New England Riders

Hosted by Easy Ed (epconde)

The NER is a group of motorcyclists that self organize in this forum and a Facebook Group to ride and have fun with other riders. We are an inclusive group - all motorcycle brands are welcome. It is not a club – no dues, membership, or officers.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Racing Trivia   General Topics

Started by oldstonejim; 478058 views.
oldstonejim

11/24/04

Damm, I wish I copied some of those match races.....Hmm....Now you got me thinking I should know this....the pressure...Im tempted to cheat...but I'll keep thinking...Eric can you help?

I sent you my addy, I cant believe your sending me a gift......BTW...my John K helmet is different and thats not the Biaggi Im looking for.  Did you ever see the one Im talking about?

I have a another ?, I dont know this one,  Back in mid 80's there was a motorcycle racing movie that had some scene filmed on the top of Mt Wachussett, the story was about 2 brothers that built their own GP racing bike and brought it over to Europe.  I think it came out in 86-87.  Any Idea the name?

Jim,

My JK rep is the first gen helmet he had, it was a cross between Kenny Roberts helmet & his own, this was back in 90, 91, 92.

Yea I remeber the chrome one, then he went to AGV for a sponsor.  Have fun finding that one.

The only GP movie I remember is the 80 B flick "Silver Dream Racer".  Where a privateer Nick Freeman races an old TS and his brother (Greg) an engineer was making a gp bike but got killed, so his widow gave him the bike and he gets going and races it at Silverstone (it was taped at the 79 Silverstone GP, a recovered Suzuki, which was also the first race for the NR500).  Beau Bridges was the american superstar in the show.

Oh yea, I've got that!

I've got the new GP flick Faster also.

Tell me what your looking for for 80's races, I got some stuff.  I've got over 4,000 hours of race stuff.

oldstonejim

11/24/04

Hey I think that is the movie, and they re- released it in 86 on VHS.  That sounds like the same story, I cant believe they would make a remake of that classic film..lol

My wifes JK helmet is the bell, its gotta be at least 10years old, maybe older.

Earlier in this post I went searching for my old vhs tapes, I have a feeling they ended up in the dumpster with the 20boxes of old mags. :( 

Im still searching, and thinking, you got me thinking its a trick ?  like maybe its not a racer I should be thinking about but maybe a tuner or owner....hmmm  

Jim,

J. Kocinski didn't get Bell Sponsorship until 96 or 97.  Hers is most likely based on the Bell M1.

Nope, he may be a tuner now, but was the rider.  His initials are JB.

Are you interested in Silver Dream Racer?

oldstonejim

11/26/04

truck c

Tim, love the kerker ad.

Yes, I love a copy of that movie, Im sure its the one I thinkin of, Here's one scene I remember ( this was filmed on Mt wachussett ) Kid was praticing on a county road, and there was a logging truck coming out of the woods, on a dirt road and of course the truck crosses the road just as the kid is flying by.

I think you got me on the ??, but I'll guess and say Bettencourt Honda, didnt they use to be on rt 9 in natick, I think there was a John Bettencourt that did some local racing back in the late 70's and Early 80's

thats my best guess. 

oldstonejim

11/26/04

Here's my wife helmet, and I think I got one of mine, if not I snap a photo next week, helmet is at my office.

My helmet is

Jim,

You got it John Bettencourt.  Yup, that's the Bell M1, he went with Bell Sponsorship after Shoei.

Nope, that's not the movie I got but I'm going to look into it.

Wow, you are old...LOL, you remember the Kerker ads.

• Edited 11/26/2004 6:30 pm ET by Pure Lunacy (lunatictim)
oldstonejim

11/26/04

I was gonna guess that before you put up the hint. I wonder if thats the same relation to Saddlebum? Keith, im sure your reading got some conections to them?

Ah yeh I loved those old kerker ads, my 2nd bike was a 81 gs450e I had a 2:1 kerker, that baby kicked a$$ and sounded great for a inline 2, hit a telephone pole with that bike, then got run over by a passing car while laying on the ground, good bike though 

Maybe that movie Im thinking of was made in the mid 80's I know I rented it in vhs before I got married in 88 so it was out before that.

I found a internet movie data base once and It wasnt listed on that under " motorcycles" 

In reply toRe: msg 1
oldstonejim

11/26/04

who's racing career ended in 1989 in a weird racing accident?  And what was so strange about the accident?

Bonus, who was the other rider in the accident and what was he doing?