Meta

Hosted by DigYourGig

Politics, news, culture, entertainment. (If you don't want to view this forum in Zeta mode, you don't have to. Update your preferences and select "View all forums in Classic mode.)

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Why Don't We Get Out Of The Mid East   Military & War

Started Oct-31 by CoachDonSul; 115 views.
CoachDonSul

Oct-31

Why is the US in the Middle East

Since 1980, we have invaded, occupied and/or bombed at least 14 different Muslim countries. After the sacrifice of thousands of American lives and trillions of dollars, the region is now a cauldron of death and destruction. Yet, we persist, with no end in sight. As a former Air Force General Charles F. Wald remarked told the Washington Post, “We’re not going to see an end to this in our lifetime.”

The ordinary citizen trying to make sense of all this might reasonably ask: why? The president’s answer is that the war is in our “national interest.” Congress says, Amen. The phrase causes politicians and pundits on talk shows to synchronize the nodding of their heads, signaling that the national interest should not have to be explained — and certainly not debated.

SOURCE: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/jeff-faux/why-are-we-in-the-middle_b_7301370.html

[edited for amount of copy/paste. see start page for details]

• Edited November 1, 2017 11:40 am  by  DigYourGig
Knotpicky (RUTA)

Nov-1

Interesting read. Do you agree with the writer? And how can the citizenry pressure government officials to withdraw from the Middle East? Seems to me that military contractors, oil companies and the Israeli lobby have much more clout than the people. Both Republican and Democratic politicians use the "national security" argument for remaining engaged in Middle East problems.

CoachDonSul

Nov-1

Seems to me that military contractors, oil companies and the Israeli lobby have much more clout than the people. Both Republican and Democratic politicians use the "national security" argument for remaining engaged in Middle East problems.

Knotpicky

I wonder if horses and blacksmiths thought the same way about automobiles? Were Sears and Penny"s executives worried about Walmart? Could Walmart’s success be eclipsed by Amazon?

Never underestimate the power of an idea to create change, especially if it effects peoples lives, wallets or purses. smile

And yes, I agree with the author. Do you?

In reply toRe: msg 3
Snick1946

Nov-1

One word answer:

ISRAEL

Any politician bold enough to suggest Israel should go it alone would be decimated by the Israel Lobby and by sappy Evangelicals.