Other insects -  Paper wasp cools nest with its wings (46 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 3) 

This red and black paper wasp (Genus Polistes) was cooling the nest by fanning its wings.  As you can see in the photos, the nest is in the direct afternoon sun, where it can get very hot.  I had never seen a wasp do this. 

They usually put their nests in the eaves, and I saw one on the ground last summer, but I had never seen one as exposed as this one or one positioned in direct sun.  It's easy for me to photo since it's slightly above eye level.

I misidentified it as a mud dauber's nest in an earlier post.  Upon review, I saw that it was a paper wasp nest, although shaped differently from others I've seen

When I first saw the wasp, it was moving onto the front of the nest, providing an opportunity for a clear photo of the wasp  I can see the wing of a second, but I was unable to determine what it was doing.

then it started fanning

and moving across the front of the nest

• Edited September 15, 2020 8:19 am  by  MerlinsDad

From: Kid (Kidmagnet) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostSep-14 10:26 PM 
To: MerlinsDad  (2 of 3) 
 2578.2 in reply to 2578.1 

WOW those are great shots!

Reply   Options 

To: Kid (Kidmagnet) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 3) 
 2578.3 in reply to 2578.2 

Thank you.   I had vague recollections of reading or hearing that wasps fan their nests to keep them cool but had never seen it.  

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.