Etcetera -  The Invisible Highway (141 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Kid (Kidmagnet) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJun-25 2:15 PM 
To: PlantLust (PlantLust2)  (1 of 11) 

Your post reminded me of this...

Reply   Options 

To: Kid (Kidmagnet) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 11) 
 2433.2 in reply to 2433.1 

Fascinating.  Thank you. 

To: Kid (Kidmagnet) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 11) 
 2433.3 in reply to 2433.1 

Yes, fascinating video. Though I'd seen a few references to insects being up there, I must confess that's terra incognita to me (or caelum incognitum -- not sure of the Latin). A record-setting termite at 19,000 feet? Not much wood up there. What's it doing there? That goes for everything else. Are some of them accidentally lifted up by the winds and can't get down again?

I've heard of spiders "ballooning" on the wind to spread the species to distant places, and some butterflies migrating to other places, but wonder if the other insects are up there for those reasons. And how long are they there? Predators can eat other insects, but non-predators would need to get back down for food. Also it's cold at high altitudes. I thought most insects didn't like cold.

That video raises many questions, and I'm not sure where to go for the answers.

• Edited June 28, 2020 4:02 am  by  gjones2two

To: All  (4 of 11) 
 2433.4 in reply to 2433.3 

I've observed birds (swifts, in particular) flying about -- not at an extremely high altitude, but several hundred feet up -- and apparently catching insects. I wondered at the time what the insects were doing up there.

• Edited June 28, 2020 3:42 am  by  gjones2two

To: gjones2two  (5 of 11) 
 2433.5 in reply to 2433.4 

that's an interesting and thought provoking observation. 

To: gjones2two  (6 of 11) 
 2433.6 in reply to 2433.3 

You've posed some interesting questions.  I did some nosing around trying to get some information on how high migratory species of butterflies fly and was unsuccessful.  Migratory species travel through this part of Georgia in the fall:  cloudless sulfurs, sleepy orange, gulf fritillaries, and others.

A few years ago, my wife and I took an excursion train from Cordele to Plains.  It was the height of the migration season and all along the train route clouds of yellow butterflies would rise as the train passed.  It was an amazing spectacle.

From: Kid (Kidmagnet) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJun-28 10:21 AM 
To: gjones2two  (7 of 11) 
 2433.7 in reply to 2433.3 

To: Kid (Kidmagnet) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (8 of 11) 
 2433.8 in reply to 2433.7 

Thanks. That adds a little to the information.

From: Kid (Kidmagnet) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJun-28 7:43 PM 
To: gjones2two  (9 of 11) 
 2433.9 in reply to 2433.8 

Sorry - half the time I am on my phone and I'm so over typing with a couple of fingers and a million typos lol

That article also mentioned this book and if you scroll down you can read a bit of the chapter titles Air

https://www.amazon.com/Insectopedia-Hugh-Raffles-2011-03-22/dp/B01FGJ7YGM#reader_B01FGJ7YGM

To: Kid (Kidmagnet) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (10 of 11) 
 2433.10 in reply to 2433.7 

Very interesting supplement to the video.  Thanks

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11
Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.