New England Riders

Hosted by Easy Ed (epconde)

The NER is a group of motorcyclists that self organize in this forum and a Facebook Group to ride and have fun with other riders. We are an inclusive group - all motorcycle brands are welcome. It is not a club – no dues, membership, or officers.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Racing Trivia   General Topics

Started by oldstonejim; 474278 views.

Jim,

Steve Baker is right, but the year is '77 in the short lived Formula 750 2-stroke class.  King Kenny won the 500 GP title '78, '79, & '80.....almost '83.

OK.....did the NR500 ever win a "race"

What track

What was special about the NR500

oldstonejim

11/6/04

Tim,Tim,Tim.......You must know the last 4stroke gp bike to win a FIM gp race was Mike " the Bike" Hailwood in the late 60's in the great white north of canada. Of course until motogp started

Now the Oval Piston NR500 may have won a FIM World Endurance race sometime in early 80's but Im pretty sure it never won a 500gp

While we are talking honda V's can you name the first Honda v-4 racer, and who rode it?

Jim,

The last 4-stroke in the premier class of GP to win was in '76, it was Agostini on the MV Augusta.

I asked if the NR ever won a "race" not a gp event.....it was Freddie Spencer at Laguna Seca at nonpoints paying event.

Well, I did some digging to make sure, but when Honda got back into racing with it was with the V-4 NR(not ready)500....this was their first V-4.  2 of them were entered in the '79 British GP of Silverstone (which footage from the B flick Silver Dream Racer was taken).  The riders were Mick Grant & Takazumi Katayama.  Mick's NR seized and as you can see in the movie......burn.

Tim "Lunatic" Duguay

a.k.a.:The Handicapped Biker

VROC #10560

'73 Honda ST90

<

Because your ride should be as individual as you are.

Click here to see My Bike and Accessories at CruiserCustomizing
Click on the picture to see my bike and accessories at
www.CruiserCustomizing.com/Lunatic

Edited 11/6/2004 9:20 pm ET by Pure Lunacy (lunatictim)

Edited 11/6/2004 9:22 pm ET by Pure Lunacy (lunatictim)
oldstonejim

11/6/04

Tim, I ment honda's last 4stroke victory....sorry...also

I left out...round piston v4 on my question, So what was the first regular v4 by honda and who rode it.

Didnt the nr500 win a world endurance race as well?

Edited 11/6/2004 10:51 pm ET by oldstonejim

Edited 11/6/2004 11:16 pm ET by oldstonejim

Edited 11/6/2004 11:17 pm ET by oldstonejim

Jim,

I just need to know 2-stroke or 4-stroke.  Yea, I think it might have won a round, but I think it was upped to a bigger displacement by then, you never see anything mentioned.

Tim "Lunatic" Duguay

a.k.a.:The Handicapped Biker

VROC #10560

'73 Honda ST90

<

Because your ride should be as individual as you are.

Click here to see My Bike and Accessories at CruiserCustomizing
Click on the picture to see my bike and accessories at
www.CruiserCustomizing.com/Lunatic

Edited 11/7/2004 10:41 am ET by Pure Lunacy (lunatictim)
kencorcoran

11/7/04

do you guys (you jim anyone?) think with the new track surface that the big show will ever come back?

Ken,

Yes & No, but most likely no.  It's not the resurfacing of the NASCAR track that was the root of the problem it's the transitions from the car track to the old bike sections.

AMA gave them a list of problems to fix and they put Band-Aids on them and when AMA came to certify the track they said no so the they ended the relationship.  Well a year later they decided to implement all the fixes after the '02 (WERA) races to try to coax them back, but it was too late.

Like you, I hope they can come back.....until then I won't frequent the track.

In reply toRe: msg 20
oldstonejim

11/10/04

Who's nickname was " the rocket" and why did he get this nickname?

Bonus, what was special about one of the bikes he rode?

In reply toRe: msg 21
oldstonejim

11/14/04

What former supercross world champion retired from supercross only to give GP racing a chance in the 90's

What cigarette company sponsored his bike and what bike was it?