Wildflowers -  Milk weed (117 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 10) 

The Great Moth posted a photo of the milkweed returning and aroused my curiosity, so I went looking for the milkweed plant I saw in the easement last summer.  I found it.  In fact, it now appears that there are at least two of them.  The second is in the margin between woods and plains and has not started budding yet.  They're putting out buds.  My butterfly weed is ready to bloom.

They all look pretty healthy this year.

• Edited May 11, 2017 4:33 pm  by  MerlinsDad

To: MerlinsDad  (2 of 10) 
 953.2 in reply to 953.1 

Wow, look how grown those are!  :-)  Mine were too small to even put out blooms last year.  But I started them from seed so they had a late start.  My hope is that since they popped up from rhizomes this year as soon as Mother Nature would allow, that I might actually see blooms this year.  Here is the largest of my milkweeds today:

Reply   Options 

To: The Moth (Cecropian)  (3 of 10) 
 953.3 in reply to 953.2 

Looking  healthy.  It might bloom. 

To: MerlinsDad  (4 of 10) 
 953.4 in reply to 953.3 

I was looking at your milkweed pictures and what struck me as unusual is that the leaves are so curly.  I know I have not run into this before because when I collect milkweed leaves to feed the caterpillars, I put them in Ziploc bags in the fridge.  So I have the opportunity to get a really close look at them.  The leaves I have collected have NEVER been curly.

Your milkweed therefore must be clasping milkweed (Asclepias amplexicaulis).  There are so many milkweed species out there!

http://bonap.net/NAPA/TaxonMaps/Genus/County/Asclepias

I am going to keep better track of the milkweeds this year so I know exactly which species I am running into.

To: The Moth (Cecropian)  (5 of 10) 
 953.5 in reply to 953.4 

It definitely looks like Asclepias amplexicaulis, which appears to be an eastern plant.  I wish I could transplant it to my garden, but it's supposedly hard to transplant.

That's the only species I've seen in the easement.  I have Asclepias tuberosa in my garden.  I hope I see monarch caterpillars again this year.

To: The Moth (Cecropian)  (6 of 10) 
 953.6 in reply to 953.4 

butterfly weed with that strange moth-like critter  (Taken May 3)

To: MerlinsDad  (7 of 10) 
 953.7 in reply to 953.6 

My butterfly weed is still seeds, I think.  Who knows if they will germinate this year....

Oh my gosh, that little moth thing seems to be everywhere down there!!  :-)

To: The Moth (Cecropian)  (8 of 10) 
 953.8 in reply to 953.7 

I've seen several of them in the past two or three weeks.

To: MerlinsDad  (9 of 10) 
 953.9 in reply to 953.8 

We must make it our mission to identify those little things.  :-)

To: The Moth (Cecropian)  (10 of 10) 
 953.10 in reply to 953.9 

Agreed

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.