NelleyPen

Poetry Playpen

Hosted by NelleyPen

If you are not into writing or POETRY lifestyle you will be bored here...

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Language Diversity    Discussions

Started Aug-15 by NelleyPen; 1108 views.
NelleyPen

Aug-15

LANGUAGE diversity

38 Americanisms the British Can’t Bloody Stand

To Some of Us, Grammar Feels Personal

By Gyles Brandreth August 12, 201

Here are just 38 of the Americanisms it seems the British public really can’t stand.

1. When people ask for something, I often hear: “Can I get a . . .” It infuriates me. It’s not New York. It’s not the ’90s. You’re not in Central Perk with the rest of the Friends. Really.

2. The next time someone tells you something is the “least worst option,” tell them that their most best option is learning grammar.

A lot more is said on AUDIO

The Americanized version of Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone refers to “English muffins” instead of “crumpets.” It has come to this.

https://lithub.com/38-americanisms-the-british-cant-bloody-stand/

blush

In reply toRe: msg 1
NelleyPen

Aug-15

This topic came about due to the LANGUAGE Policing on specific hosts around forums; it was an innocent homage on a British poem. I feel the pain because the other day (on facebook) I had an extensive mockery on something I wrote. It was my own verse, the mockery went on for about a week because I used a semi-colon ; instead of a simple coma. This mocking loser never wrote a poem or even read anything, he only saw the misplaced semi-colon and it bothered him so much he had nothing else to do but pick on me. 

POEM:
From "Upon Appleton House, to My Lord Fairfax" by Andrew Marvell:

[...]
http://forums.delphiforums.com/aphorism/messages/?msg=1436.1

sweat_smile

TAB00GA

Aug-15

I have no issue with American slangs!!!!!

Lana (Redneckbab1)

Aug-15

CHILLIN'

Neither have I - nevertheless the world should not revolve sole on American slang!

Lana (Redneckbab1)

Aug-15

Brits Favorite American words from the...

US Embassy London Published on 21 Jun 2016
https://youtu.be/RAsJ0Jq42DI
We asked British people which words they'd like to import to the UK

heart_eyes

TAB00GA

Aug-16

Too complicated people should talk creatively whatever comes into their minds and out of their tongue!!!

Snokulokapus

Aug-16

Com'On ; !  ;)

Americans and bigger and stronger than anyone else.

Check out all the wars the U.S initiated around the world to keep their ammunition industry blooming!

sweat_smile

StatsChew

Aug-20

It's great that you aren't British,  blush

... because there's a guy on D-Forums, a self-proclaimed ''teacher, a Scottish national living in Spain,'' with a hardcore honesty and feeling with a poignant obligation to correct everyone's grammar and typo everywhere... 

GonghisKhan

Aug-21

I don't think APH0rism will be back, no matter what we do or say. It's more about the huge numbers of emails she gets from unknown senders. ... and she isn't alone.

How personal 'privacy gets exposed to hackers that send hundreds of email a day is beyond my comprehension.