Etcetera -  My camera walks Sept 2020 -- butterflies (181 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 9) 

September 27 was a good photography day; the rest of the week wasn't, so I've combined the photos for the week of September 27 to October 3.  I've also broken it down into four separate posts.

Monday was a gorgeous, bright warm day, and there were a lot of butterflies out.  The weather has subsequently gotten chillier, so I didn't see a lot of activity later in the week.

zebra longwing (Heliconius charithonia)

little sulphur (Eurema lisa)

male monarch (Danaus plexippus)

fiery skipper (Hylephila phylus)

eastern tailed-blue (Cupido comyntas)

cabbage white (Pieris rapae)

variegated fritillary (Euptoieta claudia) and pearl crescent (Phyciodes tharos) on ageratum

dusted skipper (Atrytonopsis hianna)

For some reason, this shot makes me chuckle

pearl crescent (Phyciodes tharos)

cloudless sulphur (Phoebis sennae) on cypress vine.  Not the best shot of a cloudless sulphur but a good shot of the cypress vine

American lady (Vanessa virginiensis).  She's a little ragged, but she's the only one who would pose for me.

gray hairstreak (Strymon melinus)

buckeye (Junonia coenia)

gulf fritillary (Agraulis vanillae)

long-tailed skipper (Urbanis proteus)

• Edited October 5, 2020 10:23 am  by  MerlinsDad

To: MerlinsDad  (2 of 9) 
 2589.2 in reply to 2589.1 

I miss seeing different kinds of butterflies.  I haven't seen a zebra swallowtail in over two years.  About all we have are Monarchs, cabbage and common sulpher.

CATS

To: Cats (NancyMI)  (3 of 9) 
 2589.3 in reply to 2589.2 

I'm not seeing the number that I am used to seeing.  I've spotted and photographed a goodly numer of species this summer, but usually have seen only one of a species, rather than the usual three or four or more and probably not as many species as I've seen in previous years.  September 27 was a very good day.  The best I've had since sometime in July. 

I spotted a species today I've not seen since last year and will post it in a few minutes.

From: Kid (Kidmagnet) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostOct-8 12:13 AM 
To: MerlinsDad  (4 of 9) 
 2589.4 in reply to 2589.1 

That longtailed skipper is really neat! All of them are gorgeous, nice post!

Reply   Options 

To: Kid (Kidmagnet) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 9) 
 2589.5 in reply to 2589.4 

Thank you.

I agree.  The bright green of the long-tailed skipper really catches one's attention.  They're very active, moving quickly and often from blossom to blossom.

To: MerlinsDad  (6 of 9) 
 2589.6 in reply to 2589.5 

Beautiful pictures of the butterflies.  I see a lot of the sulfur butterflies this time of year in SC.

border=

To: Tedster (MARCIASC)  (7 of 9) 
 2589.7 in reply to 2589.6 

Thank you.

I see a lot of cloudless sulphurs and sleepy oranges this time of year also, although I've not seen as many this year as in years past.  They migrate up the easement and stop at the cypress vine.

To: MerlinsDad  (8 of 9) 
 2589.8 in reply to 2589.1 

Woah! looks like its a cold rainy weather to most of the cities! Hope everyone is safe. 

To: AureaReaa unread  (9 of 9) 
 2589.9 in reply to 2589.8 

Welcome to Nature Talk.  I hope you will visit again.

Hurrican Delta has brought us several days of rain -- very hard rain at times -- and heavy overcast.  We've had an unusually wet fall because of the Gulf of Mexico hurricanes making landfall on the continental US.  I have a feeling that our winter won't be very cold, but it will be wet.  

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.