MetaForum: politics/culture/news

Hosted by Meta (DigYourGig)|Meta/Pulling To The Left group on Facebook

Politics, news, culture, entertainment. (If you don't want to view this forum in Zeta mode, you don't have to. Update your preferences and select "View all forums in Classic mode.)

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

A crime for poor people to carry money   News

Started by Novovox; 3608 views.
Novovox
Staff

3/18/11

This is almost unbelievable. The sheer pettiness and spitefulness, and hate shown for the poor, is incredible.

St. Paul, MN – Minnesota Republicans are pushing legislation that would make it a crime for people on public assistance to have more $20 in cash in their pockets any given month. This represents a change from their initial proposal, which banned them from having any money at all.

davepete

3/18/11

Dammit those people are sick fuks.

Novovox
Staff

3/18/11

That seems to be an appropriate term for them.
GeorgeMars

3/18/11

I mentioned this to a friend of mine who works in a bank, and he said that this proposal sounds like a violation of our civil rights - should this pass.

Talk about declaring war on poverty!

BladeSwinger (mumei)

3/19/11

How can they enforce it?
amyjane2484

3/19/11

It means that if you need to do laundry, it's one transaction, a trip to the doctor another transaction, buying soap and tampons perhaps a third. Each transaction racking up a bank fee.
Novovox
Staff

3/19/11

Yes, I don't see how in the world this law would pass constitutional muster. But it does illustrate the mean spiritedness of the conservatives in that state.
Novovox
Staff

3/19/11

I suppose the propose to stop poor people on the street and force them to empty their pockets. But such a law would not pass constitutional muster.
Novovox
Staff

3/19/11

Seen in that light, it's another way for the big banks to make more money.

Totally bogus and deliberately inflammatory reporting. Any retail store which accepts a debit or credit card will accept these welfare cards. That goes for ALL utility payment centers as well.

The reason these rules are put in effect is because the welfare recipients who have cash in their hand will buy liquer, drugs and anything else the want and are prohibited from buying under rules of welfare. Welfare money is for NECESSITIES ONLY.

If  a welfare recipient wants booze or cigarettes let them get off their dead butts and get a freakin' job. Some of these people are 3rd a 4th generation takers of the taxpayers money.