New England Riders

Hosted by Easy Ed (epconde)

The NER is a group of motorcyclists that self organize in this forum and a Facebook Group to ride and have fun with other riders. We are an inclusive group - all motorcycle brands are welcome. It is not a club – no dues, membership, or officers.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Where's everybody go?   General Topics

Started Jul-26 by DoubleCutter; 500 views.
DoubleCutter

Jul-26

Hi, it's been eight or nine years since I was on here, and, wow, what a shocker to check-in only to find an empty site! I guess it shouldn't come as a surprise, since my own delphi forum for paperhangers was long ago steamrolled by facebook. Anyhow, I used to haul my Shadow Spirit 1100 from NJ up to a friend's place in Belchertown, and from there we'd take off to bomb around Mass, NH and Vermont once a summer. I moved to western PA in 2012, got off of Facebook in 2014, and haven't ridden in New England since. I've missed it (New England, not facebook). But now I'm the new owner of a 2012 Goldwing, and I'm looking forward to getting back to your fair corner of the country soon. The Shadow wasn't really do-able for a nine-hour trip, but this amazing wing should make the trip a comfortable one. 

My wife is on facebook, so I guess I'll use her account to catch up over there.

We rode down to Wheeling, West Virginia, this weekend, and she took this snapshot as we approached a cool looking cable bridge. I almost forget that I still have the Nerd sticker on my old HJC helmet from way back. I had to laugh when I saw her photo. Take care, and I miss this group.

Cliff Hayes, Beaver, PA (formerly Freehold, NJ, but originally from Newtown, CT)

ParrotheadSteve

Jul-29

Hey Cliff.

congratulations on the new to you Goldwing. Looking to bumper to a Wing or a Yamaha Venture when I trade up from my 650 V Star.

Yes most all of the activity is now on the Facebook page. My recommendation is even if you’re not gonna use Facebook for much of anything else (which seems pretty wise these days), get your own login so you can participate in the group as yourself. The group has grown greatly and there’s Much more  going on in the last four years since I joined NER. All of it found over there.

Keep both wheels down,

Steve

DoubleCutter

Jul-31

Thanks, Steve. I used my wife Brenda’s fb account to join the NER  Facebook page, and a couple of days later she said, “All these people are welcoming me, and i don’t know why!”  I quit Facebook six years ago because I found it both toxic and addictive, and life's been better without it. I’ll bookmark the NER.org site and follow-along there as best i can, and I’ll check-in occasionally on Facebook with Brenda's iPad. Marketplace is fantastic, I have to admit, so I’m not totally anti-Facebook. 

I love the goldwing, although it was a big step up from the 1100 Shadow Spirit that i rode for seventeen years. I’m 5’8”, 150 lbs, and (somehow) 60 years old. I found the wing to be too big when it came to slow turns and simply maneuvering it in parking situations. But through practice and perseverance and YouTube tutorials, I’m growing more comfortable with it. Hopefully I’ll make it back to New England this year.  It’s been over ten years since i was up there with the Shadow. Divorce complicated my life for about a decade, but it’s settling down, finally. 

Thanks for the reply. 

ParrotheadSteve

Jul-31

Totally understand. I have an interesting paradox. I help companies use social media and digital channels for better customer experience - especially for customer service - but I too have cut down my FB time, mostly participating in a few of the groups I belong to and blocking or unfriending people spewing toxic BS. 

My wife and I are both close to 6', so size shouldn't be an issue, but yes slow tight turns & parking can be a challenge. If I do go to a bigger bike, definitely getting one w/ reverse. I can push my 650 V Star around easily.. that won't be the case w/ a Wing or Venture!

Keep both down, and ping if you make it back up this way!

OLRON (VN1600)

Aug-4

Glad to see you guys in here. I qut riding in 2008, so you probably don't know me. I have stayed semi active in here and it is very rare that I get on facebook. I am one of the original NERd's. Have a great time riding. Let me know when you decide to ride to Maine. I'm west of Portland in Standish. Check out message 1.1 & 1.2. Ron

PuckerNoMore

Aug-14

Hey Cliff. I remember you from this forum. I was on here all the time. Sad that this forum is gone. I bought a GOLDWING also. Last year I flew out to TX picked up a 2007 with 8968 miles on it. Rode it to Phoenix, picked up my wife at the airport and toured Utah for a week then rode it home to NH. Fantastic machine. Good luck with yours. Good to see you're still kicking. 

Easy Ed (epconde)

Aug-24

This forum is not gone. Folks simply stopped posting to it. It is wide open if folks wish to post.

Ed

PuckerNoMore

Aug-25

I stand corrected Ed. Couldn't post if it was gone. Hope you and Deb are well. Followed your recent trip. Looked like a great ride. I'll be riding some of those roads coming up.
Be well
Rich
OLRON (VN1600)

Aug-26

I check in here almost everyday. Haven't done so for the last 3 days though as the last of my 3 brothers passed away last Saturday.

Ron

Bobmeinet

Aug-26

Sorry for the loss of your brothers.