Wildflowers -  Wild ginger - Asarum canadense reflexum (114 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 12) 

Reply   Options 

To: PlantLust (PlantLust2)  (2 of 12) 
 2348.2 in reply to 2348.1 

I don't recall having seen wild ginger before.  This explains why

Asarum caudatum, wild ginger [British Columbia wildginger], is a native perennial forb that is evergreen throughout most of its range. It grows as an understory plant in moist, montane forests (0-1200 meters / 2200 feet) of the Pacific Northwest, and is found in British Columbia, Washington, Oregon, California, Idaho, and western Montana, where it grows in zones with mild, wet winters (lows 15-25 degrees F) and warm, dry summers. 

Map of the United States showing states. States are colored green where the wild ginger may be found.

https://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/plant-of-the-week/asarum_caudatum.shtml

To: PlantLust (PlantLust2)  (3 of 12) 
 2348.3 in reply to 2348.1 

Can you cook with it?

To: MerlinsDad  (4 of 12) 
 2348.4 in reply to 2348.2 

Huh. Who knew there's a different species? Well, i mean, i knew that there's a European wild ginger( The European ginger has very glossy leaves) but i didnt know there's a western species. 

The one I've got has all green dull leaves and the flower petals reflex back.  Asarum canadense reflexum.  Canadense would indicate Canada, so that's gotta mean there's another species native up in Canada. 

To: niteowl410  (5 of 12) 
 2348.5 in reply to 2348.3 

No.  It smells like ginger and was used as a spice but is a different genus from true ginger.  It has high amounts of somekind of acid (Aristo???? acid) that is not good. 

Too bad. 

From: Not Quite Normal (Kidmagnet) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMay-13 4:24 PM 
To: PlantLust (PlantLust2)  (6 of 12) 
 2348.6 in reply to 2348.4 
  • Edited May 13, 2020 4:30 pm  by  Not Quite Normal (Kidmagnet)

To: PlantLust (PlantLust2)  (7 of 12) 
 2348.7 in reply to 2348.5 

OK. Thanks 

To: PlantLust (PlantLust2)  (8 of 12) 
 2348.8 in reply to 2348.4 

Range of Asarum canadense, so there's an Eastern species and a western species.  How interesting. 

Wild ginger has some interesting ethnobotanical uses as well. Native Americans and early Euro-American settlers have used wild ginger as a spice. The root is harvested dried and then ground into a powder. Early settlers also cooked pieces of the root in sugar water for several days to obtain a ginger-flavored, candied root. The left over liquid was then boiled down to syrup that was used on pancakes and other food items. However, you should be aware that scientists have determined that the plants may contain poisonous compounds and consumption of the plant is highly discouraged.

https://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/plant-of-the-week/images/asarumcanadense/ASCA_lg.gif

https://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/plant-of-the-week/asarum_canadense.shtml

From: Lyndy (Lyndy7) DelphiPlus Member IconMay-22 8:49 AM 
To: PlantLust (PlantLust2)  (9 of 12) 
 2348.9 in reply to 2348.1 

This article and forum have been featured in today's Delphi Daily News ~ Join in!

http://forums.delphiforums.com/news1/messages/?msg=3343.1

To: Lyndy (Lyndy7) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (10 of 12) 
 2348.10 in reply to 2348.9 

Thank you, Lyndy

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-12
Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.