Meta

Hosted by DigYourGig|Meta/Pulling To The Left group on Facebook

Politics, news, culture, entertainment. (If you don't want to view this forum in Zeta mode, you don't have to. Update your preferences and select "View all forums in Classic mode.)

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Orrin Hatch out, Mitt Romney (most likely) in   Politics

Started Jan-3 by DigYourGig; 506 views.
DigYourGig
Host

Jan-3

Big Trump supporter Orrin Hatch has announced he's retiring from the Senate, joining a long line of Republican lawmakers who are jumping congressional ship. Hatch's exit most likely opens the door for vehement Trump critic (even though he kissed up to Trump when he thought he could get a cabinet post) Mitt Romney.

Knotpicky (RUTA)

Jan-3

Romney is a Republican. If the voters in Utah have any common sense, they'd vote Romney out also and elect a Democrat instead. Romney has criticized Trump, but I still wouldn't trust him to work for the benefit of the people rather than large corporations. Romney also didn't release his tax returns, merely said that he'd paid "at least 13%" the year before. An employee earning under $100,000 per year would usually pay at least 16-18%.

I would not say an 83 year old with 42 years service is "bailing", he is actually quite elderly to consider running for another 6 year term in 2018.  We do not need another Strom Thurmond or similar nonagenarian and more doddering around DC as a figurehead for AARP. 

Admittedly, 90 year olds can be sharp as tacks but the potential for death or disability is very high and the political and social ramifications of that sort of disruption are not really all that beneficial to the electorate.

My comments apply to D or R or I candidates.

Exactly, that is why I objected to the PROMO comment about him "Bailing."

DigYourGig
Host

Jan-5

Hatch is joining a long list - and getting longer - of Republicans bailing from Congress.

The reason is obvious. They know a political bloodbath is coming in 2018, and they know it's because they rammed through a hugely unpopular bill. Voters are incensed and they know it.

But now they've got their money and their huge tax breaks, and have started dismantling the social safety net, so they want out.

Hatch is not bailing for political reasons, he is an old man and may just want a year or two of peace.

Some of the others, D and R, are bailing because they can't keep themselves under control, acting like a bunch of randy teens or being simply thieves with their hands caught in the cookie jar.  Some who have left waved their wieners too much or been caught stealing from constituents (Brown of FL) with scam charities and so on.  With 535 over enthusiastic privilege class folks, it is not hard to find the stupid or sly ones.

DigYourGig
Host

Jan-5

Bike (URALTOURIST1) said:

Hatch is not bailing for political reasons

In your opinion.

Bike (URALTOURIST1) said:

Some of the others, D and R

While some Democrats are retiring, it's nothing compared to the number of Republicans who are bailing out, now that they've succeeded in their heist. They don't want to be around for the backlash. I've interviewed many congressional staffers for these bailing Republicans and that's what they're saying.

Aren't you lucky to not have the opportunity to interview Democrats staffers??

DigYourGig
Host

Jan-5

It has nothing to do with luck. I work hard and take my job seriously. I interview politicians, staffers, experts, and all kinds of people on all sides of ideological fences.

• Edited January 5, 2018 12:28 pm  by  DigYourGig