MetaForum: politics/culture/news

Hosted by DigYourGig|Meta/Pulling To The Left group on Facebook

Politics, news, culture, entertainment. (If you don't want to view this forum in Zeta mode, you don't have to. Update your preferences and select "View all forums in Classic mode.)

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Baby, It's Cold Outside   Culture & Society

Started Dec-3 by DigYourGig; 192 views.
DigYourGig
Host

Dec-3

A radio station in Cleveland won't play "Baby It's Cold Outside," a song written in 1944, because in 2018 in light of the Me Too Movement, it's lyrics come off as a bit rapey at worst, and creepy at best.

I always thought the lyrics were a bit creepy and never liked the song. I have no problem if a radio station wants to stop playing it. It's their choice, and no one should force them to play a song they don't want to play.

But others are up in arms and are sure this "censorship" is a sign of the collapse of (male) civilization.

What do you think?

Knotpicky (RUTA)

Dec-3

I've never liked that song, never liked the lyrics. They're creepy, manipulative, and degrading to the woman. Even when sung for humor, as a woman trying to get a man to spend the night, it's manipulative and creepy.

So where's the idea that a business can do what it finds best for itself and customers? The people up in arms about it are in the wrong, trying to control a business's decision. I suspect these are the same RWNJs who support pharmacists refusing to give contraceptives or day-after abortion pills to women and clerks who refuse marriage licenses to same-sex couples.

Of course, I've never like "Santa, Baby" either, and find it manipulative and a very childish attitude for the woman singing it. I hate that song.

DigYourGig
Host

Dec-3

I hate most Xmas music, with the notable exceptions of "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" and "I Believe in Father Christmas."

Snick1946

Dec-4

I enjoy most Christmas music. I am not religious but find a lot of the classics such as Handel's Messiah to be uplifting. 

I admit to a weakness for 'Run, Run Rudolph' by Chuck Berry. 

Hector442

Dec-4

I just listened to the song for the first time.  It's less subtle than a Roger Ailes come on.

• Edited December 4, 2018 12:48 pm  by  Hector442
MSurkont

Dec-4

It's a love song from both points of view.

MSurkont

Dec-4

Little ST. Nick by the Beach Boys.

I like a lot of the religious Xmas songs because of the music, not the fable.

they should do a documentary about this on the Who Gives a Shit channel

DigYourGig
Host

Dec-6

I also find "Santa Claus is Comin' to Town" by Bruce Springsteen acceptable, as is "Please Come Home for Christmas" by the Eagles.

As far as "Baby It's Cold Outside," while it's possible the lyrics originally had no ill intent, it's a fact that perceptions of words changes. Just a few decades ago people regularly used the word "gay" as "happy," but today the context of the word is entirely different.

Also, there's a more significant issue: Radio stations aren't required to play any song they don't want to play. It's as simple as that. Anybody who's dead set on hearing "Baby It's Cold Outside" can stream or download it from practically anywhere. I suspect now, as backlash, fans of Bill Cosby and misogynists will "adopt" the song.