Economy & Healthcare -  Enough! (2642 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Kisa (Fools_Bane) DelphiPlus Member Icon3/21/09 3:52 PM 
To: ♦ Nonconformist ♦ (EMERSONHOST) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (11 of 15) 
 10556.11 in reply to 10556.10 

A lot of industries would also be against it, for self-interest, because they're owned by or have as major portion/shareholders, reinsurance conglomerates.

Reinsurance companies own or have controlling interests in some forms of media, production companies, pharmaceuticals firms and conglomerates, agribusiness and I don't remember what actual materials forming industries they're involved in (metals, concrete, paving, etc.)  They tend to buy into and "invest" in (for their shareholders) industries which require "completion" bonds on contracts to produce or manufacture, or they literally "create" so-called "service industries" by presenting a "need" for something to be explained.

They have their paws in what's left of hard copy publishing, even.

::sigh::

Reply   Options 

From: ♦ Nonconformist ♦ (EMERSONHOST) DelphiPlus Member Icon3/21/09 5:18 PM 
To: Kisa (Fools_Bane) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (12 of 15) 
 10556.12 in reply to 10556.11 
I worked in the industry when it was still more regulated - and even reinsurers had to have some reserves and ability to cover what they were claiming to cover!  Or at least the insurance companies I worked for only dealt with such reinsurers.

Calling the financial instruments something other than insurance didn't make it so.  That Orwellian trick -- and the happy collaboration of a Republican president and Congress -- has caused so much pain.

-------

"My country right or wrong -- when right to be kept right, when wrong to be put right." -- Carl Shurz
"You can't ignore politics, no matter how much you'd like to." -- Molly Ivins 1944-2007
"Not being able to do everything is no excuse for not doing everything you can." -- Ashleigh Brilliant

Wisdom Quotes

From: Kisa (Fools_Bane) DelphiPlus Member Icon3/21/09 5:29 PM 
To: ♦ Nonconformist ♦ (EMERSONHOST) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (13 of 15) 
 10556.13 in reply to 10556.12 

Olberman gave the final warning to these greedy fucks... and IMNSHO to President Obama and his cabinet:  His "Enough" speech.

Either clean 'em up and break 'em up -- really, break 'em up:

or there WILL be violence.

From: ♦ Nonconformist ♦ (EMERSONHOST) DelphiPlus Member Icon3/21/09 5:30 PM 
To: Kisa (Fools_Bane) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (14 of 15) 
 10556.14 in reply to 10556.13 
We just got word that our bank is being bought by a bigger and sleazier-reputation bank.  Ugh.  I hope that new regulations scare them away from this purchase.  It won't be good for us.

-------

"My country right or wrong -- when right to be kept right, when wrong to be put right." -- Carl Shurz
"You can't ignore politics, no matter how much you'd like to." -- Molly Ivins 1944-2007
"Not being able to do everything is no excuse for not doing everything you can." -- Ashleigh Brilliant

Wisdom Quotes

From: Kisa (Fools_Bane) DelphiPlus Member Icon3/21/09 5:34 PM 
To: ♦ Nonconformist ♦ (EMERSONHOST) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (15 of 15) 
 10556.15 in reply to 10556.14 

Hang in there.  If Congress doesn't get off its ass, if this administration doesn't speedily initiate and put into place plugs in every ripoff hole throughout the economic system in this country, our last best hope will have shot itself in the fucking foot.

First Discussion>>

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-15
Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.