with the eye and those taken with the microscope.  They are totally different worlds, as these photos reveal.

I would agree.  There's a difference between seeing the natural world with the naked eye and seeing it with the help of very expensive microscopes.

Both can produce amazing results.  But when I look at the photo of leaves that won the top prize, I am struck with the fact that this guy had the creativity to appreciate what was right under his feet.  Something that was so common that anyone could have seen it if only they stopped to look.

To: All  (6 of 20) 
 2068.6 in reply to 2068.5 

A promo has been generated for this thread:

To: The Moth (Cecropian)  (7 of 20) 
 2068.7 in reply to 2068.5 

I agree with your assessment of the winning photo, but the one with the frog and spawn is equally amazing to me. 

I loved the one with the grasshopper.  It is indistinguishable from a leaf.  Wow!

I am doing another program on nature photography in April.  Any suggestions?  In the two years since I did the last one, I've upgraded my equipment and have become even more interested in the subjects for their own sake because the better equipment lets me see them better.  My thought is to provide a "look what you can see in your backyard approach."  You know, "don't be afraid of bees; if you don't bother them, they won't bother you."  

The theme the first time was "Pursue your passion"  I think I will use that again.  After all, look at how young we've stayed because of the passion to get outside and see something you've never seen before or to see a new way something you've seen many times before."

To: MerlinsDad  (8 of 20) 
 2068.8 in reply to 2068.7 

MerlinsDad said...

My thought is to provide a "look what you can see in your backyard approach."

I think this is perfect.  But you probably already knew that.

I think it would be great to give your audience a sense of what is special about nature in Georgia, i.e. the Deep South.  The hot summers, the mild winters and the critters and plants that all entails.

You are welcome to use any pics I have posted on this forum as an example of how that differs from the Frozen North.

To: The Moth (Cecropian)  (9 of 20) 
 2068.9 in reply to 2068.8 

I think your comment about "what makes nature in the south different" is a good idea, even what makes nature in our part of the state different is a good approach, and talk to them about not using herbicides and insecticides.   Talk about planting a butterfly garden.  The master gardener I asked to do it last year didn't do as well as I would have.  In fact, I think it annoyed her that I knew so much.  Explain why the grasses are not as important as the weeds, especially in the fall when the butterflies are migrating.  Tell them why bird feeders and bird baths in the yard are important.   We have nice parks in the area, where the woodland trails can provide good nature shots.

Thanks for the suggestion

To: MerlinsDad  (10 of 20) 
 2068.10 in reply to 2068.9 

"Your back yard" is a perfect topic as Moth already agreed. You can use my Iowa pictures too. 

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-20
Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.