Meta

Hosted by DigYourGig|Meta/Pulling To The Left group on Facebook

Politics, news, culture, entertainment. (If you don't want to view this forum in Zeta mode, you don't have to. Update your preferences and select "View all forums in Classic mode.)

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Gun laws work   Culture & Society

Started Feb-18 by DigYourGig; 3028 views.
DigYourGig
Host

Feb-18

Connecticut, which passed a strict gun law after the 2012 shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School, has seen a sharp drop in the number of gun deaths.

Knotpicky (RUTA)

Feb-18

Not exactly new idea, since strict gun laws have cut deaths in the rest of the world.

It's just gun nuts who are against rational regulations. From the article:

Today, the registry lists 52,648 assault weapons. A single resident registered 179 assault weapons, while another registered more than 500,000 magazines exceeding the 10-round limit.

It's totally unreasonable to think that 179 assault weapons are for self defense. That arsenal is for offense, most likely against minorities.

DigYourGig
Host

Feb-18

There is absolutely no sane, humane need for a civilian to have an AR-15 or similar type weapon. The weapon is designed specifically to kill as many people as possible as quickly as possible.

Piemur

Feb-19

I'd love to know how many oversize magazines the resident with all those assault weapons has, and how many weapons the one with all the magazines has. As you said, those aren't the kinds of numbers you'd expect to see for defense. And I hope neither of those people advertises what they have as their homes could become prime targets for someone wanting to steal guns and/or ammunition.
Piemur

Feb-19

The more "sane" of us out here realize that, but the gun nuts will keep telling us there is one. While my old neighbor was a bit of a right winger, at least that was one thing he and I did agree on.
In reply toRe: msg 4
Knotpicky (RUTA)

Feb-19

Good point. I suspect both of those characters have an overabundance of the other item. Ya need both for a "war between the races." Damn domestic terrorists.

HWPeeler (HPeeler)

Feb-19

Knotpicky (RUTA) said:

most likely against minorities.

??? What makes you say that? Was the person who registered those 179 guns a minority? Did he sell guns?

HWPeeler (HPeeler)

Feb-19

Piemur said:

, those aren't the kinds of numbers you'd expect to see for defense.

They are the numbers I would expect from somebody who sold guns.

MSurkont

Feb-19

It should be targeted by someone who wants to destroy them.

razzkar

Feb-28

I am go to be civil. The AR-15 is a rifle. Only in appearance does it look like a weapon to kill as many people as quickly as possible. Then again you make the same statement for a Ruger 10/22 rifle. The AR is not an assault weapon. A person is unable by law to purchase any rifle that fires automatically. What people are buying for the AR-15 is a item called a Bump Stock. This replaces the stock on the AR-15 making it shoot as if it were an automatic rifle. I back the NRA and the second amendment 100% but I DO NOT believe these Bump Stocks should be sold. Making the rifle into an automatic is against the law for you are now making this semi-automatic into an assault weapon.